HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #21
XSTOCKER

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: We're Evolving!

Embrace the changes or move on. I predict a new "Pro - Stock" is on the horizon as soon as there is enough cars to fill the field. My 2cents.
Mike Szczepanski
XSTOCKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #22
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,784 Times in 1,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simpson View Post
I believe that the ultimate goal is to have a 1-2 day race with a limited field. I see only 16-32 cars that are on a invitaion list. You qualify for the list based on how you do at the divisionals etc. A large entry fee, with a so-so payout.

Yes I believe that SS will eventually be turned into a ci/pd description with a spec carb. For example your car came with a 283 so you fit into a ci/pd that fits your weight break. You can have any heads and a spec carb. Then teck would have nothing to do but pump it and check the carb/weight/gas and they are done.

Yes I believe that Stock will gradually turn into a 9" Super Stock class. Roller rockers everyone allowed solid roller cams with the stock lift. We do not know what they have in store. But, I have been around this for years and if there are several different ways that NHRA can go on a decision, there decision will typically be the least logical one and one that usually costs the most.

When a rule is changed to "enhance" it opens up other doors that effect other things. If the rule on the lifters would have been lets say 120pds seat pressure checked on the car for all cars then you would not have the lifters, cams and valve train expense we have and the power that comes with it, then the extra HP we earn on our combo.....NHRA wants us and needs us to fill in some and to receive our money. There is no one in the high ups of NHRA who is/was a racer so they have no idea what it takes to race.

I love to race and the challenge of making my combo better. I have only raced at Divisionals and other meets and not Nationals. I can not easily get 5 days off to race a event or leave on a Wed just to get a parking spot at a divisional and more that 1 time run.

If NHRA would let there Divisional tech directors make there decisions and stand by them while having every division communicate with the other divisions it would help alot. If NHRA would just be consistent with there rules that would help alone.

I believe that the sportsman classes could be marketed in such a way that it would be very inviting to companies of all kinds. Thus helping NHRA and in turn help the racers.

Sorry Billy I got a little off subject...............
I'm afraid to say I'm think along the same lines.

Mark, I wasn't bringing into the equation National politics! Throw that in and we may not last 5 years!

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:34 AM   #23

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Six months ago, I heard a rumor at the Sonoma National. I posted on this forum what I had heard and was laughed at and told never to repeat those types on rumors without real proof.
I think I will try this again........................."NHRA is strongly considering a S/SS combo with a qualified field of xxx amount". That really does not sound to far out of line based on the latest changes from Glendora.
7423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #24
Jason

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Maybe there is something else the sanctioning bodies are looking at when it comes to class racing. The real Stock/SS tech guys are all getting older, as in old enough to start retiring from tech. Like the country music song goes...

"Who's gonna fill their shoes?"
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #25
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,035 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Maybe there is something else the sanctioning bodies are looking at when it comes to class racing. The real Stock/SS tech guys are all getting older, as in old enough to start retiring from tech. Like the country music song goes...

"Who's gonna fill their shoes?"
If they retire, most of them won't do it because of age............................................... ..
Old 01-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #26
Jack McCarthy
VIP Member

Liked 352 Times in 92 Posts

dinosaurs probably thought they were evolving too...then ooops ice age = extinct

billy i cant see where its going, were flying too fast with no-one at the controls who knows how to steer this rocketship...to see the future from where im sitting (in a 60 chevy wagon)

i can see where im going... i see a future of rod runs, and beer drinking events, some nostaglia races ( i really liked the goodguys shows) for my "prostock 60 chevy wagon"

i could not have imagined running 13.60's with this thing in 1980 when i built it for $2500, the index was 14.67 (T/SA) and we were a stought combo at 14.80...i shifted it at 5400 (with the new 1960 car with spring dampners), and carried 3-4 10 bolt posi's & axles in my truck.

now ive got bulletproof 12 bolt, spool & axles & other stuff, shift at 7000 (damn carb still cuts her off) have unlimited valve springs & duration, hockey pucks on my lifters, im .070 over forged, i got trick pulleys & pumps, brakes that weigh ounces, enhanced cast iron, fuel cell and SHAAZAAM my index is now 14.85 and guess what me and everyone else can go -1.00... i think it all happened while i wasnt paying attention ???

anyway i would only miss my friends ive made in 30+ years of racing if i quit.. and id miss the cajunsportsnationals the only race ive had real fun at in years... i dont think id miss NHRA one bit... and if they still run combos around my parts (plenty nowadays) i can still get out and play with my toy every now and then.

im freshening up my stuff for the last go around and i promised myself i wont build another NHRA stocker motor.

that is where i see the future... maybe evan and charlie bob see it different, theyre kids.

jack mccarthy
Old 01-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #27
W J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSTOCKER View Post
Embrace the changes or move on. I predict a new "Pro - Stock" is on the horizon as soon as there is enough cars to fill the field. My 2cents.
Mike Szczepanski
Mike, are you talking e.f.i. Pro-Stockers? WJ
W J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #28
XSTOCKER

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W J View Post
Mike, are you talking e.f.i. Pro-Stockers? WJ
Nope. I think as the new models start to pour in with all their celebrity drivers, NHRA may see the need to showcase them and all the other stockers will have less interest to them. I know that I no longer own a stocker and should stay out of the conversation, but a part of me really misses what Stock could have been as to compared to where it's going. The loss of the Sportsman Advisory Committee was enough proof to me that NHRA doesn't care.

Last edited by XSTOCKER; 01-09-2010 at 09:15 AM.
XSTOCKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #29
Blingmaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Billy: You know I have been around awhile and cannot believe what has happened to this sport. The biggest rush was having a national record holder car. Now it is running 1.40 under and maybe never pulling a head.With current economic challenges I believe you are going to evovle into S/SS combo races where there is no heads up confrontation dial under your index or go home. The fans are filling the stands for going Pink they have no idea if the car is turbo , nitrous . It looks like there family driver to them and it is fast.
Take a look at the pits at the next national event and realize that the tow rigs alone could finance a third world country and you think NHRA is going to reduce entry fees or increase payouts. I can see that when designing your next stocker make it fast enough to run pro at your local track. We have a class here at our 1/8 track 7.50 pro tree $50. entry $800. to win every week. DD
Blingmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #30
Casper68

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

lots of good points on here....I'm bringing my Stock entry back out because I love the class, always have. It's slow, but I love to compete and have fun trying to go fast with it. That being said, I have no idea where the class may be headed....and that fact, along with the various ideas on this thread, seem to indicate that no clear direction exists. NHRA has a huge need for improvement in their marketing of the sport....(example - NASCAR)...for them to take that step, I'm not sure where the Stock class will end up. I can see an 'invitation only' program coming....
Casper68 is offline   Reply With Quote