HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-19-2022, 08:18 PM   #1
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,071 Times in 765 Posts
Default Sharing

When I read a post of the loss of someone in the Class Racing community and there have been too many in past few years, months and weeks I think of this quote by the Dalai Lama;

“Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.”

Many of us here are Baby Boomers and are in high gear on the drag strip of life, if you know what I mean.

Last edited by Frank Castros; 01-19-2022 at 08:36 PM.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:08 PM   #2
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts
Default Re: Sharing

I agree wholeheartedly, Frank.
Most of us come on here to learn and to teach.
We don't write books, for the most part, so I believe in passing it on some way.

( See Musical Post i n The Lounge)

Last edited by Mark Yacavone; 01-19-2022 at 09:19 PM.
Mark Yacavone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:54 AM   #3
Curt Rees

Liked 226 Times in 47 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Sharing

I have read some of the posts (complaints) and just shake me head. At 76, I just want to run my car as much as time allows, no pun intended.

AHFS doesn't bother me. The car is going to make a full pass every time. What ET it runs, it runs.

Frank is correct, we are in high gear with just a few feet to go. Better enjoy it while you can!

Curt Rees
Old 01-21-2022, 11:43 AM   #4
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,225 Times in 594 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Sharing

Sharing is very important in our lives. Whether it is knowledge or just friendship, do your best to help as much as you can. I have the privilege of hanging with my friends at the track and giving moral support. This makes being at the track fun for me and my friends. As I stated in another thread - - When the time comes for my funeral, I pray that my friends say I was a good friend. Not for who I was, but how I treated them.

I am 72 - dad made it to 87 and mom made it to 88 - so you do the math. Yes my time is short, so I better have as much fun as possible. Thank God for decent health, so far.

Last edited by Carguy49; 01-21-2022 at 11:48 AM.
Carguy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:14 PM   #5
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

I’m not old but I’ve been off puppy chow for a long time. I’m hoping I’ve got 30 or 40 to go. If I live as long as my dad and grandpa. Maybe more. I owe so many people on this website a beer (some a steak dinner). That I’m afraid to list them all for fear I’ll forget somebody. I don’t have a lot of knowledge to give. But when I can help someone I will. I appreciate every single one of you guys that has helped me and answered my stupid questions. They key (in my opinion) to getting help is don't be a D.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:19 PM   #6
BILL TAYLOR

Liked 186 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castros View Post
When I read a post of the loss of someone in the Class Racing community and there have been too many in past few years, months and weeks I think of this quote by the Dalai Lama;

“Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.”

Many of us here are Baby Boomers and are in high gear on the drag strip of life, if you know what I mean.
I asked a friend and racer who is actually older than me how he was doing and he said "Well, I'm somewhere between the 1000' and the finish line". That about sums it up for us Boomers! Bill Taylor B/S 1005.
BILL TAYLOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:37 PM   #7
Doug Hoven

Liked 750 Times in 146 Posts

While I may be the one of the youngest members here on class racer as well as being part of the very small percentage of "kids" that are interested in drag racing let alone stock eliminator, it is nice to be able to read the years of experience and knowledge everyone on this forum has to offer. For what it's worth, what really dragged me deeper into the whole class racing thing was being Billy Nees' personal tuner and part time driver for the "Not For Nothin'" project, and the car I drove all last season came out of the back catalog of his collection. There is however something to be said for learning things for yourself. I am currently in the process of building my first "stocker" engine and am trying things in this build that Billy told me would never work, but to me it's worth the effort to try certain things anyway. In the end, I am going to learn something whether something works or doesn't work, and that is what is most important to me. (sorry for the long post)
Old 01-22-2022, 12:18 AM   #8
Kyle Kohr

Liked 63 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hoven View Post
While I may be the one of the youngest members here on class racer as well as being part of the very small percentage of "kids" that are interested in drag racing let alone stock eliminator, it is nice to be able to read the years of experience and knowledge everyone on this forum has to offer. For what it's worth, what really dragged me deeper into the whole class racing thing was being Billy Nees' personal tuner and part time driver for the "Not For Nothin'" project, and the car I drove all last season came out of the back catalog of his collection. There is however something to be said for learning things for yourself. I am currently in the process of building my first "stocker" engine and am trying things in this build that Billy told me would never work, but to me it's worth the effort to try certain things anyway. In the end, I am going to learn something whether something works or doesn't work, and that is what is most important to me. (sorry for the long post)
Well said! Being 26 I feel lucky to have this resource (classracer.com) to learn and try to figure things out for myself from ideas from people that have been doing this for longer than we’ve been alive. There’s no way my car would be near as good as it is without the help from people that have been doing this long before me and i know I still have a lot to learn.
Kyle Kohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:50 AM   #9
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,422 Times in 1,951 Posts

“There’s no way my car would be near as good as it is without the help from people that have been doing this long before me and i know I still have a lot to learn.”

Well stated.

My favorite thing is when speaking with another racer or builder and the “Light” turns on. After the conversation, I ask myself why did it take so long to get pointed in the right direction. “And so it goes “
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:15 PM   #10
west coast

Liked 118 Times in 48 Posts

I truely believe in sharing to help keep this sport alive. When I first started in stock by no means was I a rookie in racing but was to the class. I by know means now am an expert at anything. One thing that I have learned about learning more about racing is listen, you will soon find out alot, and when to ask questions. A lot of it is timing, being in the right place and asking questions at the right time. I am surprised at some of the things that I have picked up in a conversation that know body else picked up in the groups that were talking. I share in groupd like this some times just to see who is paying attention and come ask me question afterwords. I know quite a few people that are not open to sharing knowledge that is ok, you will learn who these are sometime it takes years with some people. I have learn a lot from so many people over the years. One thing I learned very early was there is no way I could out send them but I could out work them. Excect Stevie Wann, he is the hardest working guy I have ever met in drag racing.

Best advise when you get lost go back to the basics.