HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 02-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #11
63corvette

Liked 279 Times in 87 Posts
Default Re: When does SFI cert. run out?

Stroud will continue to restring them each year.
They have done mine now 3 times I believe.
I use their cam lock system.
I live about 250 miles away from Stroud in Okla City OK. I UPS them in on Monday and I have them back by Friday the same week. Usually they show up on Thursday. The service is great and the cost is reasonable at $50 plus shipping.
Stroud is the only way to go for me.
You should call and let them know they are coming and they will be expecting them.
My 2 Cents

Last edited by 63corvette; 02-03-2009 at 11:30 AM. Reason: additional info
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

Most of the belt mfgrs. only reweb and recert one time....After that,I take them to the flea market. You usually can get at least $50 for a set and sometimes more. ...Last Spring at Maple Groves flea market I sold 6 sets to one guy for $375. ....He uses them in 4 wheelers,they dont check the dates.......I dont mind replacing the belts,as they do deteriorate from the UV rays, but recerting a piece of metal like a trans or flexplate shield is a shameless money making scam by SFI. ..........Tom

Last edited by Tom Goldman; 02-03-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Tom Goldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I agree, I had a flex plate re-certified over the winter, was told to ship it back because they had to inspect and re-weld the plate. When I got it back it was the same plate I sent them, not touched except for a new SFI sticker, they didnt even re-paint the thing for $50. After shipping both ways my re-cert on the flex plate cost me $68. Worst part of it all was that the plate had only been used three races(took me that long to get the car done). Still a crock considering if thats all they were going to do they could have just mailed me the stupid sticker and saved me $$$. But I guess its still better than having to buy a new one at over $200.

I dont understand why some of these certs are so short, other than a deal cut with NHRA to keep us sportsman racers broke.
NMRA 2012 Outlaw 10.5 #10
Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #14
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have to disagree with ya on the UV rays thing Tom. Most all cars are in the trailer or put up for the winter. What little time they see in the daylight they would take 20 years to deteriorate...that's my .02
Bob Verwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:40 PM   #15
Greg Barsamian
VIP Member

Liked 388 Times in 82 Posts

The 2 year cert on seat-belts is rediculous. Some of us only race 7 months of the year?
There's absolutly no reason other than keeping seat belt manufacturers in business.
Belt certs should be good for at least 4 to 5 years.
Greg Barsamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #16
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Verwold View Post
Have to disagree with ya on the UV rays thing Tom. Most all cars are in the trailer or put up for the winter. What little time they see in the daylight they would take 20 years to deteriorate...that's my .02
Bob, when I raced my Willys coupe ,I would agree with you 100%,no daylight ever got into the car thru those little windows ,but now with the roadster, after 1 season,I can see fading and degradiation of the harness...Nylon really dos not like UV.........I'd say on an average race weekend my car is out in the direct sunlight at least 25 to 30 hours ......As I understand it the 2 year rule came about due to our friends, the New Jersey State Police,who oversee racing in that fair state. ....Back in the '80's they decieded to enforce their 2 year rule,which had been in place for circle track racers,upon drag racing. While it does make sense for a dirt modified that gets a pressure washing anywhere and everywhere to replace the belts more frequently,3 or 4 years might be more reasonable for a closed drag car. ........I have no problem replacing something like belts,gloves ect. stuff like that does wear out, but stamped formed shields or cast trans cases, just do not make sense,even at a 5 year interval....That is for the financial benefit of the SFI . I dont believe the manufacturers make much out of the $35 they charge for the recert, altho I may be wrong.......Tom
Old 02-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #17
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guess I'm one of the old block headed door car guys, and wasn't thinking about the roadsters and dragsters, you are correct about the sun on those.........but I've seen plenty of them under awnings...............
Bob Verwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #18
SGSST109E

Liked 124 Times in 58 Posts

I have used M&R belts and nets for the last 12 years. As long as the hardware is good they will re-belt and certify, around $40 to $45. The price has been the same for years.
SGSST109E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:17 AM   #19
Lou SG2340

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Verwold View Post
Did the same with mine this year with RCI but it was a one time deal. Are the STROUD an ongoing thing or a one time thing. Need to cut corners where we can...................
Been using Stroud Cam Locks since 2000. Been rewebed every 2 yrs since.
Lou SG2340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #20
SC1448

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cool Re: When does SFI cert. run out?

I just sent my M&R belts back a couple weeks ago for the re-web (which is why I bought them, plus, they're "local" so....) and was told that they no longer re-web them there at the Vineland, NJ plant but send them to "Oklahoma" instead. I asked if Stroud was doing their work and was given a sheepish "no" for an answer but... We'll see what the return address label is on the box when they come back and also what happens in 2 years when they need to be done again.
-Don
SC1448 is offline   Reply With Quote