HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-07-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
rick lester

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Question charging system question...

i am adding a second battery to my 88 chevy suburban. 350 motor. i will be using second battery to power two inverters (400 watt under center console, second up to 2500 watt in back) and stereo system. stereo will only be aftermarket unit with small amp and up to 6 or 8 speakers, not a booming, anoying everybody on the road stereo, just a nice sounding system. i plan on using suburban to tow with an open trailer and sleep in at the track so very little room for things like generator or big battery charger. how do i hook up second battery to charging system? do i just add a second wire from alt. post to battery pos. terminal? i will be running 2 gauge wire to a junction box under suburban, then run 8 gauge to front inverter, and 4 gauge to back inverter. i know it sounds like overkill, but when i go tailgating and racing, i have all the power i need, and if i run the second battery down to nothing, i still have the main battery to start the suburban up with no problems. i have not thrown out the idea of running cable from first to second battery with a diconnect switch, just in case first battery goes out and i do need second battery to start. i hate going to any place, racing or tailgating, and not being prepared. rick.
rick lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:14 AM   #2
B Aceves

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: charging system question...

You will need a battery Isolator to make this happen, Go to any Parts store or RV supply and they have them. It allows you to not have the two batteries in series and achieve what your looking for. Good luck
B Aceves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
henrys57wagon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You want to keep both batteries separate. The second battery would feed your stereo etc. You would wire in the isolator as you would wire in a relay( which does the same job as an isolator). A 12ga wire from the truck battery(alt would do) to the isolator then to the spare battery, (for recharging only) this is the part of the relay that is not energized when the key is off. Then a signal wire(16ga) from a run circuit to the coil of the relay then to a ground. This is the same as wiring a fan relay, hope this make sense, Henry. PS you want the batteries in parallel.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
Harry 6674

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I personally don't trust isolators. I like to use a 200 amp continous duty solenoid to charge the spare batteries with its own switch. That way I control when I'm chargeing the extra batteries. Also which ever way you go use 8 or 10ga. wire, I prefer 8ga with a large (100 amp+) alternator.
Harry 6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
magnumv8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All the isolator is for is to allow your dual batteries to be charged from a single source plus keep them "isolated" from each others circuitry...in your case you would just need to follow the instructions that come with them to do the proper install....there are a couple different types of isolaters so let the RV supplier direct you to the one that best suits your needs...the main thing is to fuse protect your invertor feeds from your secondary battery, depending on how large a battery you use you have the potential for full battery power to both inverters, without the fuses you could have a very large fire if for some reason an inverter feed shorts out....also depending on how far you have to go from your battery to the 2500 watt inverter you may need to go larger than 2ga.....for our installs we usually end up running dual 2ga feeds for a 2500 watt inverter because you have a power need of more than 200 amps at max output on that size inverter....you will need around a 50A fuse for the small inverter and around 250A fuse for the 2500 unit...DO NOT USE BREAKERS...these will give you around the 125% safety factor required for a good install.....remember to always keep your fuses as close to your battery as possible......

D L RAMBO....
magnumv8 is offline   Reply With Quote