HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 01-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts
Default We're Evolving!

Heck, just last night I grew a third arm out of my chest and my wheezie fell off! Now I should be able to get half again as much work done on my car and not have to spend nearly as much money on other things!
But seriously, Evan Smith posted an excellent reply on another thread about how Stock has been "evolving" through the years and the subject seems worth (to me) discussing.
It is obvious that NHRA has (through want or need) been scaleing back it's Tech Dept. and it's policing and interpretation of it's rules has become less and less soooooo what will Stock Eliminator eventually "evolve" into?
Please, no arguing and no personal agendas just your own personal thoughts on where we're headed.
I honestly do believe that we will wind up being a "9"tire, flat hood" catagory given all of the cutbacks in tech and the way the rules have become "liberalized" over the last 30 years. Kind of a "Make it look Stock and put a crate motor in it" Bracket eliminator. Or we will wind up being an eliminator with maybe a dozen approved combos (dare I say "crate motors?) that NHRA can police.
Just my thoughts and opinions. Put on your thinking caps boys!
Also, there are some very smart people on this forum and it seems to me that the same half a dozen people are the only ones posting. Now does that mean the others don't care, aren't as smart as I give them credit for being or are too smart to be posting on this forum?!?

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,726 Times in 418 Posts
Default Re: We're Evolving!

One good move that the NHRA has made in the new rule book is the runner C. C. rule for stock. It at least gives a little hope that it won't go over to crate motors.
GUMP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Paul Merolla

Liked 230 Times in 56 Posts

Billy, first off I'll say thank you for all your recent posts - it's putting some life back in this board...along with Evan's excellent replies. Even though I have yet to hit the track in Stock (this year, God willing) I have some thoughts on this topic of evolution. I consider myself to be part of the "we need more tech" crowd; I'm curious as to the mindset of the current crop of class racers... i.e. what percent want more tech, less tech, etc. My hunch is that most racers would be in favor of more stringent enforcement of our rules, and even-handed application of them across the board. That being said, we all know NHRA doesn't appear to be heading in that direction - whether it's a financial reason or otherwise. So - what could those of us that care about these classes do to further our agenda as far as tech goes? All we usually hear is, "These classes are dead, NHRA is killing us off, I quit, etc." Well, the way I see it is, if enough people are dedicated to this sickness, then we should be able to do something to preserve it and not just let everything "happen" to us. How bout some positive ideas...whether it involves NHRA or not. I know organizing racers is like herding cats, but throwing your hands up is chicken dookie if you ask me. I'll start....what if we really got behind AHRA? I know there are a thousand negatives, but it's essentially a clean slate - racer friendly, same rules as NHRA, not run by bean counting A-holes. Let 'er rip! Flame ON!
Paul Merolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Bobby Zlatkin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One thing you can bet on, even if it would get down to only two approved combo's, there will still be people complaining that the guys with the "other combo" will have a soft HP rating and will have an unfair advantage.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Cool Re: We're Evolving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Merolla View Post
Billy, first off I'll say thank you for all your recent posts - it's putting some life back in this board...along with Evan's excellent replies. Even though I have yet to hit the track in Stock (this year, God willing) I have some thoughts on this topic of evolution. I consider myself to be part of the "we need more tech" crowd; I'm curious as to the mindset of the current crop of class racers... i.e. what percent want more tech, less tech, etc. My hunch is that most racers would be in favor of more stringent enforcement of our rules, and even-handed application of them across the board. That being said, we all know NHRA doesn't appear to be heading in that direction - whether it's a financial reason or otherwise. So - what could those of us that care about these classes do to further our agenda as far as tech goes? All we usually hear is, "These classes are dead, NHRA is killing us off, I quit, etc." Well, the way I see it is, if enough people are dedicated to this sickness, then we should be able to do something to preserve it and not just let everything "happen" to us. How bout some positive ideas...whether it involves NHRA or not. I know organizing racers is like herding cats, but throwing your hands up is chicken dookie if you ask me. I'll start....what if we really got behind AHRA? I know there are a thousand negatives, but it's essentially a clean slate - racer friendly, same rules as NHRA, not run by bean counting A-holes. Let 'er rip! Flame ON!
Problem is....unless it has to do with NHRA most on here dont give a rats butt. You know as well as I do the purse could be a $1,000,000 and there are guys who wouldnt run anything else but NHRA if it was in their back yard because of their ego's.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
Paul Merolla

Liked 230 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
Problem is....unless it has to do with NHRA most on here dont give a rats butt. You know as well as I do the purse could be a $1,000,000 and there are guys who wouldnt run anything else but NHRA if it was in their back yard because of their ego's.
OK, so how can we force a change in NHRA? NOTE: The question is NOT, "Why will NHRA never change?"
Paul Merolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Bobby Zlatkin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

About two years ago when there was talk of a 'for profit' corporation buying the professional side of the NHRA only and not the sportsman side, it seemed to everyone that would be a terrible thing. In retrospect, it probably would have been a good thing.

Let's face it, the only thing the professional and the sportsman drag racers have in common is the venue. The race track. Other than that, our interests are different. We' re not doing this for a living (well, the most of us), We're doing it for fun.

Maybe if the two had been seperated, and the sportsman side remained 'not for profit', still belonging to it's members, we could control our own destiny.

That's why I believe sports national events are much more fun for a sportsman racer than national events where we suck hind teat.

We could still have Indy as the premier event. Just a different weekend.

I never could understand how our organization got sold out from under us. Instead of the organization being our adversary, it should represent the wants of the majority.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #8
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Guys! Come on, we've only had 6 replies and we're already O/T to NHRA sucks and his d**k is bigger than mine!
I think that topics like this can be important! Did I say that? Woah!
Come on Terry? Where are we going ? Let's hear some real opinions about where our sport might be heading in the future. Come on, you smart guys out there! Don't make me call you out!
BTW, if you can measure your d**k by the horsepower you're making, I've got the smallest d**k out there so don't be shy.
(no offense to anyone named D**k!)

Make tech "TECH" again!

Last edited by Billy Nees; 01-06-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
gmonde

Liked 166 Times in 59 Posts

from my side of the fence ,there is going to be a time where it will become just a flat hood 9" tire class,,the ecoonmy in the state thats its in,people loosing jobs on a daily basis ,people will have to scale back and racing is luxury for most of us and the car counts will be down ,pay outs will be lower than they already are,nhra will have no choice but to consolidate classes ,they guys running divisionals can run fast as they want ,i havent seen tear downs at divisionals(to much going on),there enough of us out there stock/super stock guys to have our own events (we do with associations but not nhra) but in todays world that will never happen,but i cant see it going a way completely ,i walk around the pits and see some of the innovation,dedication,compasion that is put to each car to get as much out of it as possible its just amazing ,,,is nhra bad ,i dont think so ,its just like any thing else in life when thing are rolling along and demand is up you build up to meet demand,now its more bussiness than doing whats best for the racers,,, a major shake up good or bad would be good ,this way the decision is clear gmonde
gmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #10
Dave Turner
VIP Member

Liked 331 Times in 131 Posts
Wink Re: We're Evolving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Also, there are some very smart people on this forum and it seems to me that the same half a dozen people are the only ones posting. Now does that mean the others don't care, aren't as smart as I give them credit for being or are too smart to be posting on this forum?!?
I think the really smart folks sit back and watch all the thrashing about for their own amusement......or they're working on their stuff?
Dave Turner #3110
D & E/SA ‘72 Mustang
Dave Turner is offline   Reply With Quote