HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 01-23-2022, 06:38 PM   #11
B Parker

Liked 2,312 Times in 455 Posts
Default Re: Sharing

Am I missing something? Everyone is talking about all the help they received, but I'm sitting back waiting for someone to post something that will actually help others. Come on man give me some crumbs.
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:43 PM   #12
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 260 Posts

SMH Barry...
Try this it might help
As I age I keep thinking of a Quote and I think it was Clint Eastwood.
Memory fade on that... lol
I'm not going to "Let the OLD Man In"
or something like that...
Old 01-23-2022, 07:48 PM   #13
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 801 Times in 213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Parker View Post
Am I missing something? Everyone is talking about all the help they received, but I'm sitting back waiting for someone to post something that will actually help others. Come on man give me some crumbs.
Let go of the button go to dinner
Old 01-23-2022, 09:22 PM   #14
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,071 Times in 765 Posts

It's about leaving a legacy of, humanity, leadership, knowledge, performance and the result and the willingness to mentor others to achieve their dream.

I achieved my dream without winning a WCS or a National Event. We raced at a very high level by working on it, being fast, going rounds, and listening more than asking.

When I was a spectator watching the best before I was a contestant I wanted to race with the big dogs and I did.
Wow!
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:27 PM   #15
doglover44
VIP Member

Liked 393 Times in 181 Posts

I wanna see younger/next generation get into S/SS
Old 01-23-2022, 10:37 PM   #16
B Parker

I'll go first. My brother and I started racing in 75. Had CMS do the machine work on our first motor. They were one of the hot places at that time and we read about a big block Chevy Stocker they built that set a record. For those that are not old enough Danny and Wayne Jessel owned CMS. As dumb as we were back then about Stockers, we really didn't get much from them. Not long after that they had their share of troubles and went out of the machine shop business and started Jessel valve train products. It took us 2 years to run the index. We were lucky we ended up at a shop that was about 10 miles down the road from us. Precision Auto. Owned by what I still believe to this day were a couple of the smartest guys in the business. Dale Hall (Yes Div one hall of fame and small block chevy Alcohol dragster) and Norm were very helpful and took the time with 2 young guys that had only a small clue. I still remember after banging several valves and thinking they did something wrong. Dale came out to the house and showed us how to measure piston to valve the right way. We put the motor together and just didn't give it enough room. He took the heads replaced the valves and set it back up without charging us. His son Scott Hall has followed in his footsteps and stayed in the automotive industry working for Moroso.

How many could still set up a dual point distributer to change the timing as you go down the track? Remember those days.
So here is a tid bit that I'm sure most know. If you run an older small block chevy Stocker auto. Make a pass. Come back and change your timing to at least 42. Make another pass. What did your 60ft times do? Now figure how to get it back to normal timing before the 60ft. Top end after the shift you should retard about .03. Play with it to see what your car likes. As we know every car is different. Your gain will be more in the summertime. I think most of you are playing with timing but if you don't you are missing out on about .04 Thats one of the reasons why I like the digital MSD boxes. Who's Next ! BP

Last edited by B Parker; 01-24-2022 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:16 PM   #17
B Parker

I thought this was about sharing how come I'm the only one. Do you guys who want to share not have anything that would help anyone.

At least tell me where I can spend 5 grand and pick up 7 tenths. That I would really love to know. BP

Last edited by B Parker; 01-25-2022 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:48 AM   #18
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,414 Times in 1,950 Posts

After 30 minutes of typing, I’m proofreading and then it’s gone. The joys of living in the country. Sorry
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-29-2022, 08:43 AM   #19
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,414 Times in 1,950 Posts

My turn. All the "experts" don't live out of town! From Mike Lynch S/S stick racer. You have to become the expert on your car, or you have to have a whole lot of money to spend or waist. They're are great engine builders and car builders that will get you in the ball park. To get to the point of being a fast car, most racers know its the combination of most things that like each other. Gear ratio, trans, trans ratio, weight, shocks, springs, cam, heads, valves, converter, carb, FI program, and so on.

A race car is a shinny Rubric Cube nicely wrapped in a physics problem. It is somewhat solved one line at a time. For me its not easy.

I think suspension is the cheapest and easiest part to work on first. If it don't roll easy your leaving something, ET, on the table. Thanks Captain Obvious.

You'll need a few tools and some help. Tools: Tape measure, good level, 5' to 6' straight edge (I use a 3/8 X 3'' X 60'' aluminum), pencell and paper. And you will probably make some tools as needed.

So lets check the rear end first it has the biggest tires. You want Zero toe, no camber, and straight in the car. Also check for drag on the brakes.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:54 AM   #20
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,071 Times in 765 Posts

"I think suspension is the cheapest and easiest part to work on first. If it don't roll easy your leaving something, ET, on the table. Thanks Captain Obvious.

You'll need a few tools and some help. Tools: Tape measure, good level, 5' to 6' straight edge (I use a 3/8 X 3'' X 60'' aluminum), pencil and paper. And you will probably make some tools as needed.

So lets check the rear end first it has the biggest tires. You want Zero toe, no camber, and straight in the car. Also check for drag on the brakes."

Larry just offered one the key elements that I have always endorsed. The other is distribution of weight within the rules, buy scales, they're reasonably priced and available from Summit and Jegs.

Lastly, rent a track and just make 60' hits until you're satisfied with the result.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote