HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 01-25-2023, 07:32 PM   #1
hilton

Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Default Sbc Bullet oil pump

Looking to buy a billet oil pump for my next build . The 2 pumps I'm looking at are the Moroso 22171 or the Melling 10055St-825SS anyone have any experience good or bad with either of these pumps Thanks
hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-25-2023, 10:59 PM   #2
KennyAnderson

Liked 234 Times in 80 Posts
Default Re: Sbc Bullet oil pump

Do some homework. I only have experience with BBC applications and billet pumps. I have removed two from two of my personal engines. One Moroso and one Titan. No complaints on either but to say they perform TOO well. Sucked the pan dry on the long track. Switched to Moroso blueprinted pumps and have had zero issues since.
KennyAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-26-2023, 03:14 AM   #3
lorenr

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Cool Re: Sbc Bullet oil pump

How do you "suck a pan dry"?

The oil has to go somewhere. Even if the pan only contains five quarts of oil the oil cannot remain in the motor. It must return to the pan.

I recall some research from many years ago. A small block Chevrolet only holds about a quart. The rest is on its way back to the pan.

If oil sloshes around in the motor, you have other issues. Add more oil or decide why it sloshes.
lorenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:42 PM   #4
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,453 Times in 541 Posts
Default Re: Sbc Bullet oil pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenr View Post
How do you "suck a pan dry"?

The oil has to go somewhere. Even if the pan only contains five quarts of oil the oil cannot remain in the motor. It must return to the pan.

I recall some research from many years ago. A small block Chevrolet only holds about a quart. The rest is on its way back to the pan.

If oil sloshes around in the motor, you have other issues. Add more oil or decide why it sloshes.
It happens with many brands of engines when there is insufficient drainback to the oil pan. Some high volume and high pressure oil pumps are designed for use with deeper, high capacity oil pans. When used with an OEM small capacity oil pump, it can create issues. I
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked