HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 09-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
tbenvie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Need info for 1969 Hurst Super Stock AMXs

I am researching the 53 Hurst SS/AMX, a joint venture between American Motors and Hurst. I am familiar with the www.ssamx.com website. Anyone have any info or pics they can send? Still looking for some missing cars:

Stowe Engineering, Hicksville, NY
Uncle Sam El Paso, TX
Beachy Bros Ray Well Motors car from Kokomo, IN
Chuck's Luck, Wayne Nissen, Shrevesport, LA
Flemington Rambler, Ted Kijak, Gilberts Speed, Lancaster, PA
Go Package, Skeeter Hernandez
The Big Menace, Dick Allen Motors, Westchester, CA

Here is my thread about these cars thus far. Can anyone help or point me somewhere?

http://theamcforum.com/forum/ss-amx-...414_page1.html

thanks for any help
tbenvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Bob Pagano
VIP Member

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: Need info for 1969 Hurst Super Stock AMXs

Flemington Rambler, Ted Kijak, Gilberts Speed, Lancaster, PA

This car was owned by Dave Sippolie (spelling) his father owned the dealership. Dave ran a company called Trans/End that moved south, dont know if he is still in business. Ted was the driver, Ted bought the car and ran it a couple of years then went missing. Last I heard he lived in Somerville, NJ.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
Scotty D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

beachy bros own a engine shop specializing in superstock motors in kokomo indiana.someone here can get you contact info.
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
SuperStockDodge

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Bill & Brian Rodekopf SS AMX in Kansas City, original owners and was an American Motors dealer in K.C.
SuperStockDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

George Gudat and a select few have all the documents, 1969 VINs, VIN conversion #'s from the 1969 to 1970 SS/AMX's and all the tell-tale signs of a true original. I've asked that "they" (who seem to be the purveyors of the SS/AMX web-site) have a Galeen Govier or Kevin Marti type of documentation of originality. From what I understand there are three factions and none seem to agree how best to handle the situation. I spoke to George recently and he's finally had enough of the AMC drama club.
Are you looking for pictures to ad to the SS/AMX web-site or are you looking to start your own collection?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:29 AM   #6
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ray Well Motors was owned by Larry Vitatoe's dad last I heard Larry lived in Chilicohte, OH. He haded a front wheel drive Olds for a while, that car the AMC was damaged one time in 69 at Bunker Hill Dragway the Detroit locker unlocked on gear change and went off trake and hit a lite pole or fence poll but was repaired..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
beachy bros own a engine shop specializing in superstock motors in kokomo indiana.someone here can get you contact info.
BlueOval Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
tbenvie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking for any and all info on the cars and hope to share it with everyone via the following thread:

http://theamcforum.com/forum/ss-amx-...414_page1.html

As you can see there is a ton of info and original documentation. I have sent a number of items to the owners of the SS/AMX website but most of it was ever posted. I also sent the stuff to another SS/AMX collector. For some reason the items are out there but not shared. I hope to locate and show the cars as they were and as they are now. I would be happy to share anything I get with other sites. So far a number of people have sent me items to help with the cars. A lot of the stuff I have posted has not been seen before.

Please keep the stuff coming. I am very grateful for the help on a project I have been working on for almost 30 years.
tbenvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
Cool_Hand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Tom,
Steve Avery. One of the p;laces I stumbled onto. Check out this info regarding the Beachy Brothers:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...201085&page=45
And this:http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_cw3pyn

The first is a little background, the second will help you follow-up.

Steve
Cool_Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The problem seems to be the owners, or at least a select few owners, of these 53 cars are concerned that if too much info is publicized then it will be that much easier to clone. I believe they are most concerned about VIN and data forging on the missing cars. A friend of mine has SS/AMX #3 (originally Frisbee Motors from the San Francisco bay area) and he had to come up with some pretty detailed information on the car to get it authenticated for the SS/AMX registry. I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing but what we have expressed to these individuals is a need for a document of authenticity such as offered by MOPAR guru Galen Govier or FOMOCO guru Kevin Marti.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #10
Cool_Hand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
The problem seems to be the owners, or at least a select few owners, of these 53 cars are concerned that if too much info is publicized then it will be that much easier to clone. I believe they are most concerned about VIN and data forging on the missing cars. A friend of mine has SS/AMX #3 (originally Frisbee Motors from the San Francisco bay area) and he had to come up with some pretty detailed information on the car to get it authenticated for the SS/AMX registry. I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing but what we have expressed to these individuals is a need for a document of authenticity such as offered by MOPAR guru Galen Govier or FOMOCO guru Kevin Marti.
LOL. Yeah that may be the case, with certain owners, but oh well, it's not up to them. And they certainly have the right to feel any way they want but they don't have the power, nor the "priviledge" of stopping the information flow from other sources including for their car if it shows up on a list. Just its whereabouts and current owner may be mum. Which is fine. Any one of these cars, are, by any other comparable manufacturer standard, bargain basement priced. Concerns about cloning should be at the bottom of the list. In any case, those that want privacy with regard to their own individual car(s) will likely keep their privacy, however quesswork tied into an historically accurate car would be such that it wouldn't be tough to figure out all the details if someone saw it..
The real situation is not all the cars have been identified. Trying to find them by vins alone or first even, would be bassackwards anyway. Tracking them down will be far better accomplished by knowing a car's provenance by dealer/driver name when new and matching that with a document referring to the car. If a car in question comes up such that one can see it, then yes, the first thing to check would be the vin to confirm or deny, so to speak. Now, if someone currently owns a car that they know is one of the 53 but they haven't revealed that, well, how is anyone else going to know? For cars that simply haven't been identified because people that have them don't know what they are- those are the ones of interest. Even the searchers, and I'm one of 'em, don't know, as yet, what all the "official" cars are. We are narrowing things down, but unmistakable identification is still in the works on some.
Eventually something along the lines of a Marti or Govier "blessing" will be the case, but remember, the smoking gun paperwork clearly identifying the original total and the vins affected is/are the only true master document(s) to judge prospective cars from along the same lines as a Marti or Govier report. Even then, AMC documentation systems and breakout availability are not like other manufacturers. There's a distinct scarcity of manufacturing info, code breakdowns, and yearly totals. In the case of the SS's- given the small number built and the unique parts that they were supposed to be equipped with as per the Supplemental Parts Sheets, unique assembly line parts breakouts of how they were originally equipped isn't the problem, or even particularly pertinent. These were race cars from moment one, meaning change was the operative term ever after. Given that these cars were basic "kits" makes that even more the main point. Further complicating things are the changes the dealers made or likely made upon delivery, removing rocker panel trim, changing mirrors, swapping electric wiper motors for the vacuum ones, and the currently unknown nature of the instrument pods and some being hooded and some not. Were they switched at the dealer? Did AMC have a shortage on the line?
So the provenance for a car can involve vintage pictures, company memos, build sheets, the vin and so on. Primarily, documentation and the vin. Anything else, while helpful, can be changed or is not unique to just an Hurst SS.

Steve

Last edited by Cool_Hand; 10-02-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Cool_Hand is offline   Reply With Quote