HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
dahkahuna

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default old Jr. Stock racers

Ok, going back to my roots and first love of drag racing,memories of late nights scraping underc oat off Hedworths '55' wagon, polishing grills, "bench racing" with Hedworth, Paul Dilcher, Gene Berg, Gary rouse,working at Rossi transmissions and the Cast iron Powerglide we tested in my '57' 4door belair' that led to the Powerglide wars between Tony Rossi and Marv Ripes in the early seventies.Visiting the Barn at Pomona, during tear down of all the class champs (not 6 or 8 cars) loaning spark plug washers to John Hagen and his beautiful Hemi SS/AA,visiting the other barn at Tony Janes house "wow so many cars and parts"watching Bill 'Farmer Dismuke rule tear down with no gray areas in his tech. Installing the first t-400 in Jay Payne and Mike Walkers SS/D making friendships for years. learning to braket race my '57' chevy belair at old Irwindale dragstrip,against jerry McClanahan, John Farris, Willard'sleepy' Wright,Dave Kempton, Pat Foley,and the Zolle Bros. Paul Althouse installing 4.56 gears in my first '69' Camaro and hearing the stories about when the "GRUMP" would visit to share some knowledge. Its been very special to have known and respected all these racers, and taught many lessons if you would just listen by them. My personal mentor were Tony Rossi, and then Vic Hobbs a past Winternational champion,and Multi race winner in AHRA, Alway there to help a Racer in need Vic has helped many racers over the years and like myself mentored me and others to be sucessful.My personal sucesses though very small weren't from lack of knowledge but more from lack of money. A"55" 2dr Belair Htp. is calling my name so with a little help in locating a Intake manifold #3711348, and carb WCFB#2218s or 2351sor legal replacement maybe I can resurrect my roots in Jr. Stock and race a 55 chevy. PS Tony Janes any help finding these parts?
dahkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: old Jr. Stock racers

Very cool post. Those were the best of days for drag racing.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts
Cool Re: old Jr. Stock racers

All I can say is,"How cool!"
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
dahkahuna

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: old Jr. Stock racers

hey Greg keep your eyes open for those parts. Thanks Doug
Old 08-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

dahkahuna, great story, and post some pic's or updates on your build.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Tony Janes

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I may have some parts, WCFB have to look. I hope there is A after the P.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts
Cool Re: old Jr. Stock racers

I might have a carb.Years ago, I had a 65 Chevy, 327 with a 3 speed stick.It had a WCFB.I think I sstill have it upstairs in the garage. It would take some digging .If the engine spec page shows that that one would work, give me a call. E bay might be the place to find the intake. Can you use a #459?
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
Grant Eldridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very cool post, thanks for sharing! It brings back lots of great memories for me, we had some friends in common it seems so long ago. I had made the flat tow down from Canada to race at the Winternationals in 1970, I was just 24 and it was magic to come over the fabled grapevine hill and down into LA. We somehow met Ron Zoelle and his family, and hung out with them at Irwindale, Orange County, and of course at Pomona. They helped us out with meeting Tony Rossi, Val Hedworth, Richard Salcido, Pepe Estrada, Gene Oly and others of the day I'm struggling now to recall.
We won class in A/S that year and got as far as the quarter finals before a pushrod broke through a rocker as we tried to chase down Keith Berg, who had a six second head start in that lumbering '52? Olds! After three more trips to Pomona, and lots of fun with and help from those guys on our trips down, we hung it up for over 25 years finally returning to drag racing in the last ten years.
If anybody reading this knows how to contact Ron Zoelle, I'd love to give him a call and bs about the "good old days". If you could PM me, or post contact info here it would be great to get back in touch. Hope hes still around. My last contact with Ron was at his parents place at 525 S. Citrus in West Covina. Be great to talk to his brothers Ken or Larry too. If you would prefer to give him my number, it's 604-644-8485, or email grant4060@yahoo.com. Thanks!

P.S. If anyone has a copy of the National Dragster with the Winternationals results from 1970, I'd sure appreciate getting my hands on one. We were just kids, never thought we'd get old and want to look back at this stuff...lol I do still have the Wally, though, what a rush for a kid from Canada!
Grant Eldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #9
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Grant,
Are you trying to ruin your reputation by saying you hung around with the Zoelle Bros.?
Surprised you didn't mention Big Daddy Crader.
You better edit that post! LOL
Old 08-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #10
dahkahuna

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Well, I checked out as much as what the specs NHRA prints and a #2366S 1956 carb also fit the throttle and venturi dimensions and as far as i know there is no other manifold NHRA will accept. If anyone knows anything differint please post on this thread. I know there is girl named Shelby driving a P/SA recently so maybe they know of something?As for Grant Eldridge, Ron still lives in West Covina in the same house, I used to work weekends for Val and Ron at the old SPEED TRENDS speed shop when they were racing, Zenon Kotelko was like a fixture every year during those times, Ron has traded racing for a stable of children but I don't have a recent phone #. Pepe Estrada built the rear in my '57 ' back then also. Dave Crader was doing General contracting around those days and me being a flooring contractor we did alot of bussiness together he eventually went to work for IN-AND-OUT Burger building new stores and after Val was around their Fuuny Car operation alot then we lost contact. And Tony let me know if you find some parts, the "55" runs O/ P/&Q/ and its automatic what trans I will run. See if you have any old General Kinetics collecting dust over there if I recall the #2 grind was the best although the legal lift is 336/343 with solid tappet lifters.