HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 03-02-2020, 08:27 PM   #1
Paul Merolla

Liked 230 Times in 56 Posts
Default What's your favorite tire pressure gauge, and why?

I'm in the market for a new gauge this season. The one I've been using came from the Hoosier guy at a divisional a few years back. When checked against a few other gauges last fall, it was pretty far off. Soooo, what's the best?
Paul Merolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-02-2020, 10:52 PM   #2
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts
Default Re: What's your favorite tire pressure gauge, and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Merolla View Post
I'm in the market for a new gauge this season. The one I've been using came from the Hoosier guy at a divisional a few years back. When checked against a few other gauges last fall, it was pretty far off. Soooo, what's the best?
Get one you can recalibrate against a standard. I have older CSR ones. Then hold up well. I just checked them at the track Moroso display.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 761 Times in 225 Posts

Paul, I like this Intercomp. The illuminated face is a nice feature. It's accurate, repeatable, durable and made in the U.S.A.

https://www.intercompracing.com/4-ul...uge-p-196.html
Old 03-03-2020, 09:57 AM   #4
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

One of the best is the Moroso 89552 gauge which is 1/2 % accuracy.
Unfortunately ,it's not the easiest to use since you need to keep it protected in it's case and it must be held upright .
That said, I use it to check and calibrate the 89592 0-15 # gauge I normally use. I check it at every race .
Most common gauges are a 2 % accuracy type ,which means a typical Stocker with 20 # of tire pressure in the Radial slick can be off plus or minus nearly 1/2 # .
Digitals can be ok and they certainly will survive the abuse they see laying on the floor in many cars, most are still 2% accuracy ,they still should be checked regularly . ......One bad thing about digitals is that when left in the heat of the car or direct sunlite the LCD display can become un readable .
Old 03-03-2020, 10:00 AM   #5
curtis reed

Liked 88 Times in 49 Posts

I use a Longacre digital 0-60lb gauge. I recommend digital to people because you can check the front and back tire pressure with one gauge.

Here are many choices and different price ranges. Best would be a Buxton or Intercomp but they can run from $260-$360.

https://proshop.summitracing.com/sea...rder=Ascending
curtis reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:20 PM   #6
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

[QUOTE=curtis reed;609162]I use a Longacre digital 0-60lb gauge. I recommend digital to people because you can check the front and back tire pressure with one gauge.

Some years ago, Gary Stinnett helped me learn about the benefits of a 0-60 gauges, too. As Curtis says, it's really handy to be able to do all four tires, just by moving around the car. I actually don't care very much what the gauge reads, as long as it doesn't vary and I use the same gauge all the time. If the "real", tire pressure, verified by the Intergalactic Bureau of Weights and Measures master gauge is 20#, but my gauge reads 21#, who cares? Kinda like Density Altitude; if your computer says 2300 feet and mine says 2450, I just use 2450 as my baseline DA for the day and don't worry about it. There is no truly "right" value, there is only an accurate, consistent value provided by YOUR equipment.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #7
Paul Merolla

Liked 230 Times in 56 Posts

[QUOTE=nhramnl;609176]
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis reed View Post
I use a Longacre digital 0-60lb gauge. I recommend digital to people because you can check the front and back tire pressure with one gauge.

Some years ago, Gary Stinnett helped me learn about the benefits of a 0-60 gauges, too. As Curtis says, it's really handy to be able to do all four tires, just by moving around the car. I actually don't care very much what the gauge reads, as long as it doesn't vary and I use the same gauge all the time. If the "real", tire pressure, verified by the Intergalactic Bureau of Weights and Measures master gauge is 20#, but my gauge reads 21#, who cares? Kinda like Density Altitude; if your computer says 2300 feet and mine says 2450, I just use 2450 as my baseline DA for the day and don't worry about it. There is no truly "right" value, there is only an accurate, consistent value provided by YOUR equipment.
I agree completely on both counts...I bought the current one because the range is high enough to read the fronts, but the increments are too close together to be accurate to the 1/2 psi. The digital would solve that.
To your other point about being ok as long as you use the same gauge all the time, that's true except when that gauge is off by 2 psi or when that gauge gives inconsistent readings. (Which mine does)
Paul Merolla is offline   Reply With Quote