HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
footbrakesbc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default EFI vs Carb

Would you stay efi or switch to carb for bracket racing? I have plenty of people that can help me with a carb, but efi is kind of slim. Also would a Victor Jr. Intake with a carb on a ls1 clear a stock hood? Would I have to cut into the cowl?
footbrakesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 400 Times in 191 Posts
Default Re: EFI vs Carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by footbrakesbc View Post
efi is kind of slim. Also would a Victor Jr. Intake with a carb on a ls1 clear a stock hood? Would I have to cut into the cowl?
The first question you answered. The second question...cutting/milling down the carb pad 3/8" on the manifold is all that would need to be done IF it didn't fit.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
Eman

Liked 105 Times in 60 Posts

If I was young and starting out it's a no brainer to go EFI. If you want to race you need to learn and there's plenty out there for you to learn from.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
footbrakesbc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks 1320racer and Eman. This year I'm going to try to run the camaro in footbrake, then according to how it goes I will switch to carb. The car is a 2001 z28 with headers. Within the next month or so I'm getting a tune, converter and possibly some 4.10 gears. I want to be able to drive it to the track.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
footbrakesbc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also to make the car consistent I've heard two different things. 1. Leave it running all day.(Don't want to do) and 2. Disconnect the battery before running, but I heard some people say it makes the car run like crap afterwards.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:20 AM   #6
nj02z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by footbrakesbc View Post
Also to make the car consistent I've heard two different things. 1. Leave it running all day.(Don't want to do) and 2. Disconnect the battery before running, but I heard some people say it makes the car run like crap afterwards.
No need to do any of this. We run two 4th gen Camaros and never once let them run or disconnected the battery. Delete the torque management and zero out a few tables so the car does not try to make big changes and they will run the number. My wifes car is driven to the track with a Yank 4000 SS converter,3.73 gears , full exhaust and drag radials and will run in the 11s with nothing more. My car is more race oriented and runs a open loop speed density tune ( no maf,no o2 sensors). If you can find a good tuner to set it up for racing great or better yet buy HP Tuners (highly recommended) and learn to do it yourself .Good luck.
nj02z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:54 PM   #7
footbrakesbc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Did you notice a big difference in consistency when it was put in open loop?
Old 12-31-2015, 08:25 PM   #8
nj02z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It takes away some variables .The car is running off the volumetric efficiency table so it has no way of changing up fueling on you. It runs off a pre determined fuel table. My car is cam only and runs better olsd but my wifes car is stock engine and runs just as consistent with regular tune, At wot they are in open loop anyway.. I made 3 passes in her car in November within .003. I believe the Yank converter helps a bunch also. They can go 1.52 60', Make sure you put a good tire under the car with a 4l60e trans because of the 3.06 first gear. Mt 275/50/15 on a 15 x 10 wheel.
nj02z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:02 PM   #9
footbrakesbc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back from the dead... I'm setting my 2001 Camaro up for footbrake. Everything is stock, but I bought some longtube headers. Originally I was going to just put headers, converter, tune and some 4.10 gears. Now I want to make this a track dedicated car. I was thinking headers, 4.10 gears, carb w/ MSD 6010 and a th350. Going to stick with stock rearend w/ hardened 28 splines until it breaks. I want to get it into the 7.40ish range. What else would be needed for 7.40-7.50? Is this a good combo? Don't think I want to mess with efi. Want to make this consistent as possible. Looking to have this up and running in about 2 months.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:04 PM   #10
footbrakesbc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj02z View Post
It takes away some variables .The car is running off the volumetric efficiency table so it has no way of changing up fueling on you. It runs off a pre determined fuel table. My car is cam only and runs better olsd but my wifes car is stock engine and runs just as consistent with regular tune, At wot they are in open loop anyway.. I made 3 passes in her car in November within .003. I believe the Yank converter helps a bunch also. They can go 1.52 60', Make sure you put a good tire under the car with a 4l60e trans because of the 3.06 first gear. Mt 275/50/15 on a 15 x 10 wheel.
nj02z are you on ls1tech?