HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-27-2022, 04:55 PM   #1
OkieRocket

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Large 16AN Stainless Braided Hose - best cutting method

Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong area of the Forum..... If so, my apologies.

Regarding cutting 16AN Fragola 3000 series Steel Braided Hose:

On smaller 3000 series Hose (i.e., 6AN – 12AN), I usually use a large pair of Klein Cable Cutters with approx. 20”+ length Handles. This works great, but I am getting ready to cut some much larger Fragola 16AN size 3000 Hose and don’t want to “tear it up.” I think the Klein Cutters will be way too small for this job.

On smaller Fragola AN Hose, I’ve also tried Hacksawing and even Chop Saw cutting using an Abrasive Blade, but don’t really like the Chop Saw route, due to excessive debris/mess, etc. In one case a while back (on a 12AN stainless braided Hose that came from Aerospace Engineering with a new Vacuum Pump I had purchased, I used an Abrasive Chop Saw and was surprised to find that the inner rubber Hose had separated from the outer stainless braiding!....It looked like the “glue”?? or bonding Tape?? “broke down,” due to the excessive heat of the cutting operation and failed. The inner Hose would then actually slide back and forth separately from each other….For this reason, I am always suspect on cutting anyone’s Stainless Steel braided Hose using an abrasive Chop Saw…Does anyone know if this a problem with Fragola Hose, or if using an abrasive Chop Saw, will the Fragola Hose (or other high quality Hose) not “separate” due to the high heat generated when cutting?

What is the “best method” to use when cutting the larger 16AN size Fragola 3000 Hose? Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Harold
OkieRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:55 PM   #2
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts
Default Re: Large 16AN Stainless Braided Hose - best cutting method

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieRocket View Post
Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong area of the Forum..... If so, my apologies.

Regarding cutting 16AN Fragola 3000 series Steel Braided Hose:

On smaller 3000 series Hose (i.e., 6AN – 12AN), I usually use a large pair of Klein Cable Cutters with approx. 20”+ length Handles. This works great, but I am getting ready to cut some much larger Fragola 16AN size 3000 Hose and don’t want to “tear it up.” I think the Klein Cutters will be way too small for this job.

On smaller Fragola AN Hose, I’ve also tried Hacksawing and even Chop Saw cutting using an Abrasive Blade, but don’t really like the Chop Saw route, due to excessive debris/mess, etc. In one case a while back (on a 12AN stainless braided Hose that came from Aerospace Engineering with a new Vacuum Pump I had purchased, I used an Abrasive Chop Saw and was surprised to find that the inner rubber Hose had separated from the outer stainless braiding!....It looked like the “glue”?? or bonding Tape?? “broke down,” due to the excessive heat of the cutting operation and failed. The inner Hose would then actually slide back and forth separately from each other….For this reason, I am always suspect on cutting anyone’s Stainless Steel braided Hose using an abrasive Chop Saw…Does anyone know if this a problem with Fragola Hose, or if using an abrasive Chop Saw, will the Fragola Hose (or other high quality Hose) not “separate” due to the high heat generated when cutting?

What is the “best method” to use when cutting the larger 16AN size Fragola 3000 Hose? Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Harold
For that size of hose, find a local hydraulic hose shop and have them cut it for you. The hand tools sold by AllStar and others are a hit/miss.
The dedicated circular blades are expensive, starting at $150.00 + per blade.

In my case, I use a high-speed Dremel tool with an EZ Lock dedicated circular blade for stainless steel. I tape the end of the hose, put the appropriate size long socket at the end of the hose, draw a line around the hose, and take my time cutting the hose. The socket prevents the separation of the inner core as you cut the end of the hose and the tape prevents fraying by keeping the braid together.

The circular blade I use is Dremel P/N Max Life EZ506HP, High-Performance Premium Metal Cutting Wheel.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:38 PM   #3
SBillinson

Liked 166 Times in 47 Posts

I use a Greenlee 718 cable cutter on all my braided hose including -16.

I usually sharpen the blades with a honing stone before cutting. It works perfectly on stainless and even nylon. If I get any fraying, I shape the end with the broad side of a cut off wheel.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:18 AM   #4
Shadylane

Liked 119 Times in 39 Posts

I usually insert a wooden dowel inside the hole of the hose that is close to the diameter of the hole, not to tight but not too loose, a little white grease helps. This keeps the shape of the hose intact. Electrical tape on the outside, cut using the method of your choice, Dremel is my favorite. After the cut is made take an air hose and blow out what’s left of the dowel. WARNING: what’s left of the dowel in the hose is a projectile!
Obviously if you want to make a cut in the middle of a 12 foot hose this doesn’t work but it works great to clean up your previous cuts.
Good luck
Old 05-28-2022, 11:50 AM   #5
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 655 Times in 255 Posts

Tape it and air grinder with cut off wheel. Cut it direction of cutter rotation and will come out clean. Air hose to clean and ready for fitting.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:38 PM   #6
OkieRocket

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Smile Re: Large 16AN Stainless Braided Hose - best cutting method

THANKS for all of the great Tips and Info. guys! I really appreciate the help!
Old 05-31-2022, 07:07 PM   #7
countrypuppy4865

Liked 183 Times in 62 Posts

Metabo or other thin cut off blade will work fine too
countrypuppy4865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:50 PM   #8
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 655 Times in 255 Posts

Do you need any 90's or straight ends? I have brand ones in the red blue color. Half of cost plus shipping.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:10 PM   #9
OkieRocket

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks for the "deal" Jeff, but I already have my Fittings. I appreciate the bargain though!
Liked
Old 06-13-2022, 03:11 PM   #10
garyc

Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts

I have the redhorse large cutter $$ one chop and your done, just one wrap with masking tape for fraying
garyc is offline   Reply With Quote