HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 01-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #1
68Coupe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Question about rollbar/rollcage

My car currently has an 8 point roll bar. I only run 1/8th mile only. The car ran 6.70's for about 10 years. I built a new engine last year and it ran mid 6.40's to low 6.50's during the year from cool to hot air.
So ET wise it doesn't require a roll cage. But i have been thinking about having one installed.
My question is even though it doesn't need one are there any advantages to put a cage in, are there any disadvantages. Just try to figure out if its worth the money or should I just keep running what I have.
If it matters have no plans in going any faster anytime in the future. Also have owned the car for 20 years and there is zero chance i will ever sell if that is a factor.
68Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:08 PM   #2
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts
Default Re: Question about rollbar/rollcage

The desire to keep a car long term or sell it one day is a factor in deciding to cage it when it doesn't require one. Once it's in, it looses a lot of it's resale value as a streetable car because it's so hard to get it out. The speed of your car is not as important with the bracket race format today, but staying safe while being chased by fast cars is. My car topped out at 116 in the quarter but was bested by a Cobra Jet clocked in the 150's. That was scary. I caged my car when I built it just to future proof it. I feel safer with all that steel around me. If I can swing the cash, I'll be strapping on a HANS device this season, too (I'm 73).
Old 01-11-2021, 05:45 PM   #3
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

There are kits available so you can add a front hoop to your existing roll bar . A cage will stiffen your chassis , which will help in its consistency . I see no downside !
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:38 PM   #4
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Take a look at the kits from Chassis Works.

https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-498...onversion.aspx

Mild steel 10 point cages run $350 and roll bar to cage conversion kits are $160. If you click on "Options" you can specify your year, make and model. Welding and tube trimming required but no bending.

There are two styles of main hoops in the kits I found. One from Chassis Works had a "Halo" style hoop that was one piece around the top. I found mating it to the angles of the bars down the front difficult. I went to S&W Racecars and found cage parts available separately. I picked up a main hoop consisting of continuous bars along the outer edge of the doors and a window bar at the upper windshield level connecting them. Easy to fit. Added around $100.
Liked
Old 01-12-2021, 12:46 AM   #5
CMcAllister

Liked 725 Times in 199 Posts

That's low 10s, high 9s in the quarter. Plenty fast enough to benefit from having the car stiffed up. Didn't see the model identified. Unibody cars are flimsy. Substantial frame ties correctly installed and made a part of the bar/cage assembly helps stiffen the car a great deal. That should be done first.

Last edited by CMcAllister; 01-12-2021 at 12:48 AM.
CMcAllister is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-12-2021, 02:31 PM   #6
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,665 Times in 851 Posts

Crap happens, years ago I rolled my 63 Plymouth and got on top of the guard rail. Next day I was racing my wife’s bracket car with no issues and I attribute that to a full cage (including a front cross bar under the dash and bars going forward to tie into the front frame rails. To me a cage that tucks close to the A pillars and along the top even makes a race car look like a “real” race car. Just my 2 cents...
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote