HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 06-15-2022, 01:06 PM   #1
stocker396

Liked 56 Times in 14 Posts
Default Valve Spring options

Looking at replacing my valve springs. (396/350 combo) conventional cam (non-square nose) solid Smith Lifters. Currently using COMP-999 conventional spring, Was told by Bullet to Use the PAC-1427's conical style. These are now "made in China" and I have heard some complaints about durability and longevity with them. Are they the only option
now? Are they that bad? Used to use Isky tool room but had an availability issue last time. Bullet said that the COMP's are too much and could be causing harmonic issues.
FYI also ordering a different cam when I make the change. Im looking for some input with real word results if possible.
thanks in advance
Old 06-15-2022, 01:15 PM   #2
Joe Marcinowski

Liked 33 Times in 15 Posts
Default Re: Valve Spring options

Call Ken at Motorsports Unlimited. You can get the number off of their website.
Old 06-18-2022, 05:24 PM   #3
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

I have talked to people at PAC about springs being made in Michigan. Sources of wire can be from outside of the US, but I have not heard they source metal or wire from China or make them in China. Anything is possible, but to be fair to PAC Springs, saying they make them in China deserves some validation since it is seen as a negative. What is the source of the info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker396 View Post
Looking at replacing my valve springs. (396/350 combo) conventional cam (non-square nose) solid Smith Lifters. Currently using COMP-999 conventional spring, Was told by Bullet to Use the PAC-1427's conical style. These are now "made in China" and I have heard some complaints about durability and longevity with them. Are they the only option
now? Are they that bad? Used to use Isky tool room but had an availability issue last time. Bullet said that the COMP's are too much and could be causing harmonic issues.
FYI also ordering a different cam when I make the change. Im looking for some input with real word results if possible.
thanks in advance
Old 06-18-2022, 08:11 PM   #4

Liked 906 Times in 236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
I have talked to people at PAC about springs being made in Michigan. Sources of wire can be from outside of the US, but I have not heard they source metal or wire from China or make them in China. Anything is possible, but to be fair to PAC Springs, saying they make them in China deserves some validation since it is seen as a negative. What is the source of the info?
I agree, a call to Matt from PAC would be a good way to verify this info. Their website says they manufacture all their springs in Michigan USA.

1342 SS/GT
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 11:19 PM   #5
b.guggenmos

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I have an NOS set of Comp 999-16 valve springs that have been on my shelf for a really long time. Would make you a really good deal on them if you wish to continue with the same spring? I used PAC 1225's for my cam.
b.guggenmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:15 AM   #6
Ralph A Powell

Liked 201 Times in 122 Posts

I know for a fact the years ago well before this China deal that several high end spring manufacturers were getting very high grade spring material from Sweden and it was a 6 month lead time and very expensive!
Ralph A Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 10:05 AM   #7
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post

As a follow up, I communicated with Matt and PAC. He said they do NOT have springs made in China or metal from China. The bad info has been spread by a few re-sellers on Amazon who either didn’t know or didn’t fill out the description properly.
Old 06-20-2022, 04:01 PM   #8
J.R. Haddad

Liked 831 Times in 185 Posts

Jim, Thank You for putting common sense back into some of the posts
that are made. I know I appreciate you doing this this and not letting
things get too far off the rails. I know that sometimes facts ruin a
really good story, but I'll take the facts any day.

J.R.
J.R. Haddad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:03 AM   #9
Kenny Bomar

Liked 277 Times in 40 Posts

I’ve been running the pac conical springs on my zl1 stocker engine about 60 passes no problems
Kenny Bomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 06-24-2022, 11:51 AM   #10
Dave Casey
VIP Member

Liked 579 Times in 126 Posts

I have the same cam as you , 400hp 427 , for years I used a Manley nextek spring that came with a damper and I took out the inner spring. Worked great, lasted forever, never broke one and my cam is more square nosed and my car is a stick. Still have a set in my spare motor. I believe that the only advantage of a conical spring is weight at the valve. Sorry, but I do not have the manley number, you could probably figure it out in their catalog