HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-28-2024, 05:44 PM   #1
MarcoFD1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default F.A.S.T. tuning question

Is there any benefit or performance gain to pulling timing out in high gear?
MarcoFD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 06:49 AM   #2
Henrys Toy

Liked 466 Times in 159 Posts
Smile Re: F.A.S.T. tuning question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoFD1 View Post
Is there any benefit or performance gain to pulling timing out in high gear?
Good morning to all,
That will depend on your engine combination. What you might actually find is to run a little more ignition advance off the starting line and down the track and retard the timing to your regular amount just after you've shifted into high gear. The best way to determine the best total timing for your engine combination is to run on the dyno at various ignition timing settings. Also this will let you know how much fuel the engine wants. As far as I know you can't measure "Drivability" on an engine dyno.
I hope this helps, have a Good Day.

Respectfully,
Henry Kunz 1534 H/SA
Henrys Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 09:39 AM   #3
Robin Lawrence
Sponsor

Liked 622 Times in 108 Posts
Default Re: F.A.S.T. tuning question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrys Toy View Post
Good morning to all,
That will depend on your engine combination. What you might actually find is to run a little more ignition advance off the starting line and down the track and retard the timing to your regular amount just after you've shifted into high gear. The best way to determine the best total timing for your engine combination is to run on the dyno at various ignition timing settings. Also this will let you know how much fuel the engine wants. As far as I know you can't measure "Drivability" on an engine dyno.
I hope this helps, have a Good Day.

Respectfully,
Henry Kunz 1534 H/SA
I agree but will add a few thoughts, as stated above the combination will dictate what it wants.
Your trigger method will play a big part in what it wants as well. A flying magnet crank trigger or reductor on a late model will not have a "natural retard" like a distributor pickup on an engine with a timing chain and distributor gear at the far end of the camshaft.
I have seen some want more timing and others want less after peak torque. On my combination it doesn't seem to make any difference on the engine or chassis dyno. It does seem to make a difference at the track in the later gears.

Testing is the only way to really know.

The latest deal in Factory Showdown is in cylinder pressure analysis. Thats a little past my budget LOL.

Robin