Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-05-2023, 11:05 AM   #11
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 939 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Blinder/Blocker clarification needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubski View Post
This is the never ending story of TEARS !! What Bubski would like to propose is that some entrepreneur !! Come up with an SFI certified blinder like some of the other ridiculous must need in order to race items !! That way SFI and NHRA can cash in and make it a contingency item so you can get robbed of every last penny you make !! At least you'll have your blinder than !! Cheers !!
I can see it now, "Blinder Tethers", only $129.99, with a 2 year SFI cert!
Old 02-05-2023, 12:39 PM   #12
Hefler

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

This is what the rule says.. I guess it depends on what “temporary” or “permanent”is or is not.

Temporary or permanent shielding that obstructs the drivers vision (eg.. blinders, staging aids) is prohibited

Temporary or permanent
Taping or similar modifications
to the helmet or helmet shield that reduces the driver’s field of vision is prohibited.

Last edited by Hefler; 02-05-2023 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Edit
Hefler is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-05-2023, 12:58 PM   #13
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts

My understanding is that the rule was made to deal with visibility problems in the pits.

I would not see a hand held device as a problem in the pits and would assume that they would be allowed. Yes I am saying this fully understanding wat assume can mean!

Bill Lamb
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 02:32 PM   #14
Joey Bohannon

Liked 61 Times in 21 Posts

If you think you have to have a blinder why not just campaign to allow delay boxes......both are crutches.
Joey Bohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:11 PM   #15
PETE PEERY

Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts

I read this forum almost every day but almost never post but this has my dander up. My blinder is 3X3 in and 3X4 with notch cut out mounted permanently on rollbar. They do not impede my vision at all when driving in pits or loading in trailer. However i will say it is somewhat limited in the few seconds when i close one eye as the tree is coming down. If somehow i hit someone while driving in pits then i just was not paying attention or that person was not. Have i seen oversize blinders and aids racers use......YES. NHRA just needs to give us some COMMON SENSE guidelines and enforce them (period). I do not think this new rule is all about safety but more someones personal agenda. If we cannot get some kind of compromise on this we might expect in the future to be told we have to have both hands on wheel at 10&2 at all times. This last comment may sound absurd but my sweet grandaughters driving instructor told her this and she took him literally. She could not turn a 90 degree corner without running over the curb. I'm through with my rant HAVE A NICE DAY.
PETE PEERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:34 PM   #16
Stan Weiss

Liked 545 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETE PEERY View Post
I read this forum almost every day but almost never post but this has my dander up. My blinder is 3X3 in and 3X4 with notch cut out mounted permanently on rollbar. They do not impede my vision at all when driving in pits or loading in trailer. However i will say it is somewhat limited in the few seconds when i close one eye as the tree is coming down. If somehow i hit someone while driving in pits then i just was not paying attention or that person was not. Have i seen oversize blinders and aids racers use......YES. NHRA just needs to give us some COMMON SENSE guidelines and enforce them (period). I do not think this new rule is all about safety but more someones personal agenda. If we cannot get some kind of compromise on this we might expect in the future to be told we have to have both hands on wheel at 10&2 at all times. This last comment may sound absurd but my sweet grandaughters driving instructor told her this and she took him literally. She could not turn a 90 degree corner without running over the curb. I'm through with my rant HAVE A NICE DAY.

That is one way to stop people from running a manual trans.

Stan
Stan Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:18 PM   #17
KRatcliff

Liked 502 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETE PEERY View Post
Some may know that this is my Crew Chief (Dad) and I agree with the idea of common sense guidelines for the ones that use blinders.

I for one have to open tree also due to my Crew Chief. I drive a stick in Stock and I thought he was going to stroke out at the starting line because I would get on the 2-step way too early. He would have visions of all that he would need to fix if I kept using a blinder.

I would still use a blinder (if he went to the lanes with the Emmons), but I am making a go of it open tree. Not real good at it mainly because he hasn't figured out a consistent way to connect my delay box. I will have to consider that when his contract renews.
KRatcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:36 PM   #18
bubski

Liked 186 Times in 63 Posts

Bubski like This won't just stop !! OK its not legal to "port " your stock heads right ?? But it's hard to police ?? Right ?? A blinder is not very hard to police !! for **%k sake put away the bracket racing aids you all despise cause your so much better than a "bracket racer" !! Work on your limp neck and inability to function as a CLASS RACER and Have a nice day !! Cheers !!
bubski is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-05-2023, 08:49 PM   #19
Future Super Stocker

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Come on. Just use your sun visor. It's factory installed. Everyone still has to catch the bottom bulb.
Future Super Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-05-2023, 09:39 PM   #20
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,612 Times in 1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Super Stocker View Post
Come on. Just use your sun visor. It's factory installed. Everyone still has to catch the bottom bulb.
Mr. Future, it’s a lil harder to use a factory sun visor when you have a full cage in the car …
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked