HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Stock/Super Stock Associations > Carolina Class Racers Association
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-16-2023, 12:58 PM   #1
Tabitha Draughon

Liked 672 Times in 220 Posts
Default CCRA Crew Chief Spotlight

This year CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association is going to do something a little different. In past years, we have done Sponsor Spotlights & Racer Spotlights but this year, we're going to do a Crew Chief Spotlight (Thanks to good friend, Candy Blinson for the suggestion)! The crew chief position is one of the most vital roles of any job at the track; although I don't think many crew chiefs in drag racing consider it a job. We're going to start out 2023 with none other than Mr. Terry Roland. He is the 2021/2022 Back to Back Championship winning Crew Chief & as also selected by CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association racers as the 2022 Crew Chief of the Year. Like most will agree, I think Mr. Terry earned this title!

Mr. Terry is 77 years young & lives in Columbia, SC. This is a father/son team with Raymond holding the title as driver of his Ford Maverick. Mr. Terry got into this additive sport by attending a drag race with Raymond at Darlington Dragway. Mr. Terry has been crewing for Raymond for 25 years. He says that his Most Memorable win was the 2022 final CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association at Coastal Plains Raceway Park Dragway in which Raymond had to win the race to clinch his 2nd points championship. Although Raymond has performed well at Coastal Plains Raceway Park Dragway, Mr. Terry's favorite track is Rockingham Dragway. Some of his roles as crew chief both on & off the track include: recording stats, tire pressure, discussing ET, checking track temperature, & assisting in the engine building process. This father/son team broke out the later part of 2022 with a new engine combination which required quite a bit of updating to the trusty Ford Maverick to be able to stand the new, faster ET's they were expecting. Mr. Terry says that one of his least favorite things of being crew chief for Raymond is discussing the ET. I mean, he doesn't want to be blamed by driver if he loses & listened to dad on what to dial! 🤣 Being the crew chief for his son, Mr. Terry has to listen to Raymond complain about heat & track conditions. The funniest story that Mr. Terry has with his son will be a story we've all read about before as it was on Raymond's driver spotlight in February 2022. They were at Rockingham Dragway & a header got caught on something on their trailer. They removed the header at the track & carried it with them back to their hotel. Tom Gould (The Grey Ghost) was in the room next to them & he thought they were fugitives trying to saw off their handcuffs. Mr. Tom was relieved the next morning when he stepped out his hotel room & saw Terry & Raymond come out of their room with said header. This will be a story that is brought up in the Roland Team pits for many years to come!

Be sure to congratulate Mr. Terry Roland on being selected as Crew Chief of the Year for 2022 when you see him at the track this year. If you pay attention to him, you'll see him performing his roles flawlessly. Thank you for your support Mr. Terry & we look forward to seeing you in March!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Terry Roland.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	65861  
Tabitha Draughon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 11:42 AM   #2
Tabitha Draughon

Default Re: CCRA Crew Chief Spotlight

CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association Crew Chief Spotlight

The saying is behind every strong man, there is a strong woman that supports him! This is in fact the truth with the crew chief spotlight this week as we are talking about Mrs. Samantha McLawhorn, wife of Avery McLawhorn. Sam is 27 years young & resides in Snow Hill, NC. She was first introduced to drag racing in 2010 when she met Avery. She would go with Avery, his dad Mr. Ed, & his grandad to the races. She has been crewing for Avery for a little over two years & they both agree that there is many more years to come. She jokingly says that her most memorable win (round wins) with Avery, "does making it in the 3rd round count? 😉"! Her favorite track is GALOT Motorsports Park. Sam's duties as primary crew chief for Avery is opening the imaginary can of "whoop *****" in the pits & sporting the stylish purple flame golf cart. Her least favorite part of the job & I think most with agree with her here is towing Avery back to the trailer with the golf cart (Rockingham Dragway 2021). He literally broke EVERYTHING! Hence why he hasn't raced his car since but hopefully it makes a return in 2023. Sam says that Avery's biggest complaint as a driver/racer is Summit Racing Equipment free shipping requirement. But wait, why is Avery buying from Summit Racing Equipment when Tabitha Moore Draughon owns Redline Speed Shop. Looks like Mr. Avery might be in the doghouse now after reading his wife's crew chief profile. I'll handle Avery McLawhorn when I get finished with this post. One of the funny stories involving racing with Avery, Samantha, Ed, & Annell comes from GALOT Motorsports Park in 2021. The sportsman laddering system initially had Avery with a head-up run (UH-OH). The crew spent 20 minutes frantically icing/fanning/cooling down the car, changing fluids, etc in a true panic to then find out NHRA Southeast Division 2 messed up the ladder...Sam states well that was cool, no pun intended!

Avery & Ed are working very hard to get Avery's red Chevy II back to the track this year so be on the lookout for Sam cruising around on her purple flamed golf cart. Be sure to tell her hello & that she's doing a great job. Can't wait to see the entire McLawhorn Family in March!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SML.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	65891  
Old 03-08-2023, 12:32 PM   #3
Tabitha Draughon

This week takes us to Lexington, NC; home of Mrs. Jamie Troutman Truell. Mrs. Jamie is 54 years young & is the back-bone behind her husband Lee Truell. This is another example of a husband/wife team & Jamie does her part keeping Lee straight. She has been crewing for Lee for about 7 years now & the plans aren't to slow down anytime in the near future. Her most memorable win is Lee's win at Coastal Plains Raceway Park Dragway in 2021. Her favorite track is also GALOT Motorsports Park. She lists a few of her duties as dusting off the car & being the "Burn Out Girl". Like most of us, her least favorite duties of being crew chief is the heat. Jamie states that Lee's biggest complaint for her crew chief duties is "I don't do enough". 🤔 Once this gets out, Lee might be in the doghouse & Jamie might be open for another crew chief position! Lee I hope you have running water & heat/AC in the doghouse! 🙂 A funny story involving racing between Lee & Jamie was once they were at the gate to get into the track. Lee forgot his competition number & got an attitude with the lady at the gate because she couldn't find his tech card. He proceeded to say "well I'm Lee Truell & I'm leading the points so I know it's in there". Jamie, I need more details about this story!

I hope Lee & Jamie have their hot rod ready for our first race at Coastal Plains Raceway Park Dragway in 2 short weeks. Be sure to tell Jamie she is doing a fine job! The countdown is on to see all of our CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association racers very soon!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jtt1.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	66180  
Old 03-15-2023, 01:02 PM   #4
Tabitha Draughon

Scott Marshall, crew chief for wife, Hillarey, from Sanford, NC is getting all our focus this week. Scott is 45 years young & got involved in street racing as soon as he got his license. His first passes down a track was at Rockingham Dragway in his Ford Motor Company Mustangs. Scott has been crewing for Hillarey for 2 1/2 years. Although Hillarey hasn't won a race yet with Scott as her crew chief, his most memorable race is when she got runner-up honors at the NHRA Northeast Division at Virginia Motorsports Park. Just as the past few week's crew chiefs, Scott's favorite track is also GALOT Motorsports Park. He actually crews for 2 cars at most races as Hillarey & her father, Tim typically compete at all of our CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association races. His duties include: hooking & unhooking battery chargers, adding fuel, checking tire pressure, & turning on the computer after each car is pre-staged. There is a picture on Hillarey's Facebook of Scott's least favorite duties as a crew chief & that is changing trailer tires when they blow out. Hillarey has been involved in racing many, many years & most people will remember her for her white with blue lettering paint job. A few years ago she had a complete overhaul on the car & her car received the current black/hot pink/green paint job that she currently showcases so with that being said, Scott states that his driver's biggest complaint is "don't scratch her paint"! One of the funny racing stories is they once got locked out of the motorhome & Scott had to push Hillarey through the window to unlock the door. Honestly, that's not the funny story that I expected Scott to share but I guess he wants to forget the one about having to leave Coastal Plains Raceway Park Dragway the week after their honeymoon to go find his wedding band! 😎

I know as of last weekend the Sloan/Marshall crew was installing the motor in Hillarey's car so hopefully that means they will be at our first race next weekend at Coastal Plains Raceway Park Dragway. If you see Scott around the pits, be sure to tell him hello & you read about him on Facebook. See y'all in 9️⃣ days at the track for the start of our 2️⃣0️⃣2️⃣3️⃣ season!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SM11.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	66457  
Old 03-22-2023, 05:18 PM   #5
Tabitha Draughon

This week we're going to take a ride to Wytheville, VA, home of Mrs. Sara Carty, crew chief for her husband Homer. She got involved in racing after meeting Homer & has been crewing for him for about 11 years now. If anyone knows Homer, they know how busy he keeps his crew chief because he attempts to race every class (that he is allowed &#129315 as he'd try to race junior dragster if he could. Sara recalls her favorite win with Homer was his IHRA Stock Eliminator win at Farmington Dragway without even making a time run. Unlike the past few weeks with our crew chiefs choosing GALOT Motorsports Park as their favorite track, Sara says she's not real sure she has one. Sara is a mom at the track first but when she is taking care of her girls, Sierra & Gracie aka Meanie, her crew chief roles include checking tire pressures & assisting in the water box. Although Sara didn't necessarily least her least favorite job being a crew chief for Homer, I'd have to say it is probably loading up. If you know Homer, he carries half his racing shop in the trailer with him with his 2 race cars & golf cart. Sara states that Homer's biggest complaint racing is when he is has breakage. The funny story that Sara wants to share about racing is one weekend when they were racing at GALOT Motorsports Park, Mark "The Kid" Jones (Mike to Gracie) was babysitting these two feisty girls while they were running. While he was looking after the girls, Grace decided to use some of her WWE moves and beat him up. She whipped him with her 20 lb elbow drop. Anyone who knows Mark, knows the fun he has with these 2 girls.

I talked to Homer last evening & got word that Sara & the girls won't be making the trip to Coastal Plains Raceway Park Dragway this weekend for our season opener as the girls need to be ready for school on Monday morning but when you see Sara at the next race, make notice of all she takes care of in the Carty pits. I'll also share that she is one hell of a cook. BTW Sara, I need some peppers please!!!! We kick off our 23 season in a few short days so we are looking forward to seeing everyone there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sc1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	66587  
Old 03-29-2023, 11:40 AM   #6
Tabitha Draughon

We're going to stop in at Broadway, NC on our way in from Wytheville, VA last week. Broadway is home to Mrs. Sheila Sloan, head crew chief of husband Tim Sloan & daughter Hillarey Sloan Marshall. Sheila is 67 years young & has been involved in racing since she started dating Tim in 1973 (50 years). They owned a race track & Tim raced. She has been crew chief for Tim for 49 years now & I don't think they intend on slowing down anytime in the near future. Her most memorable win with Tim was his 1982 IHRA Spring Nationals win at historic Rockingham Dragway. I think a lot of us missed out on the "good ole days" of racing & that's probably why this win is Mrs. Sheila's most memorable win with Tim. She like lots of other CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association crew chiefs says her favorite track is GALOT Motorsports Park. She is versatile at her crew chief duties as she is there for whatever they might need of her but her main duty is getting both Tim & Hillary in the water box. She states that her least favorite part of the crew chief position is the heat during the hot summer days & the long rides home after losing out at any given event. Sheila states that Tim doesn't have any complaints about her being his crew chief because "he doesn't want to lose his helper". I'd say she is pretty secure in her crew chief role!!! 🙂 A funny racing story that she wants to share is having to climb in the motorhome window after getting locked out & everyone thinking they had "pot" on the golf cart. I'm not sure if these two go hand & hand but I'm sure if we ask Mrs. Sheila, she would clarify.

Mrs. Sheila & The Sloan/Marshall team was at Coastal Plains Raceway Park Dragway this past weekend for what was supposed to have been our first event of the 2023 season but unfortunately the weatherman didn't predict the weather correctly & a pop-up shower out of nowhere ended our day on Saturday & a very drastic change of forecast for Sunday deemed reason to cancel the entire event & reschedule for June 24-25. We hope that they will be back for this event in June. See everyone at the track very soon!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ss2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	66627