Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-24-2022, 08:49 AM   #51
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,787 Times in 1,524 Posts
Default Re: 65-85 under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Parker View Post
Billy really let them ruin their combo. It's their fault. What the he## good will that do. Not all of us race a combo that you don't have to worry about heads up runs in the eliminator. BP
Barry, let's say that Santa (NHRA) gives you and all of YOUR little friends (396/375 guys) a "special" present for Christmas. Let's say for the sake of this discussion,a pistol. While all of the rest of us get nothing but the usual socks and underwear. Let's say that you and your little friends are outside "playing" with your "special" presents and a couple of you manage to shoot yourselves in the foot. Is that Santa's fault? Are the rest of us at fault? Should the rest of the good little boys and girls (the rest of us in the Eliminator, you know the ones who got s#!t) be punished for your indiscretions? No, we shouldn't. YOU and your friends (the 396/375 guys) are at fault for shooting yourselves in the foot.
OBTW, YOU choose to run in a class where you have to be concerned about heads-up runs. You can change that.

Let me know if I have to explain this analogy to you so that you'll understand it.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!

Last edited by Billy Nees; 12-24-2022 at 08:52 AM.
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 09:45 AM   #52
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 822 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Barry, let's say that Santa (NHRA) gives you and all of YOUR little friends (396/375 guys) a "special" present for Christmas. Let's say for the sake of this discussion,a pistol. While all of the rest of us get nothing but the usual socks and underwear. Let's say that you and your little friends are outside "playing" with your "special" presents and a couple of you manage to shoot yourselves in the foot. Is that Santa's fault? Are the rest of us at fault? Should the rest of the good little boys and girls (the rest of us in the Eliminator, you know the ones who got s#!t) be punished for your indiscretions? No, we shouldn't. YOU and your friends (the 396/375 guys) are at fault for shooting yourselves in the foot.
OBTW, YOU choose to run in a class where you have to be concerned about heads-up runs. You can change that.

Let me know if I have to explain this analogy to you so that you'll understand it.
I think your getting soft Billy.............tell us what you really think.
Old 12-24-2022, 10:11 AM   #53
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Glenn, tell me that I'm wrong and I'll delete the post.

Old 12-24-2022, 12:09 PM   #54
Signman

Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts

A lot of the discussion here is bordering on absurd. In most discussions not only here those involved cannot see past their nose including themselves instead of looking at the whole picture speaking generally for everyone. Those in power who read this stuff realize that shutting off their hearing aids.

Those who screamed the AHFS will never work becuase it's so easy to manipulate well NHRA listened. This system for sure will work sandbagging or not becuase those who are fast still will qualify at the top and win heads up.

The fast guys have an argument though: All runs at NHRA season points earning events count "including all class eliminations". Class eliminations beyond 1st round are not part of qualifying earn no points therefore as per wording of the AHFS should not be included in the data base. Believe this was done a few years back. If they want class to be something other than time shots on the brakes who can cut a light and take less stripe they may hear something.

Why not petition NHRA to loosen up a little exclude runs after 1st round of class let them run and have fun. This is supposed to be fun. If NHRA turns up the volume on their hearing aids with this ask for special events like Indy and Sports Nationals be excluded from the data base completely to add to the show..

NHRA has a streaming TV station ya think more content like class eliminations of S/SS may just make some interesting content to add.

Marry Christmas & Happy New Year to ALL!!!
Old 12-24-2022, 12:28 PM   #55
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,035 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
It's about time that you woke up Barry! Probably dreaming about what NHRA is going to give you next.
Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year! See you in the spring!

Billy,
Just FYI, the unmodified 359 intake is worth, at best, 0.07 over a mediocre 163. We replaced a set of McDowell 291 cast iron heads with a set of Heintz 401 heads, both truly LEGAL, and the car slowed down about 0.08, and changing camshafts, etc, didn't help, the 10HP penalty on our car wasn't worth it. The 750 Quick Fuel is legal for everyone that uses a 750 Holley vacuum secondary carburetor. Now, our stuff was never "cheated up", it was always all dead legal. We didn't get any magic one off cams, either, still the original 0.520" lift since the engines were developed in 1965.

And last I looked, 2-3 years ago, the 396/375 aluminum head 69 Camaro was carrying at least 37HP above the factory rating for the "gifts", and has, for quite some time.

As far as it goes, it happens that it's a great combination, always has been. And the car itself is possibly the most popular pony car ever built, so, yeah, it has a massive amount of aftermarket support, including clone bodies.

Honestly, I'm cool with the dime rockets, and obscure cars, and hey, if you want to campaign a FWD that no one makes parts for, that's cool, too.

I'm just not seeing where those choices require the constant complaining about the 69 Camaro, which you never have to race heads up. Hell, I'm not even a huge fan of the 69 Camaro, my partner owns the car and he's the fan of them.

There are several reasons the car is parked, this crap is probably part of it. We're considering getting it out to play with it locally. Maybe. I love Stock, whining and all.
Old 12-24-2022, 12:42 PM   #56
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Alan, I respect your opinion more that most. I'm not complaining about the 396/375 combo. I'm just using it in an analogy to try and get certain Racers to understand that the Eliminator doesn't end at G/SA. There are a number of Racers on here whose only self-serving mission is to lower the indexes 3/4/5 (what the h&!!, lower them a second!) so that they don't screw up their own personal agenda! There are probably a dozen other combos that I could plug in to my previous post that will serve the same purpose. I really don't care much which way the AHFS goes. I'm AM however concerned when certain people start wanting to lower the indexes just for their own benefit.

Old 12-24-2022, 02:19 PM   #57
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Quote:
Alan, I respect your opinion more that most. I'm not complaining about the 396/375 combo. I'm just using it in an analogy to try and get certain Racers to understand that the Eliminator doesn't end at G/SA. There are a number of Racers on here whose only self-serving mission is to lower the indexes 3/4/5 (what the h&!!, lower them a second!) so that they don't screw up their own personal agenda! There are probably a dozen other combos that I could plug in to my previous post that will serve the same purpose. I really don't care much which way the AHFS goes. I'm AM however concerned when certain people start wanting to lower the indexes just for their own benefit.

The indexes, honestly, haven't kept up with technology. Nor, unfortunately, have they kept up with what NHRA has allowed to pass tech in Stock. NHRA made those choices. A lot of them I certainly don't agree with myself.

Sadly, a lot of combinations haven't, whether or not they can.

I can see where people want the indexes lowered, and why. Even though lowering the indexes would make my life harder, and returning to Stock more questionable. And I'd dearly love to return. having a life threatening disease will make you want to live, and do things. It changes your perspective. Drastically. We won class a few times. We came close to a national event win a couple of times. And I left Indy with my tail between my legs. I have things I'd like to do before I take a dirt nap, things I've come close to.

Racing Stock is a series of choices. NHRA makes a lot of them for you. But you make a lot for yourself. If you choose to race Stock, you chose to race under the rules as they stand.

You choose your car (unless you have a partner who owns it). Now, it's up to you how you choose it, and what factors you considered. Is it something you had? Is it something you got cheap? Did you choose it because you like it? Did you choose it because you have an emotional attachment? But the factors you take into consideration when you choose, are your choice.

If you didn't choose it because it's a competitive combination, and it has support from the aftermarket, then you made the choice, and you don't really have a ton of room to complain. If you chose to try to race Stock on a shoestring budget, you're not going to be very fast, unless you're really good, not many of us are that good. Your choice. If you're not going to tear your stuff down and update, upgrade, test, etc, that's your choice, you chose not to be competitive. It takes the willingness to test, tune, and do R&D to be competitive. If there are cores available, someone will make cams for you. The piston companies will make pistons, and Total Seal makes lot of rings. There are valve companies that will make you valves. If you chose a combination where your stuff has to be "one off", the key phrase is "you chose a combination".

Am I a fan of what NHRA is letting through tech now? Hell NO! I'd love to see NHRA turn Wesley and Travis loose, and let them deal with it. Am I a fan of superseded parts? Not really, but I do see a reason in some cases. I just bought another cast iron original head, to have a second pair of original cast iron heads. I bought a set back that I sold. I don't like the cost to be competitive. I'm not running my own, and we've parked the orange Camaro, as much due to cost as anything. We know what it costs to compete at the level we want to. We don't feel like we can spend that money right now. We're not crying because others can. We're just parked.

As my late friend and fellow racer, Ronnie Duke, was fond of saying, "all drag racing takes is time and money. All your time, and all your money." Being competitive is a choice, if you're going to be competitive, you're going to devote a lot of your life, time and treasure. In Stock and Super Stock especially. And, as Dirty Harry Callahan wisely said, "A man's got to know his limitations".
Old 12-24-2022, 02:35 PM   #58
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

I do understand that there are lower classes, below G, and below where I like to run. Race cars should go pretty fast, at least for me, or they're just not really fun. If it won't run the quarter at least as well as my Harley Pro street Breakout, it just doesn't do it for me. I realize that ain't where everyone is in the sport. Some people really enjoy 13, 14, 15, and 16 second cars. That's their choice. And hey, maybe their indexes don't need adjustment, or much adjustment.

Like Barry Parker said, as much as lot of us older guys would love to see a return, at least partially, to the tech we saw in the twentieth century, those days are gone. Forever. I have to live with the fact that, as Jimmy Bridges says to my wife, "me and your husband, we's cavemen, we from back in history." Doesn't mean I don't want NHRA to tighten tech up. Just means I'm old enough to know not to hold my breath waiting on it.

Relax and make peace with it. It might even make it easier to convince yourself to go racing. We ain't gonna live forever.
Old 12-24-2022, 04:14 PM   #59
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
I do understand that there are lower classes, below G, and below where I like to run. Race cars should go pretty fast, at least for me, or they're just not really fun. If it won't run the quarter at least as well as my Harley Pro street Breakout, it just doesn't do it for me. I realize that ain't where everyone is in the sport. Some people really enjoy 13, 14, 15, and 16 second cars. That's their choice. And hey, maybe their indexes don't need adjustment, or much adjustment.
Alan, your last 2 posts are "wise words from a wise man".
The only way that I could even consider an index reduction would be if it DIDN'T include the lower classes. You would have to agree that the "less than hi-performance" combos largely don't respond to or aren't included in many of the "enhancements" that have been given out over the years. Would you consider this for a minute? The L/SA index has been "screwy" (for lack of a better term) forever. Look it up. How about A thru K get -.10 (including the FS classes) and L down (including the FWD classes) get left as is? Or if A/K get -.20 and L down -.10? Would that be enough to keep the fast boys happy?

Last edited by Billy Nees; 12-24-2022 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-24-2022, 05:26 PM   #60
442OLDS
VIP Member

Liked 262 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Alan, your last 2 posts are "wise words from a wise man".
The only way that I could even consider an index reduction would be if it DIDN'T include the lower classes. You would have to agree that the "less than hi-performance" combos largely don't respond to or aren't included in many of the "enhancements" that have been given out over the years. Would you consider this for a minute? The L/SA index has been "screwy" (for lack of a better term) forever. Look it up. How about A thru K get -.10 (including the FS classes) and L down (including the FWD classes) get left as is? Or if A/K get -.20 and L down -.10? Would that be enough to keep the fast boys happy?
At the St.Louis Divisional in October where 156 cars were trying to get into the top 128,the first 4 cars were L/SA and lower.
What is the point of this proposal?
442OLDS is offline   Reply With Quote