HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 02-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #1
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts
Default New NHRA Technical Inspection Addendum

NHRA released an addendum to the rule book applicable to tech inspections.

http://www.nhra.net/2021/nhraracer/r...n_Rulebook.pdf

Although not detailed and/or specific, one noteworthy statement is that under the clauses of the new addendum, they have the authority to look at your electronic data in and outside your car. My belief is that NHRA can request that you provide them your Racepak or similar recording system data and in the case of EFI, your software/tune programs.

"By participating in the event, the participant understands and agrees that NHRA and
event officials at any NHRA Member Track may at any time inspect, seal for inspection,
tear down, and/or conduct testing by any means or method they deem appropriate on a
vehicle or any part thereof, including PPE and components that are not affixed to or
have been removed from the vehicle and computer or electronic devices and data,
including without limitation data preserved away or apart from the vehicle.
"

Last edited by SSDiv6; 02-19-2021 at 03:07 PM.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:16 PM   #2
L.Fite

Liked 347 Times in 174 Posts
Default Re: New Technical Inspection Addendum

Wonder what they are looking for...
Sounds like something specific although not alluded to?...
Hmmm...
L.Fite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:19 PM   #3
JeremyDuncan

Liked 280 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fite View Post
Wonder what they are looking for...
Sounds like something specific although not alluded to?...
Hmmm...
There was an issue in Pro Mod last season with Rick Hord denying NHRA access to his tune up.
JeremyDuncan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:45 PM   #4
Dan 1525

Liked 63 Times in 14 Posts

How many times do they have to repeat them selves page after page to get there point a cross, once should be enough unless your getting punished !!!!!!!!!, BAD BOY BAD BOY. I guess if we do it right the first time no issues for them to complain about.
Dan 1525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:49 AM   #5
Cbrinson47

Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
Thumbs down Re: New NHRA Technical Inspection Addendum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdiv6 View Post
nhra released an addendum to the rule book applicable to tech inspections.

http://www.nhra.net/2021/nhraracer/r...n_rulebook.pdf

although not detailed and/or specific, one noteworthy statement is that under the clauses of the new addendum, they have the authority to look at your electronic data in and outside your car. My belief is that nhra can request that you provide them your racepak or similar recording system data and in the case of efi, your software/tune programs.

"by participating in the event, the participant understands and agrees that nhra and
event officials at any nhra member track may at any time inspect, seal for inspection,
tear down, and/or conduct testing by any means or method they deem appropriate on a
vehicle or any part thereof, including ppe and components that are not affixed to or
have been removed from the vehicle and computer or electronic devices and data,
including without limitation data preserved away or apart from the vehicle.
"
what a joke.........lol !
Cbrinson47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-20-2021, 10:46 AM   #6
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan 1525 View Post
I guess if we do it right the first time no issues for them to complain about.
I have had "issues" with many NHRA Tech Officials over the years BECAUSE I always ask too many questions. The rules have always been written in a way as to be intentionally vague. I was actually told by one former NHRA Tech "we don't want you asking for permission, we want you begging for forgiveness".
Now IMHO, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that they are looking for down-track-timers and what can be used as a down-track-timer. For an example, what's a data-logger (specifically the driveshaft sensor) doing while it's going down the track hooked to the ignition box through the grid. This all MIGHT have something to do with the new staging rules also.

Oh, and let's not forget traction-control.

Make tech "TECH" again!

Last edited by Billy Nees; 02-20-2021 at 11:01 AM.
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:51 AM   #7
L.Fite

Liked 347 Times in 174 Posts

I have had "issues" with many NHRA Tech Officials over the years BECAUSE I always ask too many questions. The rules have always been written in a way as to be intentionally vague. I was actually told by one former NHRA Tech "we don't want you asking for permission, we want you begging for forgiveness".

That explains a lot...
So that's why the dear in the headlights look when I asked questions...
Got it...

This may be more fun than I thought...
L.Fite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:33 PM   #8
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 796 Times in 211 Posts

Does this new tech mean I have to not use my garage door opener in my pocket? Just asking for a friend
Old 02-20-2021, 02:17 PM   #9
DG

Liked 322 Times in 79 Posts

Drive shaft acceleration profiles of previous runs Elapsed Time from a RacPak can be downloaded to devices that work with the MSD Grid to make timing adjustments down track to run the same drive shaft profile and ET over and over. Or a new drive shaft acceleration profile can be downloaded via Bluetooth to run a different ET so its not so obvious what's going on. People have figured out how to embed the circuitry inside the MSD Grid box making it very difficult for tech officials to spot. However, the Personal Computer (PC) in the trailer will have the illegal software installed on it. The new language makes it clear Tech officials can demand access to the PC. NHRA should be applauded for their efforts to protect the integrity of our sport and attempts to maintain a level playing field for the vast majority or racers that don't use such devices.

Anyone that thinks this is a conspiracy theory or the technology isn't readily available for purchase on the internet, hasn't researched the issue.

Last edited by DG; 02-20-2021 at 02:30 PM.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:28 PM   #10
63corvette

Liked 279 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Drive shaft acceleration profiles of previous runs Elapsed Time from a RacPak can be downloaded to devices that work with the MSD Grid to make timing adjustments down track to run the same drive shaft profile and ET over and over. Or a new drive shaft acceleration profile can be downloaded via Bluetooth to run a different ET so its not so obvious what's going on. People have figured out how to embed the circuitry inside the MSD Grid box making it very difficult for tech officials to spot. However, the Personal Computer (PC) in the trailer will have the illegal software installed on it. The new language makes it clear Tech officials can demand access to the PC. NHRA should be applauded for their efforts to protect the integrity of our sport and attempts to maintain a level playing field for the vast majority or racers that don't use such devices.
Very good description of what is going on in the sportsman classes.
I am not saying everyone is using the grid system in this manner however, it is and has been happening.
One more item I believe should be outlawed is any counter, drive shaft, wheel or any other type of counter.
The tech department is just now starting to catch up with the technology that is available.
Just My Take
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote