HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 04-16-2021, 12:29 PM   #1
AveryMcLawhorn

Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
Default Ladder Bar vs 4-Link

Looking for some real input on a low horsepower (<500 hp) in a 3000-3300 lb car. Pros and cons for ladder Bar and 4-link. Any help/input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Avery
AveryMcLawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:56 PM   #2
Steve Stasko

Liked 228 Times in 120 Posts
Default Re: Ladder Bar vs 4-Link

What is the end result? For a consistent, simple bracket car...ladder bars are a no brainer. If you're looking at re-sale value, or putting more power to it down the road...then you might want to consider the four link. Even then though, the ladder bars will hold quite a bit of power.

Myself, I prefer ladder bars.
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-16-2021, 02:00 PM   #3
AveryMcLawhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stasko View Post
What is the end result? For a consistent, simple bracket car...ladder bars are a no brainer. If you're looking at re-sale value, or putting more power to it down the road...then you might want to consider the four link. Even then though, the ladder bars will hold quite a bit of power.

The end result is something that hooks and in consistent. I do not ever see anything in the near future with much more horsepower then what I have currently. I appreciate the advice.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:02 PM   #4
Jim Caughlin

Liked 691 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stasko View Post

I agree with your comments, I've done a lot of chassis work and think that ladder bars are under rated on their performance and simplicity. Way too easy for the average person to get 4 link tune out in left field. Same issue with double adjustable shocks, too many setting and way too easy to end up with crazy setting unless you are very dedicated to lots of testing. We'll probably get a lot of flack on this as an answer but this is the reality of things.
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:07 PM   #5
AveryMcLawhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Caughlin View Post
I agree with your comments, I've done a lot of chassis work and think that ladder bars are under rated on their performance and simplicity. Way too easy for the average person to get 4 link tune out in left field. Same issue with double adjustable shocks, too many setting and way too easy to end up with crazy setting unless you are very dedicated to lots of testing. We'll probably get a lot of flack on this as an answer but this is the reality of things.
Well obviously I am not a chassis expert hence why I am asking for advice lol. I currently have ladder bars and looking for advice between both to determine if I have a decent set up or not.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:05 PM   #6
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts

There are still some very fast cars running ladder bars. I know of one super stock Camaro that runs like 9.0 on ladder bars and qualifies near the top of the sheet at most races. My car is a ladder bar car and runs low 10's with about 600 hp. I have been 1.29 60 ft with the combo I have in the car right now. The 4 link offers a little more range of adjustment if you are into that sort of thing. I like the simplicity of the ladder bar set up as well.
If your car is working good and the 60 ft times are where they need to be than I would not change the car to a 4 link
Old 04-17-2021, 05:14 PM   #7
Stickshift

Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

I wouldn’t ever build a ladder bar if I had the choice. May be some fast ladder bars cars out there, but you pay for and do a bunch of work for a carb that could only change 3 jets and nothing else?

Makes no sense to me.
Stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-17-2021, 06:32 PM   #8
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 919 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickshift View Post
I wouldn’t ever build a ladder bar if I had the choice. May be some fast ladder bars cars out there, but you pay for and do a bunch of work for a carb that could only change 3 jets and nothing else?

Makes no sense to me.
.....But if you get that ladder bar setup set up well, how often should you really need to be adjusting the front pivot point anyhow? I have seen several guy "get lost" by constantly changing their myriad of 4 link settings. I have had the same Morrison double adjustable ladder bars on my bracket car for 35 years, with a big block auto, (foot brake and trans brake), big block stick, and the past few years, small block stick. I tried moving the front pivot location in all 3 holes, ended up best in the middle, so thats where it stays. I have made smaller adjustments at the rear, but with the bigger tires most ladder bar (and 4 links) use, I have found more improvements with tire pressures and shock settings, than I ever did moving the ladder bars around. Maybe in a much faster car (mine runs low 10s, high 9s), the 4 link may provide a benefit, but for me at least, the ladder bars have been great.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:28 PM   #9
jmantle

Liked 135 Times in 66 Posts

Nice thing about a ladder bar setup is if it works, you aren't so tempted to play with it.
My bracket car was on an old Alston ladder bar setup, ran high 8's with 1.17 to 1.19 60' on a good track. I've seen so many guys struggling with there 4 link setup, too many combos available.

Jim Mantle V/SA 6632