HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-24-2022, 09:33 PM   #71
Mike McCandless

Liked 55 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: 65-85 under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Morgan View Post
I think thats a good question as to how much new blood is coming into the sport. We have seen a few posts on new people and projects. We all know it is usually cheeper to buy a running combination. The truth be known many people dont have that much cash to dole out at once. Iam currently a friend build a car that will be class legal but will have a bracket motor in it to sort out the car and then move to super stock. I think 75% of the racers will not be affected by the new rules.
On the mopar side we have the joy of never having parts to purchase from the manufacture, which makes it 2x more difficult. There are solid combo's to run in various cars, but next to impossible to get any pieces. I can't speak to how things are on the Chevy or Ford side. When I posted my ad up for S/SS cars, got offered a lot of great advice, almost all combos that don't currently have parts available. The few that are out there are being hoarded by guys running those platforms as back ups, which I understand. It has been quite the challenge to put together 2 good cars over the winter that at least have a shot in a heads up run, but also be consistent for the eliminator. We will have next to zero time to test before racing, so that should be fun . If it was easy, everyone would do it, but that's not what S/SS is about.
Mike McCandless is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-24-2022, 11:40 PM   #72
B Parker

Liked 2,312 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Morgan View Post
I think thats a good question as to how much new blood is coming into the sport. We have seen a few posts on new people and projects. We all know it is usually cheeper to buy a running combination. The truth be known many people dont have that much cash to dole out at once. Iam currently a friend build a car that will be class legal but will have a bracket motor in it to sort out the car and then move to super stock. I think 75% of the racers will not be affected by the new rules.
Kirk the AHFS as it was written affected 75%. Have you been to a race? Stock racer's are playing the run the car soft game most of the time. Again look at Indy it's an indication how fast some of these comb's can go with no AHFS. And to repeat myself Indy is about 2 tenths slow compared to good air. If your friend is building a Super Stock car there is nothing cheap about it. Good luck
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 11:47 PM   #73
B Parker

Liked 2,312 Times in 455 Posts

When my brother and I started racing Stock in 1976 it was one of the few classes that paid money at the local tracks. We wanted to run a class that paid money and you could race at a National Event. Anyone that is starting out today with the big bracket races and what some tracks pay on a weekly basis would be not right to build a Stocker. Then again if your not right you will fit right in.
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 05:07 PM   #74
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 821 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
The indexes, honestly, haven't kept up with technology. Nor, unfortunately, have they kept up with what NHRA has allowed to pass tech in Stock. NHRA made those choices. A lot of them I certainly don't agree with myself.

Sadly, a lot of combinations haven't, whether or not they can.

I can see where people want the indexes lowered, and why. Even though lowering the indexes would make my life harder, and returning to Stock more questionable. And I'd dearly love to return. having a life threatening disease will make you want to live, and do things. It changes your perspective. Drastically. We won class a few times. We came close to a national event win a couple of times. And I left Indy with my tail between my legs. I have things I'd like to do before I take a dirt nap, things I've come close to.

Racing Stock is a series of choices. NHRA makes a lot of them for you. But you make a lot for yourself. If you choose to race Stock, you chose to race under the rules as they stand.

You choose your car (unless you have a partner who owns it). Now, it's up to you how you choose it, and what factors you considered. Is it something you had? Is it something you got cheap? Did you choose it because you like it? Did you choose it because you have an emotional attachment? But the factors you take into consideration when you choose, are your choice.

If you didn't choose it because it's a competitive combination, and it has support from the aftermarket, then you made the choice, and you don't really have a ton of room to complain. If you chose to try to race Stock on a shoestring budget, you're not going to be very fast, unless you're really good, not many of us are that good. Your choice. If you're not going to tear your stuff down and update, upgrade, test, etc, that's your choice, you chose not to be competitive. It takes the willingness to test, tune, and do R&D to be competitive. If there are cores available, someone will make cams for you. The piston companies will make pistons, and Total Seal makes lot of rings. There are valve companies that will make you valves. If you chose a combination where your stuff has to be "one off", the key phrase is "you chose a combination".

Am I a fan of what NHRA is letting through tech now? Hell NO! I'd love to see NHRA turn Wesley and Travis loose, and let them deal with it. Am I a fan of superseded parts? Not really, but I do see a reason in some cases. I just bought another cast iron original head, to have a second pair of original cast iron heads. I bought a set back that I sold. I don't like the cost to be competitive. I'm not running my own, and we've parked the orange Camaro, as much due to cost as anything. We know what it costs to compete at the level we want to. We don't feel like we can spend that money right now. We're not crying because others can. We're just parked.

As my late friend and fellow racer, Ronnie Duke, was fond of saying, "all drag racing takes is time and money. All your time, and all your money." Being competitive is a choice, if you're going to be competitive, you're going to devote a lot of your life, time and treasure. In Stock and Super Stock especially. And, as Dirty Harry Callahan wisely said, "A man's got to know his limitations".
Billy I couldn't have said it any better. You choose what you choose and know the rules and tech and have consequences for what you do or don't do.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:57 AM   #75
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,770 Times in 1,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
Billy I couldn't have said it any better. You choose what you choose and know the rules and tech and have consequences for what you do or don't do.
Barry, Glenn, Alan, you can call it a "Christmas epiphany" if you'd like but after looking at Nitro Joe's and some recent history, I will no longer dis-agree with moving the indexes! We all deserve what we get.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 12:18 PM   #76
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,030 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Barry, Glenn, Alan, you can call it a "Christmas epiphany" if you'd like but after looking at Nitro Joe's and some recent history, I will no longer dis-agree with moving the indexes! We all deserve what we get.

Billy,
It's easy to look over how fast people are going if you're concentrating on your combination that's unusual, and fits in a class that isn't too popular. I understood where you were coming from. What passes for "progress" sneaks up on everyone, especially us old guys. We don't necessarily like it, or agree with it. A lot of it I don't call progress.

I'm not a fan of the superseded parts, but I understand the demand. I know how long I searched for Chevrolet parts that I could afford. I think it's too bad a lot of the others have it even worse.

For some, there's nothing available to replace what they either can't find, or can't afford. The thing is, you can't punish everyone for the shortcomings of some, and you can't hold everyone back, either. If you told people "they don't make those for everyone, so you can't have it, even if they're common for you", no one would put up with it. This isn't third grade, where the teacher says "have you got a piece of gum (or candy) for everyone". It's not incumbent upon one group top have something made for every group. And since combinations are factored individually.....

What I don't see as progress is what's getting through tech these days. I have a very close friend who I won't name, but we were watching Stock at Indy, and watching a few cars run, he looked at me and said "I could put his heads on my Super Stocker and it wouldn't slow down 0.05". I took him some Stock heads I had for a customer, and he looked at them and told me "these heads would probably pick up your buddy's Super Stock motor about 0.50".

We literally asked about the valve job rule for Stock, and were told by tech guys, "Just don't make us look stupid". Well, with a good TIG welder and the right blast cleaner, I can do a lot that won't make you look stupid, because if you don't have an unmodified head laying there, or you haven't seen a thousand of them, you won't SEE what we did, so you won't "look stupid". I couldn't get an actual answer as to whether or not a radius valve job was legal. "We'd have to see it". It's a radius valve job, here's the cutter I want to use. "We'd have to see it". So if you decide you don't like it, you can't tell me in advance, but I'll have to cut eight seats out of two heads, and put eight more in, and hope all the work doesn't mess up the rest of the work, and hurt the heads.

Of course, the problem is, when caught, a bunch of childish people want to sue. So, NHRA doesn't want the fight. It wrecks the class, but what do we do? We as racers can't fix it. Like a lot of things, I don't know what the solution is. I know that I/we won't do it. We may not be as fast. But we'll be truly legal.

I love these classes, I want to see them survive and thrive. But I don't know the solutions, or claim to.
Old 12-26-2022, 01:43 PM   #77
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,770 Times in 1,518 Posts

Alan, everything you've said here is pure truth. Thank you.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 04:03 PM   #78
Stan Weiss

Liked 544 Times in 291 Posts

Wasn't there a rumor a couple if years ago that NHRA was going to purchase a Faro Arm system and measure a number of stock heads and use them as a reference against what people were running?

Stan
Stan Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:23 PM   #79
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

Is there anywhere currently where you can see the average for your combination? Or are any of the places that do stats currently planning on doing this? Since it could matter at years end.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:31 PM   #80
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 821 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Petrie E395 View Post
Is there anywhere currently where you can see the average for your combination? Or are any of the places that do stats currently planning on doing this? Since it could matter at years end.
Yeah do it yourself …..