HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > .90 Heads Up Class Associations > TNT Hot Rod Super Series
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Ted Barnes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Dave Surmatchewski marches through stout field for $1000 TNT Super Series victory

Record car count again for popular 10.90 sportsman series!

One week after setting an all-time series record for car count, the Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series set another new record - this time for cars at a Canadian event. Twenty-four racers set out to compete in the highly competitive sportsman series this past weekend at the Cayuga Dragway of Toronto Motorsports Park in Cayuga, Ontario.

After Saturday's racing got rained out, the $1000 event presented by The Second City Toronto was moved to Sunday. And when the dust settled, it was Dave Surmatchewski of Oakland, Ontario in the winner's circle. Also the winner of the very first Canadian TNT event back in 2006, this is Dave's second event win and fifth final round appearance in the highly competitive Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series.

Round one saw Dave set the tone for the day with a near perfect .001 reaction time and a 10.916 elapsed time to Macedon, New York's Gary Stowell who cut an .026 light and broke out running a 10.892 trying to catch him.

Then it was Brampton, Ontario's Fred Gross and his newly painted 1984 Camaro in the other lane. Almost even on the tree, Dave had a slight advantage (.020 to a .022) and held on for the win light by a margin of only .005 seconds running a 10.961 to Fred's 10.964.

Round three saw Dave draw veteran racer Bill Elekes of West Seneca, New York. Bill had the advantage at the tree but couldn't run the number cutting a .016 light and running a 10.935 to Dave's .023 and 10.912 package.

In the semi-finals, Dave defeated 2009 TNT Series Runner-Up Jamie Stoneman of Cheektowaga, New York with an .018 on the tree and 10.907 package to Jamie's uncharacteristically late .068 reaction and 10.904.

That set up the final with Chris VanBaalen of Wellandport, Ontario. In only his second TNT event, Chris defeated some tough competitors on his way to the final - Roy Lister, Pete Maduri and JJ Jablonski - and then ran a near perfect 10.901 in the semi-final bye run.

The final round saw them almost dead even off the line, but Chris had mechanical troubles and Dave was able to coast through the traps and take the win running an easy 11.03.

"I passed Chris at the 330' mark and knew something was wrong," said Dave. "He should have been ahead of me most of the way down. So I stayed in it until the 1000' and then lifted!"

"We had so much fun today. You know, I rolled five (.005) into the delay box for first round and then cut that .001 light. I can't believe how close that was to going red!"

"I want to thank my girls for their support. My wife Alyson and my daughters, Marissa and Maddy, for being there. I can't tell you what it means to me to have them close."

Dave was also quick to thank Joe's Transmission for making the series possible and Second City Toronto for presenting the event. "I have to thank Alex at Insta-Insulation and Danny at Douglas Engines in Brantford, Ontario for all their support. They are a huge help."

Dave's 1983 Cutlass is powered by a 377 small block Chevrolet. A powerglide transmission helps get the 3370 lb machine through the quarter mile. Racing since 1996 with this car, Dave switched to Hot Rod when the TNT series began. He built the Cutlass from the ground up including the engine and transmission, the chassis and the paint job - all done in Dave's home shop.

Specialty Awards - May 23

Hoosier Tire Canada $50 certificate - Number One Qualifier
Jim Flanigan (Holland, NY) with a 10.901

J&S Collision $50 - Closest to the Index (1st Round Loser)
Jim Flanigan (Holland, NY) with a 10.907

Cayuga Dragway FREE PASS - Best Reaction Time (1st Round Loser)
Roy Lister (Welland, Ontario) with a .004

The rained out event from Saturday may be re-scheduled later in the season. Check www.tntsuperseries.com for the latest news.

The Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series next stop is a double-header "New York" weekend - Friday June 4th at Dunn Tire Raceway Park in Lancaster, NY and Saturday June 5th at Empire Dragway in Leicester, NY. See www.tntsuperseries.com for full details.