HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-18-2020, 09:24 AM   #1
prostockpete1

Liked 71 Times in 43 Posts
Default Nelson Specialties info

does anybody have a contact for the old Nelson Specialties people who did modifications on Chevrolet V6 distributors used in the Grand National stock car series years ago . Engine shop has a tagged MSD # 8596 distributor that needs correct cap / rotor that Nelson Spec. put on .
prostockpete1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts
Default Re: Nelson Specialties info

google their website nelson specialties.com not sure if its current but has contact info etc.---FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #3
prostockpete1

Thanks FED for reply .. I got ahold of Joe Pando @ MSD and he found that distributor has been gone since 2006. But he did find the original MSD part numbers for the cap / rotor used on that unit while in production . I mite also look up other oem ignition suppliers who had that odd fire V6 replacement ignition parts
Old 03-19-2020, 08:21 AM   #4
DRAKE VISCOME

Liked 90 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostockpete1 View Post
Thanks FED for reply .. I got ahold of Joe Pando @ MSD and he found that distributor has been gone since 2006. But he did find the original MSD part numbers for the cap / rotor used on that unit while in production . I mite also look up other oem ignition suppliers who had that odd fire V6 replacement ignition parts
Nelson people alive & well...on Performance Road in Mooresville NC...phone #704-662-6600...he has done some FINE work for us with MSD distributors...truly capable "cat"...!!!
DRAKE VISCOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-19-2020, 05:39 PM   #5
prostockpete1

Ok Drake .. FYI . I.ve called Nelson phone # few times & just keeps ringing & sent emails days ago but never replies
Old 03-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #6
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

What do you need to know? You need cap and rotor? I have quite a bit of V-6 experience, I may be able to help you.
If reluctor/pickup is evenly spaced the cap will be evenly spaced on wires.
If they are staggered then cap will have wire spaced accordingly..
you can check phasing if not sure... line reluctor/pickup up at each 6 spots and check rotor/cap phasing..
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:02 PM   #7
prostockpete1

Mike .. I did get a new answer & photo from Joe Pando yesterday showing / explaining the not equal spacing of the reluctor & how to properly phase when installing in engine . But still not sure what rotor Nelson Spec. put on their modified 8596 distributor . Joe Pando gave me common in stock rotor MSD put on from factory years ago but not sure if the 8467 MSD rotor is correct for the unequal spaced reluctor since distributor came with the engine to rebuild with no rotor
Old 03-21-2020, 08:42 AM   #8
DRAKE VISCOME

Quote:
Ok Drake .. FYI . I.ve called Nelson phone # few times & just keeps ringing & sent emails days ago but never replies
Sorry you've had this trouble...am over right by his shop several times a week...could readily stop in...keeping 6 foot social distance...of course...have him contact you...assuming he doesn't have serious personal/family issue...& shop not open...NOT like him not to respond to either e-mail or phone...
Old 03-22-2020, 07:23 PM   #9
prostockpete1

Hello Drake . do me favor then pls if your can contact Nelson shop when you get moment ask if there was any special part number rotor they used on the modified 8596 msd distributors since the unit came in shop without any rotor and suspicious the one msd Joe pando claimed came from factory looks wrong in pictures we found . thank you for all previous replys
Old 03-24-2020, 10:45 AM   #10
DRAKE VISCOME

Quote:
Hello Drake . do me favor then pls if your can contact Nelson shop when you get moment ask if there was any special part number rotor they used on the modified 8596 msd distributors since the unit came in shop without any rotor and suspicious the one msd Joe pando claimed came from factory looks wrong in pictures we found . thank you for all previous replys
Pete...can/will do one day this week...for most part he is a one man show...was over the other day @ Dave Jenson's shop (right across street) picking up some fuel hose...was NO sign of life @ Nelson's...he IS a very family oriented "cat"...hope no issue(s) for him beyond what we ALL are experiencing !!!...will go hopefully make entry...see if we can get answer