HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 05-24-2022, 01:44 PM   #11
lorenr

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Unhappy Re: Trailer tire issues??

Is storing the trailer away from the sun the most important thing? I have been told that the ultraviolet rays from the sun attack the synthetic rubber in tires, but that ozone from our atmosphere is even more damaging.

I use 295 80 22.5 tires on our motor home and have had one blow out which was unforgettable. Since then I've learned, pull them off after six years from date of manufacture, if in the sun belt and seven to eight years if in a northern US climate.

Also stay away from Michelins. I had steer tires crack at 25 K miles and five years. Rig was mostly stored in a warehouse. Michelin just said it was a bad break. I've since learned that Michelins are mean't for big rigs that wear them out in a couple of years.

Loren
lorenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-24-2022, 02:38 PM   #12
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,628 Times in 502 Posts
Default Re: Trailer tire issues??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenr View Post
Is storing the trailer away from the sun the most important thing? I have been told that the ultraviolet rays from the sun attack the synthetic rubber in tires, but that ozone from our atmosphere is even more damaging.

I use 295 80 22.5 tires on our motor home and have had one blow out which was unforgettable. Since then I've learned, pull them off after six years from date of manufacture, if in the sun belt and seven to eight years if in a northern US climate.

Also stay away from Michelins. I had steer tires crack at 25 K miles and five years. Rig was mostly stored in a warehouse. Michelin just said it was a bad break. I've since learned that Michelins are mean't for big rigs that wear them out in a couple of years.

Loren
I had Michelins on my toter. Same issue. blew the front left tire twice. No more Michelins. The rears will last longer as they are duals and can support more weight. 5 years on steer tires is about all i will let them go. too big of a pain to get a tire guy out at 2 am to change a tire on the side of the road. I put some Kelly KRH on this time around. so far so good and they ride nice.
Old 05-24-2022, 02:44 PM   #13

Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

Yes and I also got away from using trailer tires and when with a truck tire. The tires are going on 3 years with no problem. And as you know I put around 7000-10000 mile a year on them
1299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:55 PM   #14
garyc

Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts

most tire blowouts are from wrong load range and under inflated, use at least a E rated TRAILER tire, had D rated that came on new hallmark, blow all out within 2 years
garyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-24-2022, 04:54 PM   #15
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,791 Times in 571 Posts

16 inch are a huge improvement as already stated!

However, many if not most manufacturers do NOT have
room forothe taller tires on their standard trailers my son tells me
and he builds and sell trailers.

Best to order the taller fenders when trailer is built to make sure.

There are some 225/15 radial load range F and G tires available
in that size if you do not have room for 16 inch. Hercules is one brand that
I remember.

Last edited by GTX JOHN; 05-24-2022 at 09:07 PM.
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:19 AM   #16
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE ZOOM View Post
Im towing a 24ft trailer with 15 inch wheels...wanting to know if installing a 16 inch rim will help with blowing tires out??

Thanks...joe mocci
GOODYEAR ENDURANCE ST225 /75 R15 117N E1 BSW

I got some of these from Discount Tire for my 24ft enclosed trailer and they seem fine so far. They are noticeably heavier than the other tires I have had in the past.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...year-endurance
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:02 PM   #17
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenr View Post

Loren
The sun's rays has never made tires better.

I cover all of mine on all trailers and vehicles
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:08 PM   #18
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

I try to run LT truck tires on all of my trailers now with 16's.
After I found out that trailer tires are not regulated, I don't want anything to do with ST trailer tires anymore.
Plus, I have had too many blowouts with ST tires.

The problem is there are maybe just 2 aftermarket companies that I have found that carry 16 inch wheels with a 5 lug, 4.5 inch bolt pattern. Both are 7 inches wide. No one makes a 16 x 6 with the 5 on 4 1/2 b.p.

The other option is 16 " wheels from a Ford 5 lug vehicle but those are 7 inchers as well.

Last edited by ALMACK; 05-25-2022 at 03:11 PM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote