HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 06-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: Sox & Martin Superbird aka SuperChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
Yup, I've got a post at moparts.com, but not much has come of it. HemiFred hasn't replied to my requests, yet.

Moose: Sweet pics. I don't have the one on right. Where was that taken? Looks like it's later in the year...added two stickers (fwd of the valvoline and champion stickers) and the hooker sticker looks like it's been ripped off.
Sorry I have no idea where that photo was taken, and I suggest you look at your other thread for any new updates because I heard it is long gone.

But I do have a question myself, and would like to know if this was a real 1970 Hemi Superbird (or other engine originally) or maybe a body in white from the factory. Can anyone here confirm the VIN # of the Sox & Martin 70 Superbird?
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #12
Topper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry, I wasn't very clear above...I've seen what he wrote on moparts, but it was very vague...no specifics, so I sent him a private message and emailed his aol account, but no reply, yet. I'm sure there's somebody out there that knows specifics about when/how it was destroyed, crushed, blown away, or whatever (heard them all). Better yet, I'd just love to be able to talk to folks that raced it, but there are no names after Sox and Martin sold it.

Your questions: Jack Werst's Mr 5&50 was supposedly similar to body in white...it's vin is on the NASCAR registry (sox car is probably on there also, but not identified yet), and it is believed that it was a 'modified' NASCAR bird, which means it was delivered w/o the vinyl roof and the plug seams would have been smoothed. I would think the S&M car would have come to them the same way.

Werst's was a hemi auto, S&M was a 440 4spd, but Chrysler Historical can't find records of any birds being made for NHRA/AHRA.

When I get back to the Norfolk area, I hope to take a weekend and go see Diann (sp) Sox to see if she's got anything that could help.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

I'm no expert, but

wasn't that a 440 6-Barrel hood scoop on the car.
Was that car an original 440-6 barrel / 4 speed to start with
for SS/G.
Than switched to SS/E, and than onto to C/MP, and then
back to Super/Stock.

A shot in the dark !
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #14
Hemiparts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
Sorry, I wasn't very clear above...I've seen what he wrote on moparts, but it was very vague...no specifics, so I sent him a private message and emailed his aol account, but no reply, yet. I'm sure there's somebody out there that knows specifics about when/how it was destroyed, crushed, blown away, or whatever (heard them all). Better yet, I'd just love to be able to talk to folks that raced it, but there are no names after Sox and Martin sold it.

Your questions: Jack Werst's Mr 5&50 was supposedly similar to body in white...it's vin is on the NASCAR registry (sox car is probably on there also, but not identified yet), and it is believed that it was a 'modified' NASCAR bird, which means it was delivered w/o the vinyl roof and the plug seams would have been smoothed. I would think the S&M car would have come to them the same way.

Werst's was a hemi auto, S&M was a 440 4spd, but Chrysler Historical can't find records of any birds being made for NHRA/AHRA.

When I get back to the Norfolk area, I hope to take a weekend and go see Diann (sp) Sox to see if she's got anything that could help.
I almost assure you that when you get in touch w/ Herb Sr he can tell you exactley where the car went who drove it and where it is now. I thought @ one time in and story on another site about Todd Werner down in Fl I caught glimpse of the S&M bird.
Hemiparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #15
Topper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine View Post
I'm no expert, but

wasn't that a 440 6-Barrel hood scoop on the car.
Was that car an original 440-6 barrel / 4 speed to start with
for SS/G.
Than switched to SS/E, and than onto to C/MP, and then
back to Super/Stock.

A shot in the dark !
Recent moparmusclemagazine article about Jake King says it was a Six Pack car. The six pack hood was a S&M add on hood. All of the early pics I've seen of it have the blue roof/factory hood with SS/E on the windows and later pics have Vinyl roof/6pack hood with C/MP on the window. Looks like it was later run as SuperChicken with the 6pack hood on it.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #16
davezinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i thought that S&M had two Superbirds that they ran in different classes? i thought there was one with the 440/6-pack and another one with a Hemi and a rat roaster intake manifold.
davezinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #17
Topper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nope, just one. I've been told they just swap motors/hoods for different classes. Would like solid confirmation in the way of Vin #'s, pics, etc. So far, there's no pics of 2 birds, Ronnie Sox had said there was only one, and those that raced them said there was only one.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #18
davezinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

there is a picture in the Hemi Dart thread of the Sox&Martin shop that shows two Superbirds in the pic. one is clearly shown while the other is in the background and mostly just the roof and wing are visible.

i don't think it was as simple as swapping hoods and engine combo's, i still firmly believe that there were two different cars and there are enough differences between the two in old pics to support that.
davezinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #19
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Notice the difference in the Wing Angle, some people say that car in the background is a 69 Daytona... Also notice on the bench there is a couple of cross-rams or tunnel ram intakes being prepped. Anyone care to comment on exactly which it is, my guess is with the Superbird having a flat hood they're the cross-ram intakes

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 06-18-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #20
Topper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

S&M worked on cars for other folks. That was the case with the Daytona (Chuck Neely's) in the corner and the baracuda next to the sox bird.