HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-14-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
BIZMANRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default trouble with wheel stand need help

below is a link from englishtown photo gallery from this past sunday. i was there getting my licence. i fell one pass short. not enough time. as you can see in the picture that the car is wheel standing. not all that much since i've seen them alot higher than this. but, this was new to me.

http://www.davemilcarek.com/051108/p...201D%20146.htm

i was used to just picking them up and putting them down. now i expericened this and i couldn't see down track. now like a good solider i stayed in it. i knew the damage i could do if i got scared. but, i was ready for it. what i wasn't ready for was the landing.

like i said i was used to picking them up and putting them down. now, i feel it in the stirring wheel. the shake and what not, then just holding on to the end. that part was no big deal. though i wasn't allowed to make a full pass..

so my question is this. with a stock front suspension and stock sterring minus the power sterring pump. is this healthy? is it ok? is it normal to feel the landing it in the sterring wheel? if not what can i do?

i have a four link in the back, but, have no idea what bars to change, i've also heard of using limitiers on the front but don't know anything about that either. i don't mine just getting used to it. but, i think the learning cruve woulf be long since now its with neck collar and gloves. it dosn't seem like much if your on the out side looking in. but, i didn't have time for anything in there which was a little scarey for me. i don't know what the oil pressure was, water temp, rmp speed at the top end which for me was 1000 ft. nothing. the car was at 6.100 at half track at 111.34 the sixty foot was 1.311 the et at 1000 ft was 8.015 and i got off of it then and just rolled through the lights at 9.78 at 119.21

i felt like a rookie going down for the first time. almost a little embarressed to ask the question.

please help what you can. if anybody knows any rule of thumb to figure out the et and speed to this run i would be very greatful.

thanks in advance

Carlos Mendes
BIZMANRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
SlickVic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: trouble with wheel stand need help

If you limit the travel of the front he doesn't allow the shocks to "push" the front up in the air. You can try that, it works on my car if i tighten the shocks on a low DA day and i have to loosen them on a High DA day. Also you can take the top bars on the 4 link and go up one hole. That will take some hit out of it but if your setup is marginal you may lose traction. I feel a little shake and hit in the steering wheel sometimes and i have all aftermarket. I think you would be ok as long as its not ripping the steering wheel out of your hand.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts

Big wheelstands are always fun, sometimes scarry, look cool and make for great photos. Other than that in my experience all they are good for is tearing stuff up. I don't know about your Mustang but our Barracuda is not built to be dropped from six feet.

After damaging every oil pan we own, we limit front end travel and tighten the front shocks to keep it on the ground but are adding wheelie bars for insurance.

Good Luck,
Bill Lamb
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
BIZMANRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONCES.

well we went again may 25. prior to the event i pulled all the plugs checked them and the gap, pulled the value covers off and checked the lash. the back 2 7 and 8 were a little loose and i tighten them up to get .017 cold and hopefully .026 hot. i also adjusted the the low band of the powergluide trans mission. loosed the nut, drove the treaded screw (7/32 allen head) all the way in until it seats and then backed off 4 complete turns and tighten the nut. did that just incase. lastly, i checked all my nozzles on the toliet. here i found 3 of 4 of the drivers side with "stuff" in them. just some ***** not letting light in. i blew that out and put them back. then its off to raceway park.

now all i need is 2 full passes and i'm done. a card carriing 9.99 driver. went out there did the burn out. shifted into neutral and blew out 2 more gromps on the acclerator pedal. so everything is nice and clean and ready to go. stage the car. first yellow light and my finger goes off the button. then by the 2nd light at full throttle on the tran brake. then the green.

hole *****. never in my lift did i ever feel anything like that. one second i'm looked at the other end of the track the next i'm starring at my hood. for a longgggggggggggggggggggggg time. the brain is going 1000 mph. and i'm wondering shouldn't this thing be down my now. then i felt the bumper hit the track. i got a little scared and went to part throttle. and then down i came. harddddddddddddddd.... the car went to the right from the left lane into the right lane. then i had to navigate around the cones. and finally just drove it on through in 16.1 secs at 58.83 mph. i'll never forget those numbers.

i was scared to death and if it wasn't for my wife and friend. i would of gone home. i was scared ****less. and i'm not ashamed to say. but, lucky for me they shamed me back into the car where i foot braked it the rest of the way. i made 3 full passes after that. each one was a little better. the final one was the best run of the day 9.610 at 138.83 sixty ft was 1.321. all as a footbrake car.

i noticed that while on the foot brake if i gave it fuel i couldn't hold the car at 2000 rpm so the car acuattly went in a little deeper than the inital stage. which i'm sure changed my 60 ft as well as my final e.t. the last pass i figured it was just a waste to try to rpm a little since the same thing would happen. so i left from idel. wow. big wheelie again with the number stated above.

now i have a converter helper that i use on the button. so if you foot brake an alchol car and dump that fuel in the motor it leaves kind of lazy. so my question is ..

how do you guys foot brake an injeted alchol car. do you leave from idol or do you have something that sends the fuel back to the tank and then when you lauch full fuel goes to the motor.

thanks

Carlos Mendes
BIZMANRACING is offline   Reply With Quote