Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-28-2022, 07:41 PM   #1
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,030 Times in 1,226 Posts
Default Lets talk NHRA Stk/SS with Lonnie Grim - Ideas - Comments

Alright guys,

I sat down with Lonnie Grim, and I have to say it was a very enlighten and pleasant conversation. One of the first things he said to me after I introduced myself was "CUSTOMER" He really does get it. He told me of the importance of making the customer happy. Even if its just a polite hello as we roll through the gate getting parked.

So here we go... the first idea from Lonnie. How would you all feel about a purse increase. The entry fee for national events is 340, how would you feel about paying another $100 with all of the 100 going back to the racer. 64 cars = 6400, They start paying back in 4 round. Double round money in 4th rd, 5th and runner up. The winner would get the rest. If I did my math right it would be another 3000 for the winner on top of what NHRA pays now. I maybe off a little, but you get the idea.

Second... one period for the AFHS. Instant horsepower at 1.30, but you can go fast at a few races but still bring your average down by the end of the season if needed. We did not talk numbers for what the trigger is, but he would love to here ideas from us. He knows Stk/SS is a performance based class and he knows we would like to run fast and not get hammered every time.

Third... All class race winners where class is held would qualify. Say there was a 64 car field at the Gators. All class winners are in and whats ever left would be the fastest under the index, just like years back. Also opening quotas to say 80 cars, but you have to qualify to make the 64 car field. These numbers could be different, I just want give you an idea on qualifying to race.

Fourth... Shipping weights. We all know the guide is full of combos that don't reflect real world shipping weights. But we also know that people have been using the guide to build there combs. Its not our fault that wrong weights were submitted. One idea is to correct all the shipping weights but let everyone move up or down 2 classes. Another idea would be to run the class they wanted as long as the weight is correct for horsepower claimed. These are just Ideas guys... How would you fix the shipping weight issue? leave it alone or try to fix it?

The one thing I got from the time I spent with Lonnie is... he knows we are customers and we should be treated with respect. He is definitely an advocate for the racer. He wants us to have a great experience when we are here. He wants the racer to feel they can say NHRA is a great place to race. He knows it will take time, but he is willing to listen and make changes for the future.

I know we can not make everyone happy, but we need to come together on things we agree on to improve NHRA for the sportsman racer.

Lets talk ideas and please be respectful... I don't want to here NHRA bashing, its a waste of time and does not help improve our sport.

Chime in guys, if you want changes... now is the time, what do you think of the ideas above?
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 08:04 PM   #2
doglover44
VIP Member

Liked 394 Times in 181 Posts
Default Re: Lets talk NHRA Stk/SS with Lonnie Grim - Ideas - Comment

How about class at all divisionals or at the very least each division gets one race where class gets contested.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:21 PM   #3
Jim Caughlin

Liked 693 Times in 208 Posts

How about natl records are forever and are worth at least a few points (once per season). I don't know of any other sport where natl records are only good for two years?
Jim Caughlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 08:45 PM   #4
GTS340

Liked 1,069 Times in 334 Posts

I like the third. I guess that would only effect Indy though. Some Divisions (2) have sponsors for number 1 qualifiers. Our announcer likes to give out small prizes as bounty prizes for beating the last winner. Some of the excitement at Stock/Superstock combo races are door prizes. I guess my point is NHRA could find sponsors for some gifts for a few things to make it fun again. Best engineered, best looking, number one qualifier are something of the past at most divisionals. Plenty of things like that. There is a "Right on Trailer" for Nationals. Spread the wealth to divisionals.

Paul
GTS340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-28-2022, 08:59 PM   #5
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

I agree the quota needs to be raised. Not a fan of the eliminations not being all run. I think that would be counter productive to grow the class. Adding another $100 to the already high national event entry fee is also tough to swallow with fuel prices near $5.50 per gallon. NHRA should look to a sponsor to increase the sportsman pay out. Class winners should get some points for winning class. That also means class would have to be run at the national events and not like it is here in D2 with class run at the baby gators and not at the national event weekend. It is good that Lonnie is interested in improving sportsman racing. Just hope he doesn’t pander to only the guys with thick wallets.
Old 04-28-2022, 09:50 PM   #6
Brett C
VIP Member

Liked 845 Times in 193 Posts

How about an experience that doesn’t send half the competitors home the first day!?
We spend a lot of money and time to do these prized national events and we still get treated like dog crap when it comes to schedule!
Brett C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 10:20 PM   #7
doglover44
VIP Member

Liked 394 Times in 181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett C View Post
How about an experience that doesn’t send half the competitors home the first day!?
We spend a lot of money and time to do these prized national events and we still get treated like dog crap when it comes to schedule!
What could be done to fix that ?
Old 04-28-2022, 10:25 PM   #8
Steve Koppien

Liked 13 Times in 2 Posts

i think it time to think let all stock elim engines run roller lifters since their are no coated solid chev lifter im the country to be had and 1800 to 2000 dollars is plain crazy lonnie if you check you will see this is driving cost way to high for average racers think its time for a change
Steve Koppien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 10:51 PM   #9
442OLDS
VIP Member

Liked 262 Times in 100 Posts

I wasn't really planning on running that many National events due to the cost/payout,but I'll throw in my $4.42.

1)The entry is so high already,another $100 isn't too bad if it would actually go to the Stock racers and not 10% to the BIG GUY.

2) The AHFS is such a manipulated system that might as well just abolish it.

3) Class winners automatically qualify should have never changed.If you must qualify to race,I'm out.I have one of the slowest cars in the class and would not bother paying $5 a gallon for gas to get there and not possibly qualify.The quota system needs a standby list once full.And the quotas should be raised.

4) Shipping weights.I already commented a few months ago that any car should be able to run any class that it can fit into.Along with that,the 170 pounds extra for the driver should be eliminated.If your horsepower rating is 300 and you want to run E,that is 3000 pounds minimum weight.Period.

5) The schedule.I can't imagine driving all the way to Charlotte and having to run first round already tomorrow.I know the weather is a problem often,but I see a 0% chance of rain on Friday and a 20% chance of rain on Saturday.Why are they running first round tomorrow already? The Pros run 4 wide,so that shouldn't take that long.
442OLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 07:16 AM   #10
TOSTO RACING

Liked 471 Times in 136 Posts

Tech cars again.
All they need to do is enforce the rules they already have.
And NHRA needs to stand behind the tech official and not FOLD!!

Another thing that would be nice is to quit making the races shorter by days . Like said above give people what they pay for a great experience ! What’s wrong with 3 qualifiers at a national event . Also make the quotas higher these tracks can fit hundreds of cars . When I started racing stock in 2009 all I wanted to do is go to a national event and run class ! And it was a blast then , now a days it’s a joke ! Hell if you have a bad outing by the time your buddies come on Saturday to watch you , your home lol . Idk what the fix for any of it is , but it lost its luster for me that’s why I sold all my stuff . Hopefully they can make it fun again !

If they truly want to see how to treat a "customer" go to the class racer revival or Bo's race he put on thats how you do it !!

Last edited by TOSTO RACING; 04-29-2022 at 07:58 AM.
TOSTO RACING is online now   Reply With Quote