HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-05-2022, 03:22 PM   #21
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts
Default Re: Explain to me again, please

2100?? Really? I bought a set for a SBC 4 months ago and they were 650.00. If that’s what they are I’m surprised. I wouldn’t think they went up that much. If so I apologize. What do roller lifters cost now? Have you gotten a price on those? I don’t mean cheap ones from summit either. I can understand not wanting to wait so long. Let’s Go Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Cain View Post
Todd, I know you didn't mean to call me a liar. Got off the phone yesterday with Trend. Was quoted $2100. Call if you still think I'm lying and then you can apologize. . "Advantage" No advantage that I can see except able to get car to track and race instead of sitting waiting who knows how long on parts.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:36 PM   #22
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hoven View Post
2100?? Really? I bought a set for a SBC 4 months ago and they were 650.00. If that’s what they are I’m surprised. I wouldn’t think they went up that much. If so I apologize. What do roller lifters cost now? Have you gotten a price on those? I don’t mean cheap ones from summit either. I can understand not wanting to wait so long. Let’s Go Brandon
I didn't price rollers because wasn't really thinking about cheating, etc, etc. Salesman name at Trend was JJ (something). He told me first of year they had a price increase. He also told me they had 7000 lifters back ordered. Got off the phone with him, called Howard. They do supply a Tool Steel lifter but they have been back ordered since Sept. Hell, I just want to race and give my money to NHRA for the fun I have racing their events.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:44 PM   #23
Casey Miles

Liked 445 Times in 83 Posts

It's all well and good if everyone in Stock run solid lifters, my problem with it is that my engine came with solids and was penalized with hp the day it rolled out of the showroom. Why is NHRA allowing solids and not penalizing those that are switching from hydraulic with to solids without a HP increase?

Casey Miles
248H Stock
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:51 PM   #24
SBillinson

Liked 167 Times in 47 Posts

Are there that many failures using a standard solid lifter in a stocker motor? The NASCAR guys used standard solid lifters for decades. I know the ramps are more aggressive in Stock these days, but a tool steel lifter for a .312" lobe? Are people turning stocker engines to 10K?

If it makes you feel any better, buy a set of crower lifters and send them off to be cryod for $100. Or buy a large diameter lifter and have the block machined for them if that's allowed.

Last edited by SBillinson; 01-05-2022 at 03:56 PM.
SBillinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-05-2022, 03:53 PM   #25
bubski

Liked 186 Times in 63 Posts

@#$%&*!@%$#@ Bubski just had to throw the switch on the 85b after reading how this crazy train rode off the rails and took the tracks with it !!! So lets see !! Were gonna get us sum roller lifters right ? We don't want just any old lifter right?? Hell no !! We want the best and we want more than the next guy !! We now want to enlarge our cam tunnel if it wasn't already because when we send the block to get machined for the keyway lifters might as well do both at the same time !! Were not gonna stop there either !! Our new cams especially on those closed chamber oval port head engines are probably gonna cause us some piston to valve clearance issues !! So we would now like to change the piston rule to accommodate our new found issue !! And another thing !! No keyway lifter player would be caught dead without a shaft rocker upgrade !! Cheers Bubski !!
bubski is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-05-2022, 03:59 PM   #26
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 940 Times in 259 Posts

Certainly waiting for parts, and prices increases is a real issue in our current "Covid" world, but the idea of changing the rules because some items are hard to get at the moment is ludicrous. Edelbrocks NHRA spec heads have been on back order for many engines for months, maybe we should allow ANY aftermarket head, simply because they are easier to find? Oh no, NHRA approved Quick Fuel and Edelbrock carbs are on backorder? No problem, Dominators for everybody ! Summit is out of stock on 9x30 slicks, but they have 14x32s on the rack, sure, why not! Where does it all end?
Liked
Old 01-05-2022, 04:16 PM   #27
Chris1529
VIP Member

Liked 57 Times in 27 Posts

Looks like Trend was one of the "Race Winning Brands" companies that was bought by a capital equity firm in November. That probably explains alot of the huge price increases.
Chris1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-05-2022, 04:40 PM   #28
john ancona

Liked 103 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hoven View Post
What advantage are you looking to get by letting all engines run solid roller lifters? How will this make things better? Tool steel lifters don't cost 2100.00 especially for a Chevrolet. Think people wont buy the best lightweight roller lifter money can buy? Have you ever seen a roller lifter explode? It's not pretty. How long should you run a set before its time to throw it in the garbage before it destroys your engine after failure? Leave the rules alone at this point.

BTW: We don't need another poll on here about rule changes.
I have to believe Terry when he says $ 2100.00 for the lifters ,I know about a year ago I paid $ 1800 .00 . You are trying to spin the conversation from a lifter that in needed because of the enhancements to some kind of advantage , you can't tell me that you and others will remove the enhancements you have already took advantage of , from what I can see on here you never complained about any of them witch I am sure you have on your car ,it seems to me that you have a self serving interest on here telling others what to do ,and you use the We as if you know what's best for you but say we to help booster your opinion ,you are only one of the over fifteen hundred stock racers in the country ,so from what I read on here when you make these statements like Leave the rules alone ,and we don't need another poll it is as if you want to tell others what to do ,just like you have in the past !
Old 01-05-2022, 05:40 PM   #29
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBillinson View Post
Are there that many failures using a standard solid lifter in a stocker motor? The NASCAR guys used standard solid lifters for decades. I know the ramps are more aggressive in Stock these days, but a tool steel lifter for a .312" lobe? Are people turning stocker engines to 10K?

If it makes you feel any better, buy a set of crower lifters and send them off to be cryod for $100. Or buy a large diameter lifter and have the block machined for them if that's allowed.
Can't run bigger dia lifters.
I've had 2 failures with lifters over about 8 years. Each time was well over $8000 to fix.
Been running Shubecks and it's getting hard to do anything else with my fingers crossed knowing it could happen, anytime. . Just allow rollers and if you don't wanna run them you can keep what ya have.
Not sure cryod will hold up. I know it didn't on one of my motors.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:43 PM   #30
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,741 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Cain View Post
What type of Hydraulic lifters?
I am running the full travel Johnson rollers that Chevrolet puts in the motors.

Quote:
Hell Daren. Your searching now for ways to slow it down to not get a hit.
Absolutely, I read Nitro Joe's Stats. If you look at almost every class, there are plenty of combinations that can out qualify my cars. Why wouldn't I try to protect my investment the same way that the 396/375's, etc. get protected?

The NHRA has me nervous right now. The possibility of someone interpreting what I might have run and penalizing me for it, goes against the spirit of class racing.

If I get myself dinged in a heads-up run or trying to qualify number one, so be it.