HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-05-2022, 04:11 PM   #1
jamie2370

Liked 236 Times in 89 Posts
Default fuel cell question

I have an aluminum cell in the trunk. I swapped from VP to Renegade at a race due to availability. At Reynolds I swapped back to VP so I ran the pump with the line off at the carb till it ran out of fuel. When I tried to remove the cell cap it was in a vacuum, like the cap was stuck and sucked air in when I took it off. Is this normal. No return line system and does have a vent tube outside of trunk. I have never done that before and wasn't sure that was normal. Seems like if it was a plastic cell that it would try to suck the cell flat.
jamie2370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:33 PM   #2
pmrphil

Liked 248 Times in 107 Posts
Default Re: fuel cell question

Check the vent tube and make sure it's not plugged - I would have to think it must be if it pulled vacuum. Bees and spiders come to mind.
Old 05-05-2022, 06:24 PM   #3
jamie2370

Liked 236 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrphil View Post
Check the vent tube and make sure it's not plugged - I would have to think it must be if it pulled vacuum. Bees and spiders come to mind.
I checked that, it was good. The fitting the vent is hooked to is the one with the check ball. With that said, if I shine a flashlight down that fitting, I can see the checkball, its at the bottom of the fitting but I can not get any light coming into the tank? It's like it is sitting on the hole, so basically the tank is completely sealed from any outside air, ball will move so in a roll over I am assuming it would move up to block the vent.
jamie2370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:52 PM   #4
e vassar

Liked 238 Times in 93 Posts

Buy a new cell and check valve. There is probably trash/debris/ fuel cell foam that is sticking that check ball. Years ago I had a bracket car that kept trashing and sticking the carb needle/seat. I finally pulled the fuel cell out where I could get a good look inside. Was a lot of crud in the bottom.
Good luck!
e vassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked