Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-27-2020, 09:55 AM   #1711
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts
Default Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hanig View Post
How much clutch did you put in it 1/2 turn or more.
Jim, It was 3/4 of a turn. Our biggest issue has been doing a burnout, if the car leaves real nice with a softer clutch it wouldn't hardly do a burnout. With some recommendations from my clutch guy burnout issues are no more, it wasn't the clutch it was the technique. However, we have a new set of heads so most of these current settings will be changed anyhow. It's been a learning experience so far.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:31 PM   #1712
Jim Hanig

Liked 97 Times in 47 Posts
Smile Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
Jim, It was 3/4 of a turn. Our biggest issue has been doing a burnout, if the car leaves real nice with a softer clutch it wouldn't hardly do a burnout. With some recommendations from my clutch guy burnout issues are no more, it wasn't the clutch it was the technique. However, we have a new set of heads so most of these current settings will be changed anyhow. It's been a learning experience so far.
Todd i have watched your progress and must say ,you and Amber have done a great job. Good luck with the heads. Look at the intake also.
Jim Hanig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:41 PM   #1713
Bob Gullett
VIP Member

Liked 414 Times in 92 Posts

When having a low HP engine trying to do a burnt with a stick it can be tough. Ive glazed a couple of clutches because I drove thru it badly on the burnt out. At least for me I found the best thing is to bring it to 6000 and do like the pro stocks and womp the throttle 2-3 times to get the rpm up never letting it drop below 6000 and nothing over 7000.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:31 PM   #1714
killintime6968

Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts

I do the same thing with my nova
killintime6968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-28-2020, 08:17 AM   #1715
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
That is a common challenge. It was really tough with the 283 stocker. We fought a bog more than spinning so we had to set the clutch real loose. We would spin lightly in first to make sure the tires were wet then roll to the edge, put it in second or third depending on what we wanted. Have to be aggressive and get the RPM up and break the tires loose or you are toast.

If you let the clutch out easy or too low of an rpm, the clutch slips too much. Have to be quick to clutch it and not let it pull the rpm down and let it slip coming out of the water. Keep the rpm up and just clutch quick.
You might even find that you need a burnout rpm higher than the launch rpm. If that is the case, you could have a toggle switch to switch to a higher rpm switch if your ignition doesn’t have a burnout setting.

Last edited by james schaechter; 03-28-2020 at 08:23 AM.
james schaechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-28-2020, 09:14 AM   #1716
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hanig View Post
Todd i have watched your progress and must say ,you and Amber have done a great job. Good luck with the heads. Look at the intake also.
Yes Jim, a new intake is next.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:17 AM   #1717
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
That is a common challenge. It was really tough with the 283 stocker. We fought a bog more than spinning so we had to set the clutch real loose. We would spin lightly in first to make sure the tires were wet then roll to the edge, put it in second or third depending on what we wanted. Have to be aggressive and get the RPM up and break the tires loose or you are toast.

If you let the clutch out easy or too low of an rpm, the clutch slips too much. Have to be quick to clutch it and not let it pull the rpm down and let it slip coming out of the water. Keep the rpm up and just clutch quick.
You might even find that you need a burnout rpm higher than the launch rpm. If that is the case, you could have a toggle switch to switch to a higher rpm switch if your ignition doesn’t have a burnout setting.
Thanks Jim, we found what constant rpm worked best then off the clutch real quick and our burnouts are real good now.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:19 PM   #1718
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

I know everyone is bummed to not be racing, we are too, I hope we all get out very soon! The current business climate is strange and scary, My wife and I haven't been getting paid to keep our employees paid even though we have very little work (we are deemed essential based on some of our customers). I hope every one of us get back to normal very soon because I know ya'll miss that call "STOCKERS TO THE LANES" just as much as we do! Stay well my friends, Todd
Old 04-10-2020, 01:10 PM   #1719
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Old 04-12-2020, 12:31 PM   #1720
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Great video, guys. I watched this race on DR.TV

What are the two switches she hits just after the waterbox?
Who's idea was the glitter ball? That would drive me nuts.I have a couple of Dilbert dolls for my dash. One is The Pointy Haired Boss and the other is Catbert Evil HR Director.