HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 06-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
Floyd Staggs
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 95 Posts
Default Re: transbrake question

Bill, I was joking about the glide but I do have all the good stuff already. I've learned from past breakage where the weak parts were. I wouldn't say it's bulletproof but it's pretty darn close.
I was kinda hoping it was the parts I am using instead of the whole package.
By the way this is a street legal, pump gas driver. But at 1 mpg I don't drive it much.
Thanks for the input.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #12
SG2588

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Your problem with you trying to hit a .400 light is you need to go on a 1000# diet. You are trying to move too much weight in too little time. That extra 0.10 of a secound may not seem like much, but it's huge in the world of physics. I'd suggest you try Super Street and have some fun, save some money, and stop frustrating your self.
SG2588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #13
Floyd Staggs
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG2588 View Post
Your problem with you trying to hit a .400 light is you need to go on a 1000# diet. You are trying to move too much weight in too little time. That extra 0.10 of a secound may not seem like much, but it's huge in the world of physics. I'd suggest you try Super Street and have some fun, save some money, and stop frustrating your self.
I know you are right but I like to play in the nostalgia Heritage series in D/gas. I qualify decent but I'm generally a duck first round. I'd probably be better off running hot rod in that series.
Thanks for the input.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:21 PM   #14
68camaroSS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"ATI's are just that slow. Had the same problem in my car. Switched it out to a Coan transbrake and picked up about .030-.040. "
I had heard that the Hipster Transbrake was the fastest.... Anybody had any experience with them. Is the Coan faster?
68camaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #15
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 699 Times in 203 Posts

Floyd, I've built a lot of 400's with th ATI brakes,they are fine for a .5 full tree and bracket racing but for .370 pro tree racing with a 400,only the Griner will do. ..they are just that fast,and also have the cleanst ,fastest shifts of any th400 valve body,period. , I ran a Griner brake in a 400 for years ,before switching to a glide,and it was only .015 off his killer mk IV glide brake..........ATI sells them for serious applications,because they know the limitations of their brake........As far as strength,the 400 planets and output shaft are plenty strong, the input shaft hub area in the foward drum eventually becomes the weakest link,altho I've seen some stand up to 900 plus hp in near two ton cars. .....I would say the Griner is worth at least .03 to .05 hundreths over the ATI..........Tom
Old 06-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #16
S/G 386N

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to S/G 386N

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68camaroSS View Post
"ATI's are just that slow. Had the same problem in my car. Switched it out to a Coan transbrake and picked up about .030-.040. "
I had heard that the Hipster Transbrake was the fastest.... Anybody had any experience with them. Is the Coan faster?
I have heard Hipster and Grinder are the 2 fastest. The Coan is just what I had left over from an old transmission laying around from a '69 Camaro I used to race. Called ATI, and they said I have the fastest brake they make in the transmission they sold me.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:37 AM   #17
68camaroSS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/G 386N View Post
I have heard Hipster and Grinder are the 2 fastest. The Coan is just what I had left over from an old transmission laying around from a '69 Camaro I used to race. Called ATI, and they said I have the fastest brake they make in the transmission they sold me.
Unfortunately, it seems every manufacture you talk to will probably tell you their unit is the fastest and best on the market. In the Hipster website, it states their brake release time is .018 (the ProGlide brake). Don't know if this is fast or slow in comparison. The other manufactures are reluctant to provide a number to compare their's with, although I am sure they know what it is, as it should be easy for them to measure how quick their unit releases. This data would be a good starting point to isolate the transbrake reaction time from the other variables that make up the total car/driver reaction time.
68camaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #18
Floyd Staggs
VIP Member

I would say that the experience and advice from the guys that have tried the various units is probably more right on than any advertising or test results the manufacturers put out.
I'll just be satisfied for now with running the .500 tree unless their is a particular Heritage race I want to go to with my buddies. Who knows, I might get lucky and get somebody to go red on me.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #19
S/G 386N

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to S/G 386N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd Staggs View Post
I would say that the experience and advice from the guys that have tried the various units is probably more right on than any advertising or test results the manufacturers put out.
I'll just be satisfied for now with running the .500 tree unless their is a particular Heritage race I want to go to with my buddies. Who knows, I might get lucky and get somebody to go red on me.
Have you tried to stage deeper? I had to do that in my Camaro. Let the other guy pre-stage first, then you roll through the pre-stage to the stage. It's fairly consistant on how deep you stage, and you're deeper, giving you a better light. I won 3 rounds at US Nationals in '06 doing it this way before I went .142 red in the 4th round. I know a lot of guys with slower cars that do this with success.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #20
Floyd Staggs
VIP Member

Hi JJ,
That is my plan but I've been footbraking so long and just barely lighting the second bulb that I forget just out of habit. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
Out here at Fontucky I've talked the starter into holding my button on a long cord and letting it go at the same time he does the tree. They take pity on an old man out here. LOL