HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-07-2020, 08:10 PM   #11
Al Wilson

Liked 109 Times in 38 Posts
Default Re: Weather Station Recommendations?

I have an Altronics PerformAire weather station. It has ET prediction, but I don't use it much.

I get my weather data online here
https://airdensityonline.com/tracks/
It closely matches data from the Altronics.

I then use ET Predictor Pro 9 software on my laptop to predict my ET.
http://www.ifamilysoftware.com/Software.html

This is somewhat less costly than Crew Chief Pro. I went this route originally when index racing in NSS. The software gives HP corrected weight which is more useful for index racing.
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-07-2020, 09:40 PM   #12
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

I'm with Ed. I hate hauling a laptop to the track when I'm a "flatbed and tent" racer, but my Altronics was always way off while the same data through Crew Chief Pro was dead on. I just gave the laptop a new SSD so it will start up faster and have better battery life. Hoping for better driving skills this year...
Old 01-08-2020, 10:48 AM   #13
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

I am using the Altronics PC trailer based system and have been happy with it. it took a bit to get used to it as I am not real computer savvy. I like the log book feature and the ability to choose the runs I want as the basis for the predictions. I also like the feature to get the weather conditions from your run and automatically up load that to the log book. No need to run in to the trailer after the run to log the weather. I don't have the paging feature but could add it if I choose. All in all I would recommend it. Good value for the cost if you already have a laptop.

One thing about weather stations is good info in and good info out. You have to know how to read the info and interpret how it will effect the cars performance.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #14
Altronics
Sponsor

Liked 58 Times in 9 Posts

The PerformAIRE Eclipse is the only hand held that will work in direct sunlight.

Built in fan control allows unit to quickly auto stabilize weather readings and generate accurate predictions at you trailer or near the track.

Click on our banner for classracer discount!

Check it out on our website or give us a call for more info.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #15
Jeff Kempton

Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts

Thanks to all for the feedback; it's all very helpful.

I don't have a data logger at present and won't be taking a laptop to the track with me until I do, so the Crew Chief Pro option is out for now. A trailer mounted weather station is not in the budget for the time being. I've heard a lot of good feedback on the Computech RaceAir Pro 1000, and it's on my short list for consideration.

Has anybody had any experience with the Performaire PA-2? It seems to have pretty much the same options as the Computech 1000 but how does it compare in quality, accuracy, and user friendliness?
Jeff Kempton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:41 PM   #16
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is that any weather station needs to build a database of your runs before it becomes truly accurate. The atmospheric data will be accurate, but each engine/car combo is going to respond to changes differently. So the machine needs use to learn your setup. It may also give consistent variations to your actual ET and you need to learn to adjust the ET that comes "out of the box". Using a hand-held and Crew Chief helps. Enter the data by hand and it gives a second opinion for a better idea as to an accurate dial-in. There are hand-helds that link to a laptop but it's not necessary. CCPro can be used stand alone with hand held weather data. There are hand held weather data devices that don't predict ET but still could be used for the atmosphere data CCPro wants. The rest is off your time slip.

I just pulled an app for my phone called AirLab that gives weather info including DA using my iPhone sensors. Lots of options for weather.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:20 PM   #17
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kempton View Post
Thanks to all for the feedback; it's all very helpful.

I don't have a data logger at present and won't be taking a laptop to the track with me until I do, so the Crew Chief Pro option is out for now. A trailer mounted weather station is not in the budget for the time being. I've heard a lot of good feedback on the Computech RaceAir Pro 1000, and it's on my short list for consideration.

Has anybody had any experience with the Performaire PA-2? It seems to have pretty much the same options as the Computech 1000 but how does it compare in quality, accuracy, and user friendliness?
That Raceair Pro weather station is what I have. I write everything into my Jegs Logbook.
My car is fuel injected. My FAST XFI ECU has a built in data logger. I realize I don’t know anywhere near everything, but the data I get from that, entered into Crew Chief Pro predicts my car much closer (usually dead on) than other weather stations myself & my friends have. Due to my wife’s illness I have not raced since late 2017. I hope it all still works if I get to go again.
I hope everybody has a great race season.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:50 PM   #18
Jack McCarthy
VIP Member

Liked 352 Times in 92 Posts

Download HumidCalc app on your phone it will give you all weather info you need free ... just need to manual record / predict 😳👍
Liked
Old 01-09-2020, 10:28 AM   #19
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that any weather station needs to build a database of your runs before it becomes truly accurate.
This is not true. I believe it is true of handheld prediction units. Crew Chief Pro uses its formulas to predict off a single run of your choosing. I like to flip through different 'base runs' and really feel good if the predictions stay consistent.

Once you get a bunch of runs in it, you can try to have the program alter the 'factors' to better suit your car based on the history, but I don't really trust it. I've had the best luck going back to the defaults.
Liked
Old 01-09-2020, 11:27 AM   #20
curtis reed

Liked 89 Times in 50 Posts

I have the Altronics Performaire PC trailer based system without paging. Just a bracket racer. I think it is a great value if you want trailer based. The only thing I have found that I wish were different is that I would like to toggle of and on the rows of information that I don't use such as the tire temp, track temp, delay box, timer/stop. It will cramp the data vertically on a 15" or smaller monitor.

I used a hand held Computech Raceair Pro before that. It worked great for years but when I am using the AC in the trailer I prefer not having to bring it in to read the data and the trailer based will auto fill the weather.

Curtis
curtis reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked