HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-30-2023, 11:30 AM   #1
NHRA1926

Liked 161 Times in 51 Posts
Default Setting Throttle Stop RPM

What is the easiest way to set the rpm on the throttle stop while not actually driving the car down the track? I'd like to try to set it while running the car on jack stands preferably.
NHRA1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 07:03 PM   #2
sst5167

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: Setting Throttle Stop RPM

To be very specific on how to do it, we need to know a little more about your set up. But the short of it is, all you need to do is reverse the air or polarity of the throttle stop so it closes. Pull the car into low gear, set the trans brake, a go to wide open throttle. The RPM the car goes to should be very close to what it is on the track.
sst5167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 12:22 AM   #3
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 700 Times in 204 Posts

I use a toggle switch bypass to dump the air at the stop . I always warm the trans to 180-200 degrees before checking the rpm. As Keith said set the brake and wack the throttle . I do a 2 second hold . I have a digital dash so it's easy to see the exact rpm . I also data record the test to confirm the rpm .
If you have a properly calibrated carb you should have a nice flat line on the stop rpm .
My test rpm matches my track rpm within 10-15 rpm.
Old 12-04-2023, 01:01 PM   #4
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 179 Times in 77 Posts

The info you have been given thus far is pretty good.. please remember to get the motor and trans up to your normal operating temperatures.. THIS IS IMPORTANT!!.. convertors are known to vary in stall rpm with different temperatures, which will affect your cruise rpm.. also, Tom's 2 second hold while on the brake is equally important, as some convertors are known to creep up in rpm.. it may initially hit where you want it, but move 50 to 100 rpm on the hold.. adjust off the HOLD..

As I'm always told "The Track Is The Best Dyno".. a data recorder, or RacePak, will always show you where you're really at...
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote