HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 02-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #1
B Aceves

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default Rv towing question about rear overhang.

I'm looking to tow with a motorhome and I know there are a bunch of guys who tow with a class A type . I'm looking at chassis that are around 35 and shorter and was wanting to know what is the maximum length of overhang without the need of a Trailer Toad ? Thx. Bob
B Aceves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
Doug Domm

Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: Rv towing question about rear overhang.

Bob I know this isn't answering your question directly as I have zero towing experience YET with this coach. It's a 29.5 ft. "A" with a good 6 ft or so overhang. What I have seen is most every manufacturer cobbles on some sort of weak knee'd rear extension to the factory chassis. Most all of the GM chassis I've seen are a c-channel about 8" tall and the Fords are about 6" tall but a good double the thickness of the GM stuff. Mine is GM and I put a piece of flat inside the c-channel as big and long as I could fit then boxed the frame wherever I could. It wouldn't hurt to put an X brace in the rear as well. I too will be watching this thread for responses.
Doug Domm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
B Aceves

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Doug, Thx for the response and it is good information to share . I think at 29.5 feet with only 6ft and your extra effort to re enforce everything your way ahead. I do remember a discussion a while back on this subject but most of it was aimed at the trailer toad and I'm trying everything to avoid not only the expense but also the usage of it . I had considered a diesel pusher but the cost of diesel in CA and the outrageous repair cost of diesel's its really not a huge savings to avoid a gas engine anymore. I hope someone will chime in hear and give some info on there experience with the overhang thx.
B Aceves is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-12-2014, 11:36 PM   #4
Danny Ashley

Liked 91 Times in 23 Posts

I too have been looking at motorhomes. Make sure you get the longest wheelbase for the body length you want. There is a ratio percentage whereas you divide the wheelbase by the actual body length in inches and get a percentage. 58% is Excellent, 54-57% is Good, 51-53 is Fatiguing, and 50% and less is dangerous. These numbers aren't set in stone as one of my friends has a Diesel pusher that's 52% and it tows great. Most manufacturers model # usually isn't the exact length. Their 30 footer may be 31 or a 32 may be a 33.5. You can Google any model # and get the specs. I will tell you that Tiffin Allegros are the best overall in the ratio dept. 30DA (208 in. wb) is 55.4%, 32BA (228 in. wb) 57.8% and the 28DA (208 in. wb ) a whopping 62.8%. A lot of the 30 footers only have a 190 wb. Hope this helps. Danny
Danny Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:49 PM   #5
Mark Howes

Liked 68 Times in 22 Posts

Danny

That's good information. Also the better that ratio the better chance that the motorhome will be full frame to the hitch.

The more overhang the more likely there is a scabbed on frame extension which takes a fair bit of beefing up to make sure the motorhome doesn't flex and de-lam

For example I just sold a 31' motorhome on a chev P 30 chassis (1999). Factory frame to the bumper. 33' and above had a scabbed on version which would have been a pain to reinforce

Bought a 34' Workhorse W22 and same thing full frame to back. If you can find a motorhome on the shorter length of the chassis its placed on there is a better chance it will have a stronger frame bumper to bumper and no extensions
Mark Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:15 PM   #6
sst1226

Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts

Going to resurrect this thread with a related question. Looking for an inexpensive starter motor home that is just enough to sleep, shower and escape the elements at the races. Think I may have found it in a Winnebago Warrior 22 from the early 90s. Brochure calculates to a length to wheelbase ratio of 54% (137” wb, 21’-11” length per the manual). Looking to tow a 28’ Haulmark Edge with full wooden cabinets and a 2900lb door car, so not a light unit and probably a lot of tongue weight. The Warrior looks like it has minimal rear overhang past the rear axle so good chance it may have a full frame.

Not looking to take long trips, roughly 70 miles tops from home, Maple Grove, Atco, Cecil. Mostly flat highway drives. I live 20 minutes from Cecil and run 75-80% of my races there.

Anyone tow with one of these short motor homes? Thoughts on this combo? Can I get away without a toad?
Old 05-28-2018, 09:19 PM   #7
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

We used to tow a 24 ft with a 27 foot gasser RV. The rear frame was braced up and was fine. It was a handful in the wind and scary if you needed to stop in a hurry. I would think a bigger trailer smaller RV would be worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sst1226 View Post
Going to resurrect this thread with a related question. Looking for an inexpensive starter motor home that is just enough to sleep, shower and escape the elements at the races. Think I may have found it in a Winnebago Warrior 22 from the early 90s. Brochure calculates to a length to wheelbase ratio of 54% (137” wb, 21’-11” length per the manual). Looking to tow a 28’ Haulmark Edge with full wooden cabinets and a 2900lb door car, so not a light unit and probably a lot of tongue weight. The Warrior looks like it has minimal rear overhang past the rear axle so good chance it may have a full frame.

Not looking to take long trips, roughly 70 miles tops from home, Maple Grove, Atco, Cecil. Mostly flat highway drives. I live 20 minutes from Cecil and run 75-80% of my races there.

Anyone tow with one of these short motor homes? Thoughts on this combo? Can I get away without a toad?
Old 05-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #8
NSSGTO

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

I pulled a 24ft enclosed with a 31ft Class C --E450. The rear frame was braced, air bags, coil over shocks, sway bars. With a W/D hitch it handled OK, when I went to a 28ft ATC trailer I could not hold it on the road in the wind. Changed to a Gulfstream Super C Diesel on a Chevrolet C5500 Kodiak Chassis, Night and Day Difference. No longer tired 3hrs into the trip.

My advice, any RV you get no matter the age or mileage, upgrade the suspension with Airbags, Good Shocks and Swaybars. It will make a huge difference in the way it handles.
NSSGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 10-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #9
garyduncan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What brand of shocks, airbags and swaybars you run on your super c 5500 chevy motorhome
garyduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:52 PM   #10
NSSGTO

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyduncan View Post
What brand of shocks, airbags and swaybars you run on your super c 5500 chevy motorhome
Gary,
The set up I have is

Bilstein Shocks all 4 corners
Airlift 5000 bags rear
Sumo Springs Front (Replaces front jounce bumper)
Super Steer Rear Track bar
Hellwig front swaybar
Roadmaster Reflex Steering Damper

I know it sounds like a lot but these made a huge difference in the way it pulls.
NSSGTO is offline   Reply With Quote