HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 09-13-2021, 05:55 PM   #1
Ed McLawhorn Jr.

Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Default Deck water hole plugged

Looking at deck of small bore bowtie block and noticed what appears to be silicone in small assuming water holes located just above dial pins at #1,2,7,and 8. I purchased block with most machine work completed. Holes are roughy 1/4" diameter. I ran motor earlier this year but had water in oil and thinking it was head gasket. I don't want to take any chances and eliminate all potential water leaks. Head gaskets and heads have same hole. Why would someone plug holes on block and what if any concerns about leaking?
Ed McLawhorn Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:16 PM   #2
Chevy55

Liked 166 Times in 82 Posts
Default Re: Deck water hole plugged

There's good info of block circulation in the old book, The Chevrolet Racing Engine - Bill Jenkins
Here's a PDF version, check out page 15

https://vdocument.in/reader/full/the...e-bill-jenkins
Chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:40 AM   #3
Henrys Toy

Liked 441 Times in 152 Posts
Default Re: Deck water hole plugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed McLawhorn Jr. View Post
Looking at deck of small bore bowtie block and noticed what appears to be silicone in small assuming water holes located just above dial pins at #1,2,7,and 8. I purchased block with most machine work completed. Holes are roughy 1/4" diameter. I ran motor earlier this year but had water in oil and thinking it was head gasket. I don't want to take any chances and eliminate all potential water leaks. Head gaskets and heads have same hole. Why would someone plug holes on block and what if any concerns about leaking?
Good morning Ed,
Check the deck surface to be flat.
Check the deck surface in case it was milled and there's a course surface to seal the head gasket.
What type of head gasket being used - Steel shim or composite ( like Fel Pro ).
Have you had the block pressure checked ? This will determine any cracks that will allow coolant to seep into the oil pan.
Basic stuff, but in case there's something unforeseen, needs to be checked.
If all that checks out, look at Head sealing surfaces and check the intake coolant passages to intake manifold and make sure there isn't any gaps or voids that allow coolant to leak. Make sure the "China Wall" isn't sticking up to far and holding up the manifold from sealing to the heads.
Got to suspect everything now!

Respectfully,
Henry Kunz H/SA 1534
Henrys Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked