HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > .90 Heads Up Class Associations > TNT Hot Rod Super Series
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-27-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
Ted Barnes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Top five in 2009 - Gary Kerl - Third Place

Consistency was key to Kerl family's success in 2009

Gary Kerl's 1968 Camaro saw victory on the drag strip many times in 2009 - with the Williamsville, NY driver at the wheel in the Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series and also with his son Jeff driving it in the local track's Mod ET class. "The car was awesome all year," said Gary. "I mean, this thing really worked well when we needed it to."

Gary has finished in the top ten in TNT points for three years now - ever since the series began. And in this sportsman series, that is no easy task. In 2009, he scored a number one qualifier and made it to the winner's circle twice - including the season opener at Dunn Tire Raceway Park (DTRP) and Labor Day weekend at Cayuga Dragway. Combine that with multiple quarter-final finishes and Gary earned himself a third place finish in the 2009 Joe’s Transmission TNT Super Series.

With a drag racing career that spans some 40 years, Gary considers 2009 his most successful yet. "This season has been the highlight of my racing career. With my son Jeff winning first place in the Mod ET class at DTRP and me finishing third in TNT, it just couldn't get any better!" In fact, at the TNT season finale Gary almost took over second place in the points. He was marching through the field when a carburetor fire on the starting line ended his day in the semi-final round.

The first generation Camaro SS is powered by a Scott Shafiroff 434 cid small block Chevrolet making 600 hp. A 4700rpm stall torque converter and Hoosier radial tires help to consistently get the power to the ground.

Gary has lots of help and support from his family including his wife Carolyn, sons Jeff and Greg, his brother Dennis and his newest crew member, grandson Connor. "I want to thank Joe's Transmission for sponsoring our series and of course, Greg Kerl Automotive and Casey's Tavern for supporting me and Jeff on the track."

The Kerl family's plans for 2010 include another run at the TNT championship and plenty of local bracket racing.

The TNT schedule for 2010 is already taking shape with 12 events planned similar to 2009. Stay tuned to www.tntsuperseries.com for the latest in series news and information.

About the TNT Super Series:

The Joe’s Transmission TNT Super Series www.tntsuperseries.com began in 2006 and is entering its fourth full season in 2010. Based on NHRA’s Super Street & IHRA’s Hot Rod classes, the twelve event series runs on a 10.90 index in the 1/4 mile (7.00 in the 1/8 mile), guarantees a MINIMUM of $500 for an event win and pays round money for EVERY round win. Competing at facilities in southern Ontario and western New York, there are only two exceptions to the rulebook - no weight minimum and left-hand drive open-bodied cars are allowed.