HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-06-2021, 09:29 AM   #1
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 803 Times in 213 Posts
Default I need hearing aids which kind?

Ok My wife says I need hearing aids so now I have tried the amplifier and they do not work anyone have a suggestion on what kind to get ?? the smaller the better I think never protected my hearing since 1963 racing all this time lol at me
Old 05-06-2021, 09:43 AM   #2
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,705 Times in 853 Posts
Default Re: I need hearing aids which kind?

Wife has had good luck with reasonable pricing through Costco. Any needed adjustments have been easily addressed at any Costco. Pretty handy since we take extended RV trips (up until last year).
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:11 AM   #3
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts

I have also heard (pun intended) that Costco has good prices and a good product when it comes to hearing aids. My wife is considering some and has talked to Costco.

I believe you do not have to be a member to buy them, but you do need to be a member to get support past the initial warranty.

This may not be 100% correct but there is some future benefit to being a member.
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-06-2021, 10:12 AM   #4
stage1scott

Liked 97 Times in 43 Posts

once you actually have quality hearing aids, it is a life changer. Costco is absolutely hands down the best value-they have all types in all price ranges and offer a free 3 year warranty that even covers losing one set. You can also have a little bluetooth box hooked to your television that puts the sound right in your ears, easily adjust with your phone or the volume buttons themselves-tv can be muted, no one else even knows you are watching. same with music streamed from your phone while tinkering. DO IT you will love them
Liked
Old 05-06-2021, 10:25 AM   #5
Rusty Davenport

Liked 100 Times in 26 Posts

I'm with you guys.... it is where you can get service because they do require service work over time. Most people are dissatisfied because they thought they would hear as good as ever.....NOT TRUE.....but they are a great help and your success will be your willingness to work with them. Nothing will replace your natural hearing. I have been wearing them for years and I personally like buying them from an audiologist that can match them to your ear and hearing problem.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:38 AM   #6
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

Another vote for Costco. I have had them for several years and the service and support by Costco has been excellent.
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:44 AM   #7
Barry Polley

Liked 552 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kennedy View Post
Ok My wife says I need hearing aids so now I have tried the amplifier and they do not work anyone have a suggestion on what kind to get ?? the smaller the better I think never protected my hearing since 1963 racing all this time lol at me
Hey Don.
What? . Selective hearing... but I’m due too , same boat.
Liked
Old 05-06-2021, 01:21 PM   #8
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts

You need to go to an audiologist and understand what levels of hearing loss you have. Sorry but a box store is not going to have that level, or quality of product or personnel. Quality is not cheap. Do you want Bluetooth, rechargeable or willing to replace batteries each week? A box store may allow you to try them out and may also be able make slight adjustments while your in the store. That environment will be different than in your car or else where. Being in large mechanical rooms for too many years and being too dumb to use hearing protection and loud music is what caught up with me. I tried the box store ones and was not impressed by the quality or staff. I started with Phonac brand replaceable battery and no Bluetooth, then switched to Bluetooth and rechargeable within a trial period and only paid the difference. They were not cheap and our insurance covered some of the cost. It will amaze you of what you have not been hearing!
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-06-2021, 01:27 PM   #9
Bob Pagano
VIP Member

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

If you are a Vet. go to the VA no cost and they do the testing first, free replacement repair and free batteries for life.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:35 PM   #10
Tinker Toy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don,

I'm like you never protected my hearing while being around racing from a similar time period and heavy construction equipment.

Make sure what you have is not Tinnitus. Paid for audiologist to set me up with rechargeable bluetooth expensive set about 2 years ago only to find out that hearing aids will not completely do away with Tinnitus even adding " white noise" to the adjustment.

Good luck,
Tinker Toy 2 is offline   Reply With Quote