HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 11-13-2021, 03:53 PM   #1
reknapp52

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default How Much Info Is Needed

Until recently I have used a hand held weather station, and paper graphs to make TS predictions. I'm retired now and want to step up my game if I can. For those of you who have onboard computers, what info do you track that you feel is most necessary for consistent tuning?
reknapp52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:15 PM   #2
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts
Default Re: How Much Info Is Needed

With a data recorder you need to look at what is necessary for performance and what is nice to have for peace of mind .
Voltage, tach and G-meters are standard with the RacePak Sportsman .
Oil pressure ,water temp fall into the peace of mind category, nice to have but not a tuning aid .
Fuel pressure and Vacuum fall somewhere in between , both can show performance related symptoms .
A 8 magnet driveshaft collar & pickup is in the necessary category to determine tire slippage on the line and down track.
O2 sensors are invaluable in determining tuning changes due to weather and for confirming results from changes . ... at least one channel is necessary ,preferably two.
EGT is nice to have as well if you're on alcohol .
Old 11-13-2021, 08:02 PM   #3
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,635 Times in 517 Posts

All you need is Matty box, mine works great!
Keith 944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 10:07 AM   #4
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 179 Times in 77 Posts

Many people, like myself, have installed a RacePak Sportsman onboard data recorder, AND, use the Crew Chief Pro weather station and software.. I think this may have actually answered your question..

Tom has hit on the important sensors, and which ones assist in tuning, and thus, consistency..

NOTE: it is a weeeeeee bit different from a hand-held, but definitely worth it..
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-16-2021, 03:41 PM   #5
reknapp52

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks guys--

Charlie, I did purchase a Computech weather station at the beginning of this season, but have experienced some difficulties with it and will be sending it back to see if they can straighten it out. Biggest issue I had was it would show a 294 degree wind direction and therefore a non-existent tailwind when wind was actually a 270 degree direct crosswind. I set it up with a fan in the garage and the 90, 180, and 0 degree info seemed to be acceptable. So, been reverting to the old Tag that I've been carrying for the past 17 years.
reknapp52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:42 PM   #6
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,635 Times in 517 Posts

What the others have said here is very good info. And of course I was kidding around.
But now I do have to add some insight on your wind issues. Forget about using it!
You probably don’t get the reading from the racing surface anyway. A basic average speed and direction are what you need but only at the track surface itself. Go stand at the 1000 ft and look for a flag or wind sock. Personally I have a good idea in the lanes
Then make my final adjustments after watching my own burnout smoke. Hope this helps, I really don’t like giving away hard learned tips
Keith 944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked