HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-20-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
greg fulk
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Question slick track?

OK guys I have a "stocker" I also have a soon to be done "bracket car" . The local track is VERY hit or miss on traction....what can I do to make sure my bracket car goes down this track? the car is an 81 Z-28 with a MILD 350 (flat top preformer cam & intake ) 10" conveter with 3.42 gears & 28x9 drag radials (their 275x60x15) do you think this will work?? Also do you think this car will go tru in 2 gears? (1/8th mile) (p.s. the reason for me building the bracket car are 1) the stocker will NOT get down this track 2) your looking @ over $2000 just to "freshen" the stocker engine)
Old 04-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: slick track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg fulk View Post
OK guys I have a "stocker" I also have a soon to be done "bracket car" . The local track is VERY hit or miss on traction....what can I do to make sure my bracket car goes down this track? the car is an 81 Z-28 with a MILD 350 (flat top preformer cam & intake ) 10" conveter with 3.42 gears & 28x9 drag radials (their 275x60x15) do you think this will work?? Also do you think this car will go tru in 2 gears? (1/8th mile) (p.s. the reason for me building the bracket car are 1) the stocker will NOT get down this track 2) your looking @ over $2000 just to "freshen" the stocker engine)
Greg ,buy my spare 283 stocker motor and get down any track running stock gt or bracket race. lol just a thought.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Floyd Gomez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Greg the biggest problem I have ever had with the later model 2nd generation cars is body roll. They want to twist really bad and it usually caused the body to crack right above the quarter panel. I would put subframe connectors and slapper bars, run a good drag shock and solid motor mounts for a start. The 3.42 gear is going to be tough for the 1/8th. I would use a 3.73 or 4.11 with the combo you stated to keep the RPM in the power range. Hope this helps.
Floyd Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
greg fulk
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Red face Re: slick track?

you think it will really need subframe connectors? I figure the car will run between 8.80 & 9.20 1/8 mile & I hope 13's (very high 13's) 1/4 mile. the car being a Z-28 already has a factory "anti-roll bar".
Old 04-21-2010, 06:13 AM   #5
Floyd Gomez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg fulk View Post
you think it will really need subframe connectors? I figure the car will run between 8.80 & 9.20 1/8 mile & I hope 13's (very high 13's) 1/4 mile. the car being a Z-28 already has a factory "anti-roll bar".
The cars just seem to twist a good bit. Street tires are not so bad on it but when you add a converter and slicks it makes it a lot worse. I used a set of bolt ons when I had my 81 and it worked great. I ran 13.70's with flat top motor, fireball cam, edlebrock intake and quadrajet carb. Had a basic stock turbo 350 trans with shift kit and 4.11 gears mini spool with stock axles. Before I installed sub frame connectors it would run .70 varriance. After installed with slapper bars it would stay between .00 and .05. Won a good bit of money with the car. Wish I still had it. LOL
Floyd Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
Tar Heel

You may want to, in the future, think about a bias-ply DOT tire for consistency. I have a '95 Impala SS that I drive to the track with Hoosier DOT drag radials. It will run low 12s NA with 1.6x 60' times (high 10s on NX). The drag radials are most likely quicker but on slick tracks they're hit or miss. I believe a bias-ply tire, like a Hoosier QTP, would be more forgiving if the track wasn't good and will offer a more consistent launch and ET. Just my .02 ...
Old 04-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
greg fulk
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thumbs up Re: slick track?

Thanks guys for all the input!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #8
rayfin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My opinion street radials suck. I like big slicks and a powerglide. I ran a 68 camaro with BFG 275-60-15 drag radials and they would hook like glue and then sometimes they would spin like crazy. Never had that problem with real slicks. Also my powerglide hooked up WAY better than my T350. Both cars were identical other wise.

Last edited by rayfin; 08-08-2010 at 10:50 PM.
rayfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
Robert Simpson

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Talking Re: slick track?

Greg, I don't think you will have a problem as long as your converter does not "flash" high. I know you said 10" conv etc. My street nova has a small M&H tire on it with a smaller motor than yours and runs 9.30's all day long with a 3.42 gear and a 12" conv. You will run 8's. If it had a problem at first, assuming you exhausted all other options, the I would pull timing out of it. Instead of 12-15 deg initial I would set it at 6 deg initial. I KNOW this kills bottom end in my car. I am curious to hear how your car runs. By the way your converter, who built it? Is it "off the shelf"? I am in the market for a street converter.

Robert
Robert Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote