HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
Ross Family Racing

Liked 52 Times in 15 Posts
Default Racing a late model car in brackets

Just curious how many of you have raced the late model Camaros, Mustangs or Challengers in the sportsman categories. I'm talking about a car that is mostly as delivered from the factory. How consistent are they and what do you do to them to make them repeat. Do most of you run factory tires or sticky street radials.
I've got a '11 Challenger with a 5.7. I ran it at our local track that doesn't do much track prep and it was very inconsistent.
Just curious.
Jeff Ross
Ross Family Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
RobbieRacer

Liked 116 Times in 40 Posts
Default Re: Racing a late model car in brackets

We ran our 2011 Camaro SS a few times. It was all over the place. Way to hard to dial
RobbieRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:06 AM   #3
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,707 Times in 853 Posts

I've never seen a consistent one, always heard the car's ECM always trying to keep current with conditions was the culprit but somebody like Ed Wright would be able to perhaps pinpoint the (reasons) and remedy.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

My old daily driver was a 1995 Camaro Z-28 LT-1 automatic. Best run was 13.881 @ 99+ mph (never quite hit 100). Every so often the car would throw out a 'weird' run (slow or fast). Brent Darroch told me to shut the car off in the waterbox to re-set the computer or something. I did that, ran three races, got a win, runner-up (other guy had an .021 package) and a semifinal (had the guy a tenth on the tree but spun the tires and didn't get there by .008). Seemed to work fine, for consistency. Not sure if it would help the 'new' cars but might be worth trying.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
Ken MacNicol

Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

I always kept mine warm by leaving it running while in staging lanes. Keep it at thermostat temperature.
Ken MacNicol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

Since I've enjoyed racing many new stock product from the factory, what I find : #1 is to leave the car running throughout the event never shutting the car off, just open the hood when not running. #2 get good quality drag tires(BF Goodrich radials Drag DOT) and you're off to the races. My Oldsmobile front runner could repeat run after run but once you shut it of and let it cool the car would be more than a tenth off either way. #3 replenish fuel and check air psi in the tires.
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
FLEMING

Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts

There is a guy that races here local that had one of the companies that does custom ecm tunes make him a bracket tune that when the car goes to wide open throttle it locks all the parameters to the same thing each time, timing, convertor slippage, all the variables.. his car is pretty dang good, it will pick up about like a race car on gas.. and only change a few hun over a night.. His car is a 98 camaro I think
FLEMING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
Eric

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I run an 08 Charger in Street ET points. The car was very inconsistent until I took steps to stabilized AIT (air intake temp). The PCM (or ECM as other manufacturers call it) pulls timing as the AIT registers higher temps.

Under-hood heat soak into the intake tube was the principle culprit. Once i solved this issue by means of a headlight cold air intake tube through my high beam (there are other options), the consistency of my runs radically improved.

My car is not stock, however. And drag radials are a must. I found a set of Cobra R replicas that are 17x9. they fit over the SRT and R/T brakes. They work well and are very inexpensive.

Near OH, in Western PA is a tuner i work with called OSTDyno. He's great with the Hemi's... message me if you'd like more detail.

Race that baby... I took a Wally home last year in mine.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
brian schuetta

Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

Ran a 13' SS Camaro a few times last year bracket racing. Leave the staging lanes at operating temp and click off the traction control and go to " competitive mode " with the button in front of the auto shifter. Turn off the A/C for many reasons. Leaving the traction control on makes the car run all over. It also seemed that the more quarter mile runs it had the more consistent it got. The best newer cars I have bracket raced were a 2010 Impala 3.4L and my favorite a 2009 Impala 5.3. The 5.3 Imp was dead consistent and won races with it. Also was surprised at the top end on that thing.
brian schuetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
Eric

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's an impala club that races at the area tracks from Maryland to upstate NY and points in between. Those cars take a beating and some of them are pretty damn consistent street cars...
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote