HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #21
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,904 Times in 645 Posts
Default Re: "Live From" Virginia NHRA Nationals

Well as most of you know by now I had a short lived race going out 1st round to Chris Stephenson. Nice pass by him and not so great a light by me. We stuck around and watched the rest of the sportsman rounds and there was some very good racing. We are out and about taking in some sights and shopping around Richmond. We will head home in the morning and I don't plan to do any more racing for a while so I can spend some time with the kids around home at the beach. I may go to Atco for the points race later this summer but we will have to see how things shake out.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #22
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,254 Times in 1,238 Posts

Sportsman are done for the day. The internet connection is horrible today, loading photos is not an option. I have photos from 4th round and will post tomorrow when I get home. My next live from will be at the D1 race in Numidia next week end.

The track prep was outstanding, the groove was wide and the surface was like glass, so smooth. My hats off to Virginia Motorsport Park, this is a top notch National event track for sure. It was standing room only 3 deep at the fence when the pros were running.
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #23
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 690 Times in 183 Posts

Thanks Ken & James for All that you do for us.
Much Appreciated.....
Old 06-09-2018, 05:28 PM   #24
Shaun Quill

Liked 92 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
Thanks Ken & James for All that you do for us.
Much Appreciated.....
X2 Thank You
Shaun Quill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #25
HR9121
Live Reporter

No problem at all Pete and Shaun, we really enjoy doing it. The last photos I have are from some pit racing that took place after most of the crowd left tonight. My oldest Bentley up against Bob Bender. I think Bentley got the jump on him!

Old 06-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #26
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,958 Times in 493 Posts

Thanks for the updates! Love seeing the kids having fun at the track.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:44 PM   #27
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,254 Times in 1,238 Posts

Random photos from Saturday's eliminations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	45557   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	45558   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	45559  

Name:	IMG_0017.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	45560   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	45561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0025.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	45562  

Name:	IMG_0034.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	45563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0059.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	45564   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0070.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	45565  

Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:39 AM   #28
Bob Bender
VIP Member

Liked 373 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
No problem at all Pete and Shaun, we really enjoy doing it. The last photos I have are from some pit racing that took place after most of the crowd left tonight. My oldest Bentley up against Bob Bender. I think Bentley got the jump on him!

I had fun !!!!!!
Old 06-11-2018, 11:53 AM   #29
Wade Mahaffey

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts

Wow, were Sportsman racers making some kind of statement with sub-quota entries across the board? Or are they really... slowly but surely... going away from NHRA? It looks like things are a little better in Bristol. Before quotas we had over a hundred in all the sportsman classes it seemed like. It doesn't look very good to a person thinking of jumping in (the waters fine). I still try to follow Stock and Super/Stock even though I competed in Super/Gas. And I'm halfway there with a Super/Stock 58-60 Corvette package. But I gotta admit, have been a bit on the fence about cutting out all of the 4130 roll cage, and just putting it on the street. The resale would be easier as a street rod as well. I could use a little push in the form of a positive outlook, with regard to the health of Super/Stock Racing as we know it. I do realize that Super/Stock folks have enough on their plate already. But I've always said, It's important to promote the things you love! Kinda like campaigning for office, position, or promotion. You know, to keep the interest fresh, and keep the following strong! I understand the issues with the internet from Richmond, but sure wish I could have seen more posts here on CR. It seams that most of the Sportsman stuff was over by lunch time on Friday and Saturday. That should have allowed plenty of time for some Stock, Super/Stock promotion on the Web, even if you had to put it up once you got a good connection like Ken did. I would think that those that love this stuff would try to hang on to any like minded folks, and throw them a bone when ever possible. Like they always say "leave it better than you found it" and at least don't let it die! Talk about it, Share it, Promote it!

Last edited by Wade Mahaffey; 06-11-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Wade Mahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:30 PM   #30
HR9121
Live Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Mahaffey View Post
Wow, were Sportsman racers making some kind of statement with sub-quota entries across the board? Or are they really... slowly but surely... going away from NHRA? It looks like things are a little better in Bristol. Before quotas we had over a hundred in all the sportsman classes it seemed like. It doesn't look very good to a person thinking of jumping in (the waters fine). I still try to follow Stock and Super/Stock even though I competed in Super/Gas. And I'm halfway there with a Super/Stock 58-60 Corvette package. But I gotta admit, have been a bit on the fence about cutting out all of the 4130 roll cage, and just putting it on the street. The resale would be easier as a street rod as well. I could use a little push in the form of a positive outlook, with regard to the health of Super/Stock Racing as we know it. I do realize that Super/Stock folks have enough on their plate already. But I've always said, It's important to promote the things you love! Kinda like campaigning for office, position, or promotion. You know, to keep the interest fresh, and keep the following strong! I understand the issues with the internet from Richmond, but sure wish I could have seen more posts here on CR. It seams that most of the Sportsman stuff was over by lunch time on Friday and Saturday. That should have allowed plenty of time for some Stock, Super/Stock promotion on the Web, even if you had to put it up once you got a good connection like Ken did. I would think that those that love this stuff would try to hang on to any like minded folks, and throw them a bone when ever possible. Like they always say "leave it better than you found it" and at least don't let it die! Talk about it, Share it, Promote it!
Hey Wade, I don't know if you noticed but this race filled up at 5 grade points in Stock and SS filled at 5 or possibly very early 4 and stayed that way until Sunday before the deadline. I'm not real sure why so many dropped but it seems to becoming a trend, people enter early taking up alot of the spots and possibly don't like the weather forecast and drop last minute which makes it difficult for other racers to make plans last minute to attend that otherwise might have entered given more time. I myself along with Greg Rowe entered last Friday when another racer called and folded me him and his dad were dropping, at the time we felt fortunate to get in. Unfortunately this is the system we have to work with as far as National events go but I think if you look at the division race numbers I think our classes are quite healthy and improving all the time.
As far as promoting the sport that a whole different ballgame, I myself as well as Ken and Ms Patsy and others do the best we can with keeping the "Live" reports interesting and informative but as far as myself is concerned I don't let this get in the way of my family having a good time when they come to the races with me. It takes up alot of time to take pictures and post them and so on but when my kids are with me this kind of takes a back seat.