Old 04-29-2022, 12:01 PM   #21
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,772 Times in 1,519 Posts
Default Re: Lets talk NHRA Stk/SS with Lonnie Grim - Ideas - Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Miele View Post
Alright guys,

I sat down with Lonnie Grim, and I have to say it was a very enlighten and pleasant conversation. One of the first things he said to me after I introduced myself was "CUSTOMER" He really does get it. He told me of the importance of making the customer happy. Even if its just a polite hello as we roll through the gate getting parked.

So here we go... the first idea from Lonnie. How would you all feel about a purse increase. The entry fee for national events is 340, how would you feel about paying another $100 with all of the 100 going back to the racer. 64 cars = 6400, They start paying back in 4 round. Double round money in 4th rd, 5th and runner up. The winner would get the rest. If I did my math right it would be another 3000 for the winner on top of what NHRA pays now. I maybe off a little, but you get the idea.

Second... one period for the AFHS. Instant horsepower at 1.30, but you can go fast at a few races but still bring your average down by the end of the season if needed. We did not talk numbers for what the trigger is, but he would love to here ideas from us. He knows Stk/SS is a performance based class and he knows we would like to run fast and not get hammered every time.

Third... All class race winners where class is held would qualify. Say there was a 64 car field at the Gators. All class winners are in and whats ever left would be the fastest under the index, just like years back. Also opening quotas to say 80 cars, but you have to qualify to make the 64 car field. These numbers could be different, I just want give you an idea on qualifying to race.

Fourth... Shipping weights. We all know the guide is full of combos that don't reflect real world shipping weights. But we also know that people have been using the guide to build there combs. Its not our fault that wrong weights were submitted. One idea is to correct all the shipping weights but let everyone move up or down 2 classes. Another idea would be to run the class they wanted as long as the weight is correct for horsepower claimed. These are just Ideas guys... How would you fix the shipping weight issue? leave it alone or try to fix it?

The one thing I got from the time I spent with Lonnie is... he knows we are customers and we should be treated with respect. He is definitely an advocate for the racer. He wants us to have a great experience when we are here. He wants the racer to feel they can say NHRA is a great place to race. He knows it will take time, but he is willing to listen and make changes for the future.

I know we can not make everyone happy, but we need to come together on things we agree on to improve NHRA for the sportsman racer.

Lets talk ideas and please be respectful... I don't want to here NHRA bashing, its a waste of time and does not help improve our sport.

Chime in guys, if you want changes... now is the time, what do you think of the ideas above?
Sure, I owe myself some me-time. Mr. Grimm, we've never met although I hope to meet you at some time. I would hope that anything I have to say here will cause you no offense.

Ya know, just something to think about, I have ALWAYS been a Member of the NHRA. There is a world of difference between a Member and a Customer!

First, I haven't raced at a National Event in a few years by choice so I may not have a right to comment on this but......... I will because I DO support your Divisional Races and am a long-time Member.
At National Events, the NHRA Cash Purse hasn't changed in over 25 years. The NHRA Contingency Program is a pittance of what it was 25 years ago. National Event Entry Fees have gone up significantly as have Membership Fees. Why should I as a Member/Customer suddenly be made to "make" my own purse? I don't like it.

Second, make the AHFS one period? Ok, with a couple of real world suggestions, leave the "triggers" alone. Start using eighth-mile times to help weed out the "sandbaggers" and "welfare recipients" and increase a real Tech Inspection presence.

Third, all Class Winners at an Event where Class is run SHOULD be in! And there SHOULD be at least a few Races a year that have a large enough number of entries to make it a Qualified Field.

Fourth, the shipping weights that are being looked at have been the way that they are for decades. Leave them alone. Leave the "one-up-or-one-down" alone also. Changing this would just be another step towards S/SS becoming ET-2. HOWEVER, if you feel the need to go making changes to the Guides then why don't you have the Tech Dept. start reviewing some of the "revisions and changes (and enhancements)" that have been handed out in the Technical Guide over the years? I mean, the "people have been using the guide to build their combos" from the Technical Guide too. And the Technical Guide gets "manipulated" far more often than the shipping weights in the Classification Guide do.

Mr. Grimm, I will look forward to meeting you and possibly having a nice discussion some day. Good Luck in your position, you'll need it!

Billy Nees 1188 Stock/SS/ET..

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:48 PM   #22
DG

Liked 322 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kaekel View Post
5- Put the Drag Paks, Cobra Jets and new COPOS into Super Stock where they belong. They've all got mechanical rollers, CNC-ported cylinder heads and 9" Ford rears.
Jim Kaekel, Jr. #3836

Agree, cars running motors that were not originally available to the general public from the dealer belong in Super Stock. Plus, I think there are legitimate safety concerns of stock racers barely going 100 mph at the finish line getting chased down by 1400 HP factory race cars going 150 mph+. The vast differences in required driver/race car safety devices suggest they should not be on the track at the same time.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:53 PM   #23
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,772 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
The vast differences in required driver/race car safety devices suggest they should not be on the track at the same time.
Be careful where you're going with that or you'll be putting a cage and harness in your 16 second Omni!

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 02:20 PM   #24
Justin Graham

Liked 228 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett C View Post
How about an experience that doesn’t send half the competitors home the first day!?
We spend a lot of money and time to do these prized national events and we still get treated like dog crap when it comes to schedule!
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover44 View Post
What could be done to fix that?
How about this, run a full bracket of First round losers, the winner gets points towards their Division...and a gratuitous trophy or plaque. Maybe this could justify the cost of running a National.

Quite possibly the only member to REDLIGHT their join date
Justin Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:24 PM   #25
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Koppien View Post
i think it time to think let all stock elim engines run roller lifters since their are no coated solid chev lifter im the country to be had and 1800 to 2000 dollars is plain crazy lonnie if you check you will see this is driving cost way to high for average racers think its time for a change
Got my %^$ handed to me on a platter for suggesting it.

Last edited by Terry Cain; 04-29-2022 at 03:28 PM.
Terry Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-29-2022, 04:37 PM   #26
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts

Got another request....please quit allowing aluminum cylinder heads on cars that never came from the factory with them. If someone wants aluminum heads and mechanical roller lifters, there's a place for them. It's called Super Stock.
Old 04-29-2022, 06:59 PM   #27
a pontiac

Liked 35 Times in 10 Posts

Why pay extra entry and cut out third round pay out? If Nhra needs more money, increase field size like when Indy was 180 and 128 qualified. Let us turn it loose at Indy. Put the Jegs allstars in Columbus and stop the stupid class final runoffs by 2 fastest cars. Shipping weights are the least problems in S/SS.
a pontiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 07:29 PM   #28
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

The biggest problem you have is the rest of Nhra management doesn’t think like Lonnie does. They don’t care……
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-29-2022, 07:32 PM   #29
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Agree, cars running motors that were not originally available to the general public from the dealer belong in Super Stock. Plus, I think there are legitimate safety concerns of stock racers barely going 100 mph at the finish line getting chased down by 1400 HP factory race cars going 150 mph+. The vast differences in required driver/race car safety devices suggest they should not be on the track at the same time.
This could also be fixed by getting rid of all the outdated slow cars that nobody but old people can relate to....
Liked
Old 04-29-2022, 07:45 PM   #30
Randy E

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Talking Re: Lets talk NHRA Stk/SS with Lonnie Grim - Ideas - Comment

Ouch! GUMP
Randy E is offline   Reply With Quote