Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-03-2023, 01:14 PM   #21
SBillinson

Liked 166 Times in 47 Posts
Default Re: 1995 Mustang Super Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrphil View Post
Somehow, it's allowing the engine/trans to still move. Had a dragster once that would bend the plate with only 2 inches between the block and side rail - the limiters were on the frame rail which would move on launch. Moved the limiters to a tubing junction and the movement went away. Can't allow movement if it's placed correctly. Chassis twist, or flex, may be doing it. That's kinda ugly.
I had a couple of hard landings at the hit, which most likely caused the bend or at least contributed to it. The aluminum front motor plate didn't show any signs of stress.

I do a lot of welding and fabrication. If the steel was sourced offshore, then it's not ideal. That's not to say that domestic steel wouldn't have bent, but I doubt it would have to the degree seen in the photos. All of the offshore steel that I have used is substandard at best. You can tell immediately when you hit it with the tig torch.
Old 02-03-2023, 02:34 PM   #22
pmrphil

Liked 247 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBillinson View Post
I had a couple of hard landings at the hit, which most likely caused the bend or at least contributed to it. The aluminum front motor plate didn't show any signs of stress.

I do a lot of welding and fabrication. If the steel was sourced offshore, then it's not ideal. That's not to say that domestic steel wouldn't have bent, but I doubt it would have to the degree seen in the photos. All of the offshore steel that I have used is substandard at best. You can tell immediately when you hit it with the tig torch.

Can't argue about quality of the steel, I agree. But, if the front (with any material) isn't bending, then it leads me to wonder if the rear is moving up or down (instead of fore and aft) on the hard landings - crossmember possibly flexing would sort of "pivot" on the front support and help to bend the midplate?

Tossing ideas out here because if nothing is moving, nothing can bend, I don't care what material it's constructed from.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:17 PM   #23
SBillinson

Liked 166 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrphil View Post
Can't argue about quality of the steel, I agree. But, if the front (with any material) isn't bending, then it leads me to wonder if the rear is moving up or down (instead of fore and aft) on the hard landings - crossmember possibly flexing would sort of "pivot" on the front support and help to bend the midplate?

Tossing ideas out here because if nothing is moving, nothing can bend, I don't care what material it's constructed from.
That's true. I haven't had any problems since welding two mid-plates together, but I'm going over the suspension before getting out this year to see if anything is binding or moving around.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:02 PM   #24
weedburner

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Not a Mustang or Super Stocker, but here's something I made for one of my personal hotrods. It's a 3pc setup where the bell, block plate, and midplate are all separate pieces. This gives me the additional option of removing the complete engine/flywheel/clutch as an assembly without having to disturb the trans/driveshaft/shifter. Having the support ears "up" rather than "out" keeps them completely away from the headers. In this pic you can also see three added bolts that serve to keep the bell attached to the midplate when the bellhousing bolts are removed...

The car does have a crossmember under the rear of the trans, but it serves more as lower support and fore/aft travel limiter, it does not bolt to the trans itself.

Here's a pic of the block plate installed on the engine, I made the center hole bigger to aid clutch cooling...

Here's a pic from the inside showing one of the aluminum brackets I made to spread the loads across a wider area of the car's thin sheetmetal firewall...

Like I said this is not a Mustang, but it is similar in that it is a unibody car. This car has had the midplate attached to the firewall for 12 years now, no problems.

Here's a link to some info about the rest of the car, there are some pictures on there that document my process of fabricating this bellhousing from scratch...

http://grannys.tripod.com/20102.html

weedburner is offline   Reply With Quote