HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-27-2020, 03:33 PM   #1
Bob Unkefer

Liked 129 Times in 3 Posts
Default Anthem at Topeka

BLAME ME,
Not NHRA or HMP. It was a split second decision made on the fly. We had drivers suited up in Alky dragsters ready to go on a hot humid day. Joey Keith was ready to go. Warren pulled out the ipad and it was dead. I've been to events where the Pledge of Allegiance was said en masse to initiate the event rather then the National Anthem. Joey finished the invocation and Warren gave me the look that we SHOULD be good to go. Wanting to be sure to Honor our great country I went with the Pledge to commit to that honor and not hold up the show, or lose the anthem mid verse. We all know how hot our fire suits get in Stk & SS, and they're thinner than what the Alcohol guys and gals wear, and I was thinking of our fellow racers too.
There was no disrespect intended to anyone, anywhere for any reason, and If the decision offended or upset you, please accept my most sincere apology.
We received many positive comments Saturday afternoon and Sunday regarding the Pledge of allegiance, but I was awakened this morning to a couple of phone calls regarding discussions on a couple of different social media sites regarding the disrespect shown. Having been in attendance at events in the past where we all recited the pledge in unison, I honestly didn't feel an explanation over the PA was necessary. In hind sight, I probably should have.
Again, if I offended or upset, my apologies.
May God continue to Bless this great country!
Old 07-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 839 Times in 293 Posts
Default Re: Anthem at Topeka

You took a beating on this Unk. Sorry man....
Reminds me of the story of this guy,.... Hes driving at a high rate of speed out on county roads. These roads are seldom traveled, its a nice summer day,and he's showing off to himself a little. While rounding a long sweeping corner (he's thinking he's the next best thing to AJ Foyt.) something occurs. All of a sudden here comes this guy coming the other direction. They are both extremely close to the center line and as this guy blows past he shouts " PIG" !!. Mr Foyt is instantly PISSED. What nerve. What a jerk to shout names at me and call me a pig. I was in my lane. He's a jerk ... To his surprise, as he exits the corner at a very high rate of speed, stands a real live pig ! Its standing in the the middle of his lane, just as he was warned ..... BANG.
If this anthem situation would have happened last year, or five years ago, we most likely wouldn't have jumped the gun. But, right now, because of current events, everything everyone does, or any organization does, is under our microscopes..
Old 07-27-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
Bob Unkefer

Liked 129 Times in 3 Posts

Jeff,
I've got pretty thick skin, and LOVE my racing family.
And you're right, five years ago, not an issue.
next time I'll sing the Anthem..... Trust me, I'm MUCH better on reciting the Pledge :-)
Old 07-27-2020, 04:56 PM   #4
Michael Compton

Liked 59 Times in 12 Posts

Bob -

I always knew you were a stand-up guy and this right here shows it. You could have easily hid and let it all pass but you took the initiative and hit it head on. I agree 100% with Jeff and would assume the others will see why it happened as it did. I was not there and won't be at any races this year so I can only comment as an outsider.

Having said the above, it was cool to see you racing again. I had the broadcast on while in the car and my kids all said, "We sure love his voice and hearing him announce." You are a good dude my friend!

Michael Compton
Michael Compton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:10 PM   #5
CMcAllister

Liked 745 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Unkefer View Post
Jeff,
I've got pretty thick skin, and LOVE my racing family.
And you're right, five years ago, not an issue.
next time I'll sing the Anthem..... Trust me, I'm MUCH better on reciting the Pledge :-)
Thanks for confirming our suspicions that there was a good explanation, other than everyone had lost their minds. These days, it's not unusual for an organization to have an SJW sneak in who thinks he's smarter than everyone else and run a perfectly smooth running train right off the tracks. Thankfully, drag racing hasn't become a victim of that, yet.

Thanks for everything you and Warren do. We typically have events on in the shop from beginning to end.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-28-2020, 10:26 AM   #6
Dirk Olson

Liked 126 Times in 33 Posts

Bob,

looking at choice of either the National Anthem or the Pledge of Allegiance. You made the right call.

Dirk
Old 08-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #7
Philip Baise

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to here you sing it.......well maybe!
Philip Baise is offline   Reply With Quote