HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-13-2021, 04:32 PM   #11
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 458 Times in 173 Posts
Default Re: More Than Just a Crisis.....

but u nd a bain to et hat.[/QUOTE]

"I know, why don't we have a spelling contest" (quote, Doc Holliday)

Last edited by SStockDart; 08-13-2021 at 05:57 PM.
SStockDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 06:49 PM   #12

Liked 117 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStockDart View Post
"I know, why don't we have a spelling contest" (quote, Doc Holliday)
Actually, that's a Val Kilmer quote. There is no evidence that Doc Holliday ever said that.

John "Doc" Holliday was, however, a real doctor- he was a dentist who earned his medical license at age 21.

The rest of that movie, as is just about every book or movie about Wyatt Earp, is largely fiction.

First of all, "the Shootout at the OK Corral" did not actually occur at the OK Corrall- it happened in a vacant lot next to a photo studio, six lots west of the OK Corrall.

Wyatt Earp was not an experienced gunfighter. He had been in exactly ONE previous shooting- he was among a group of people who fired at a fleeing criminal in the dark. Wyatt claimed to have killed him, but there is no evidence that any of Wyatt's bullets hit him. The criminal was hit in the leg by someone's bullet, and died a month later of gangrene.

Wyatt Earp was not the primary lawman in "the Shootout at the OK Corrall"- his brother Virgil was. Virgil was the town marshal, as well as a deputy US marshal, and was the only one present with any actual combat experience, as he had been a soldier in the Civil War. Virgil brought younger brother Morgan, baby brother Wyatt with him, no doubt as additional "muscle". That's also why Holliday was there. Virgil deputized all three of them.

Wyatt Earp was not primarily a lawman. Back in 1881, with no internet, television, cell phones, photo ID, or much of anything else, people like Wyatt could be a pimp, a horse thief, a gambler, and then just move to the next town and become a cop. And that's exactly what he did.

Also, Wyatt Earp was not "famous" until several years AFTER his death, when his widow commissioned a largely fictional book about him. Every time the story was retold after that, it just seemed to get bigger and bigger and bigger.

Doc Holliday was well and truly dangerous, but it wasn't because of his skill with firearms- it was because he had tuberculosis, which he caught from his dying mom. TB was known to be highly contageous, ultimately fatal, and there was no cure for it at that time, and that caused his dental practice to fail. He was fearless because he knew he was going to die anyway.

Last edited by 6130; 08-14-2021 at 04:32 PM.
6130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 07:09 PM   #13
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 458 Times in 173 Posts

You just screwed up my entire interpretation of that movie...lol. I was just going through some of my old photos from Tombstone, AZ. I haven't been there for about 30 years. 250 miles. About time to take some grand kids there and tell the story "my way".
"There's no normal life, there's just life. Now get on with it."
Old 08-13-2021, 07:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStockDart View Post
You just screwed up my entire interpretation of that movie...lol. I was just going through some of my old photos from Tombstone, AZ. I haven't been there for about 30 years. 250 miles. About time to take some grand kids there and tell the story "my way".
"There's no normal life, there's just life. Now get on with it."
Did you know that Wyatt Earp's middle initials were "BS"? I'm not kidding- look it up.
Old 08-14-2021, 04:44 PM   #15

One of the most significant deviations from the truth in that movie, is the portrayal of Wyatt's common-law "wife", Josephine. A lot of that is because she went to great lengths to conceal her life.

In the movie, she arrives in Tombstone after the three Earp brothers, and is portrayed as a star of the stage.

In reality, she was a juvenile runaway from San Francisco, in Tombstone years prior to the arrival of the Earps. She was an underaged prostitute living under an assumed name, and was at the time shacking up with Cochise County Sheriff Johnny Behan, who was about twice her age. She left Behan before "the Shootout at the OK Corral", and may not even still have been living in Tombstone when that incident occurred. Josephine and Wyatt hooked up later elsewhere, and they lived together for 46 years afterwards, until his death in 1929. Wrestling promoter Stuart Lake's fictional book about Wyatt came out 2 years later, in 1931.

Last edited by 6130; 08-14-2021 at 05:01 PM.