HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 03-17-2020, 10:16 AM   #21
MikeMoller

Liked 242 Times in 72 Posts
Default Re: Calvert split mono leaf springs?

I run a 305 chev 2bbl in a 3650 lbs car. I use Lakewood slappers with Lakewood adjustable shocks set a 50/50, monoleaf stock springs. Works great, never spins, consistent 60 foot times.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #22
Lee Jordan (3223) A/S

Liked 55 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph A Powell View Post
A lot of Races were won on the old Chrysler Super Stock springs he’ll I put a pair on my Boss 302 race car and they worked very good! If my memory serves me right Dave Landrith used the when the AMX super stocks were built at Hurst Performance Research in Maddison Heights, Mi!
Dad and I used them on the Fairlane from back in the 80's. Now it has all Calvert parts.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:57 PM   #23
carbuilder

Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts

all the spring does is hold the car up off the ground,,,a leaf spring is a leaf spring,,,however,,,if a spring is too stiff,,as in a multi leaf spring,,,thats where the problem begins. You always want to use the weakest spring that will suspend the car. If a mono wont hold up a heavy car,,,,then look at removing leaves from a multi leaf. If the spring is to stiff,,,, no shock adjustment,pinion angle change is going to overcome the stiff spring,,,,ask me how I know,,,,,just kidding,,,,dont ask
carbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #24
Lee Jordan (3223) A/S

carbuilder,,, the rear of the spring, behind the axle is what holds up that car, and sets the ride height. The front of the spring forward of the axle is where we control the launch of the car. This is why Calvert springs are two piece. They are the best bolt on springs available for a stocker in my opinion. Springs can be custom made but this is all they are doing now. The bars are great. Now the front half of the spring and the shock tuning are where the real advantages are with a leaf spring car.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:49 PM   #25
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,071 Times in 765 Posts

Herb McCandless would be a great source of information on leaf spring technology.

Also, remember the Chrysler Leaf Link used on Ray Whinery's Dart?

Last edited by Frank Castros; 03-17-2020 at 06:58 PM.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:30 PM   #26
carbuilder

Question Re: Calvert split mono leaf springs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Jordan (3223) A/S View Post
carbuilder,,, the rear of the spring, behind the axle is what holds up that car, and sets the ride height. The front of the spring forward of the axle is where we control the launch of the car. This is why Calvert springs are two piece. They are the best bolt on springs available for a stocker in my opinion. Springs can be custom made but this is all they are doing now. The bars are great. Now the front half of the spring and the shock tuning are where the real advantages are with a leaf spring car.
so,one would surmise that if you removed the front half the rear would hold up the car ???? you may want to re think that,,,I have looked very closely at Keeners cars,,,,as well as Ficacchi"s,,,,and they use stock springs,,,which ARE a lighter spring rate than a split mono,period Show me a car that works as well as they do,,,,on a consistent level and maybe you can change my mind, The last time I was at Eaton spring in Detroit,,, I saw some split monos they said were for Calvert ????

Last edited by carbuilder; 03-17-2020 at 10:33 PM. Reason: because
Old 03-19-2020, 02:42 PM   #27
Lee Jordan (3223) A/S

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuilder View Post
so,one would surmise that if you removed the front half the rear would hold up the car ???? you may want to re think that,,,I have looked very closely at Keeners cars,,,,as well as Ficacchi"s,,,,and they use stock springs,,,which ARE a lighter spring rate than a split mono,period Show me a car that works as well as they do,,,,on a consistent level and maybe you can change my mind, The last time I was at Eaton spring in Detroit,,, I saw some split monos they said were for Calvert ????
Of course the back half of the spring wouldn't hold the car up by itself unless it was crazy stiff. You know that is not what I mean by that statement. As far as suspension for a leaf spring car that is essentially all the rear half is doing. The real tuning is in the front of the spring.

There are many manufacturers of custom strings that are multi or mono leaf that do the same thing. I just like the Calverts because you have more adjustability. Want to change the ride height, buy the rear half. Change the "Hit" for an auto or stick car, buy the front half for that. I am not saying your wrong, just that Calverts are better. Little harder to change the whole spring vs. the front half. Other custom springs may be cheaper, I don't know the pricing differences. A tuned system is usually better when all of the components are used together.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:00 PM   #28
carbuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Racing View Post
Anybody use the Calvert Split mono leaf springs? How much better are they than stock? What are the advantages? thanks
From my 40 plus years of preparing many record holding leaf sprung cars, A spring is a spring,all it does is hold up the car,,,wanna change ride height ? a simple and very cheap easy way is re arc spring,,,why buy and buy when you dont have to??? As far as the spring rate,,,,take a twenty foot long piece of tubing, and support at each end with a jack stand,,,now push down in the middle you will have plenty of spring to it,,,,now cut it and half and do the same thing,,,you will not have the spring anymore because of its length,,,,now when you split a mono leaf,,,you do EXACTLY the same thing. Leaf spring cars with a traction device love the soft spring,,,,shock adjustments respond better and so do tire pressure changes.As far as advantages,,,, I see none,,,only disadvantages

If spending money that is not needed makes one happy,,,go ahead and buy the expensive stuff if that makes life easier,,,, but I can tell you from experience its not needed.

As I said earlier,Keener doesnt use them,and he pretty much can buy what he wants,,,but he has a STOCK spring for a reason,,,and his cars are as fast as they get he has those for a reason
Old 03-20-2020, 02:52 PM   #29
Todd Bailey

Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts

After looking at Merc's car at Indy year before, it looks like they are using a modified slapper.
Todd Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:32 PM   #30
carbuilder

Unhappy Re: Calvert split mono leaf springs?

Cal tracs,ladder bars,four link,,,,modified slapper??? all traction devices,,,,I thought the question was about springs,,,, you guys keep your ball,,, Im going home

Last edited by carbuilder; 03-20-2020 at 03:33 PM. Reason: because