Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-31-2023, 05:46 PM   #281
Doug Hoven

Liked 752 Times in 146 Posts
Default Re: Not for Nuthin' But Close!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
do you know if billy changed the transmission of the gears to get a lower 1st gear
The car just so happened to have the "best" final drive you can get in a 4t40e transaxle. I think its 3.63. The 4t40e in the car already has a 2.96 first gear, so apart from going to a 5 speed, there was no real room for improvement there.
Old 10-31-2023, 05:51 PM   #282
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 250 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hoven View Post
The car just so happened to have the "best" final drive you can get in a 4t40e transaxle. I think its 3.63. The 4t40e in the car already has a 2.96 first gear, so apart from going to a 5 speed, there was no real room for improvement there.

i thought there was a 3.91 ration but i could be wrong
David Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 06:15 PM   #283
Doug Hoven

Quote:
i thought there was a 3.91 ration but I could be wrong
Now that I think about it, you're correct. And I think this car just so happened to come with the 3.91 final drive. But I don't remember exactly. The original window sticker is in the glove box. More than likely it would say what the car has.
Old 10-31-2023, 08:24 PM   #284
David Lee
VIP Member

Quote:
Now that I think about it, you're correct. And I think this car just so happened to come with the 3.91 final drive. But I don't remember exactly. The original window sticker is in the glove box. More than likely it would say what the car has.
if you do not mind i may ask about tuning one of there with the hp setup
Old 11-01-2023, 10:19 PM   #285
Doug Hoven

Quote:
if you do not mind i may ask about tuning one of there with the hp setup
Feel free to PM me with any questions you have.
Old 11-02-2023, 11:37 PM   #286
Tom Meyer

Liked 301 Times in 105 Posts

Have you thought of doing solid lifters? Our dirt motors were sensitive to oil weight, always felt it was lifter collapse. By tuning down the oil pressure mite be worth some power. Tom
Old 11-03-2023, 08:39 AM   #287
David Lee
VIP Member

Quote:
is the front wheels now 13" and did that require the calipers to be modified?
Old 11-03-2023, 09:19 AM   #288
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
is the front wheels now 13" and did that require the calipers to be modified?
Ummmmm, they may have been "massaged" a little bit.
I'm going to be trying a pair of 22x8-15 M/T slicks (very old and NLA) on it this weekend because my young associate is giving me a "hard time" as I'm constantly going red in the car because of the really short (19.5 Hoosier NLA) slick. I don't like the idea of doing things that may slow the car down but as my associate has (rather sternly) told me, "Ya can win the race just running the index. Ya can't win anything going red!"

There's a tire company in Indiana Pa. called American Racer Tires that makes road-racing and circle-track tires and makes some short slicks. I have to take some time and go check them out as none of the drag racing tire manufacturers make any really short stuff anymore.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!

Last edited by Billy Nees; 11-03-2023 at 09:52 AM.
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 10:24 AM   #289
David Lee
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
I'm going to be trying a pair of 22x8-15 M/T slicks (very old and NLA) on it this weekend because my young associate is giving me a "hard time" as I'm constantly going red in the car because of the really short (19.5 Hoosier NLA) slick. I don't like the idea of doing things that may slow the car down but as my associate has (rather sternly) told me, "Ya can win the race just running the index. Ya can't win anything going red!"

There's a tire company in Indiana Pa. called American Racer Tires that makes road-racing and circle-track tires and makes some short slicks. I have to take some time and go check them out as none of the drag racing tire manufacturers make any really short stuff anymore.
thank you, this build has inspired me. i am currently looking for a Cav.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:54 PM   #290
Cglrcng

Liked 108 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post

Your associate is a very smart person Billy, and we both need to listen to them.

We both need the extra gear ratio (to run faster), that the short FWD slicks provide, but as you say are mainly now NLA, but if given away at the tree w/ the big red eye, there is no dance moves at the big end at the stripe, so choices have to be made that neither 1 of us are as comfortable with as we need to be.

Personally I can just red light all day long w/my 20" tall MT/ET FWD slicks (-.005, -.007, etc.), or pick a safe .032, .033, .032 series of 3 lights over a single day of Q1, C1 Final, and E1), or laze to a too safe losing series of .062, Q3 and .065 E1, like I just did this LODRS over 2 days, race, the closer double 0's, and teens so far are eluding me, and am adjusting myself (the nut behind the wheel), biologically instead of the car, or my body mechanically or outright physically using the brain and light spot changes physically, w/lots of pass by pass adjusting (early morning racing is so much different than afternoon/night racing in my particular
case that is), when you are older, a night owl by nature, and a lifetime coffee drinker. So, this last event it was 1 cup plus (red light Q1), then 1/2 cup (missed Q2 due to a bent and disconnected shifter cable at the shifter in the lanes...fixed within an hr. or so, w/extra new cable carried), then no coffee (a lazy .062 Q3), then 2 cups of decaf (.065 consistency day to day, but cost a bit against a .053...giving away a hundredth at the tree in E1 is hard to make up dancing on the big end for sure against really fast company when in a slow sled.

But, at least you then have a chance and a dancing partner instead of someone else celebrating and way behind you all the way end to end. There are a lot of ways to lose a race in a faster car leaving (a ton harder and faster), far behind us.

We just need to allow them to use all those chances and possibilities and while also attempting to slam the doors shut, not shutting them too hard, and not on our own fingers and/ or stubbing our own toes! (LOL, nothing in life is easy).

But, this game is superbly fun beyond belief!