HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs down Nostalgia stock ?

I thought Id start some more "poop" and come up with a new thread. Maybe its time for stockers (and S/S cars) to be broken down into 2 different catagories. With most GOOD stockes being around 40+ years old and with the influx of these high dollar "Package" so called stockers maybe there should be a Nostalgia stock (and S/S) eliminator and a NEW car stock (?) eliminator. Without the HP factors being more correctly aligned just about evey class from AA to around J or K is going to be trashed when these new engine combos hit the tracks. A lot of these new guys coming into stock dont even understand what the rules are for stock (and the old guys also) because the rules have NOT been enforced and have been allowed to get carried away for years. I used to be impressed when someone set a record or went really fast 25 or 30 years ago now it just means that they spent BIG $$$$ and have gotten away with bogus parts/tricks that are blessed by tech officials who either dont care, dont know, or are buddies with the racer. The NHRA we used to know is extinect like the muscle cars we used to know and love. I dont call the new ways and cars progress.....Its just a dumbing down of what it used to be. Flames and comments are welcome.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 01-09-2010 at 12:33 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
MYRONARL1119

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Nostalgia stock ?

Terry, From my experience I think that you are exactly right. Can you say "exhibition stock" or Factory experimental stock. That leaves "stock and Super Stock" as it has been and as was originally intended?
MYRONARL1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
Dale Shannon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Terry I think your wrong, if things don't change with time they will die. Do you really think Stock would be better if they were still running a 428 mustang 396 camaro on a 7 in. tire going in the 11's? I always thought NHRA was pretty tight on my *** and most in tech and tear down. Most look at how bad racing has become, what has gone down hill most racing or the country.Remember things will never be perfect but sometimes we need to look at what is good and not alway the bad.
Just my 2 cents
Dale Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
Paul Precht

Liked 224 Times in 89 Posts

I used to be impressed when someone set a record or went really fast 25 or 30 years ago now it just means that they spent BIG $$$$ and have gotten away with bogus parts/tricks that are blessed by tech officials who either dont care, dont know, or are buddies with the racer. This is the scary part
Paul Precht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Part of the big money spending is thanks to manufacturers who are working to earn money by providing "edge" products that help. The NHRA laxity on holding the line on tech changes opens the door for this problem. Many want to go the fastest and win the classes and push the envelop because they know it keeps changing. Cars that were leading edge 4 years ago are .2 slow now based on new tech allowed parts or combinations.
My GT/AA Big Block done with all the accepted legal parts and Hp ratings in the class is now between .6 and .7 slower than the class record holder. It won class and was on average same as any similar in the country.
Evolution? no I think lack of firm rules...with eye to keeping eveyone coming to race and paying entry and buying new parts ....
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Nostalgia stock ?

I thougt rules were made to be broken not changed. Break the rules you get punished(not change the rule).Gone toooooo far now to back -up. Gonna have to live with it or quit.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

Rules creep has always been a factor in class racing. Remember 1973 when NHRA made a big change in stock classes, no slicks, iron exhaust manifolds, etc. because stockers had crept toward SS "territory"? It took a couple years back then to stabilize on headers and 9" slicks, but by now stock is nearly what super stock was in the 1970s, and SS is close to Modified Production..
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run to Rund View Post
Rules creep has always been a factor in class racing. Remember 1973 when NHRA made a big change in stock classes, no slicks, iron exhaust manifolds, etc.
It was 1972 that the Jr. stock 7 inch tire days died and all stockers became Super Stock. It happened to me also as I was racing a 69 Corvette on 7 inch tires and had to make the change or go back to the pure stock rules mentioned above. Thats when I broke everything but the steering wheel and radio....lol. I guess that 1 Year dosent really make any difference though in the big picture.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Hey X Tech Man, had to bring this topic back up...what do you think about bringing back A/FX B/FX C/FX from the old days.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

I definitely think Nostalgia Stock is due.
I watched over 70 Nostalgia Super Stocks run at the NMCA race in August in Bowling Green, KY.

I was impressed how many there were in the class. Of course they all run off an index system that are spaced .5 seconds apart, but still it was cool seeing them run down the track.

I couldn't help but think how cool it would be to see Nostalgia Stockers do the same thing.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote