HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-17-2020, 07:06 PM   #1
Lee Jordan (3223) A/S

Liked 55 Times in 17 Posts
Default 307 Olds Stocker Motor

OK, my uncle, Jim Jordan and I are gonna run the Oldsmobile stocker again. I need some help with the motor and some other "upgrades" for the car. The car is Al Provosts old R/SA wagon. Its dressed in 1984 trim with a hydraulic 307, auto Turbo 350 trans and the car is made of lead best I can tell. lol

First off, I'm getting the heads done. Nothing tricky or on the edge but what is "allowed" as far as valve angles, springs, lifters, and rockers? I understand most things that were never allowed before either are legal or just not looked at. Like solid lifters in a hydraulic motor... Roller rockers, etc. Still uses the original fuel tank and has the stock interior.
Now I'm not asking for everyone's speed secrets but I want to be able to run under the index and at least make a good showing to get us started.

What about radiators and cooling? Can I run whatever radiator I want just so its the same size and design?

Any pointers are appreciated. This car hasn't made a pass in 15+ years. I am sure there are a ton of things I can do to get it competitive in R/SA.

Thanks for any and all opinions in advance.

Lee Jordan...
Old 03-17-2020, 07:25 PM   #2
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 654 Times in 254 Posts
Default Re: 307 Olds Stocker Motor

Still getting bugs worked out of mine. 88 hydraulic roller lifter motor. Using the 7A heads. I'm 4310 minimum and run 5.57 gears with metric 200 trans. Have been .34 under but want to be 14 flat or .85 under in U. If your lifters are large diameter you will have to make solid as nobody sells them. Cam is from Bullitt.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:51 PM   #3
rboyle

Liked 554 Times in 156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Jordan (3223) A/S View Post
OK, my uncle, Jim Jordan and I are gonna run the Oldsmobile stocker again. I need some help with the motor and some other "upgrades" for the car. The car is Al Provosts old R/SA wagon. Its dressed in 1984 trim with a hydraulic 307, auto Turbo 350 trans and the car is made of lead best I can tell. lol

First off, I'm getting the heads done. Nothing tricky or on the edge but what is "allowed" as far as valve angles, springs, lifters, and rockers? I understand most things that were never allowed before either are legal or just not looked at. Like solid lifters in a hydraulic motor... Roller rockers, etc. Still uses the original fuel tank and has the stock interior.
Now I'm not asking for everyone's speed secrets but I want to be able to run under the index and at least make a good showing to get us started.

What about radiators and cooling? Can I run whatever radiator I want just so its the same size and design?

Any pointers are appreciated. This car hasn't made a pass in 15+ years. I am sure there are a ton of things I can do to get it competitive in R/SA.

Thanks for any and all opinions in advance.

Lee Jordan...
As for radiator, yes any kind as long as it looks stock. Aluminum is fine, bigger is better most likely. Solid lifters are allowed in place of hydraulics, stock lift cam but any duration, springs Pac beehive style seem to be the most popular for most cars. Roller rockers are good too.
rboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:59 PM   #4
Lee Jordan (3223) A/S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Stout View Post
Still getting bugs worked out of mine. 88 hydraulic roller lifter motor. Using the 7A heads. I'm 4310 minimum and run 5.57 gears with metric 200 trans. Have been .34 under but want to be 14 flat or .85 under in U. If your lifters are large diameter you will have to make solid as nobody sells them. Cam is from Bullitt.
So I am running the 5A heads. With yours being an 88 model do you have to run the 7A's?
I do need to look at a new cam. I'm gonna run what I have for now till I see where its at. Heard good things about Bullit.
I got steeper gears than that but also I'm running the TH-350. need to do some upgrades to the rear. What kinda rockers, full rollers or just roller tips?
I dont know what diameter the lifters are. I'll know more when I get it all tore apart. Been working on brakes and all the drivability things. Car as been in storage for quite some time.

Last edited by Lee Jordan (3223) A/S; 03-17-2020 at 09:03 PM.
Lee Jordan (3223) A/S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:32 PM   #5
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

This is my first olds motor and I think I can run the 5a head, but told the 7a was better. Full roller rocker on pedestal with a rod that connects each pair. Found on Ebay. Mine is 138 hp motor and I think only made 2 years. It is 942 diameter roller lifters and 474 lift. I had 6.14 originally and 7k at the lights made me nervous. Now 6400 with 5.57 and lost zero et with 30 tire.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:23 AM   #6
Lee Jordan (3223) A/S

Thanks Jeff. My first Olds motor too. Its been so long that I have raced at a points meet or National event I don't know what they are looking at these
days. I certainly don't plan on getting tore down because I am too fast. No body does though right... But don't want to waste money and think I am on my way to some good ET's and get tossed.

Thanks for the comments. Any and all are appreciated.

Lee,
Old 03-18-2020, 09:52 AM   #7
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Ck your PM