HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-04-2022, 02:14 PM   #1
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,617 Times in 1,290 Posts
Smile Off season maintenance, don’t forget about your health…..

Engine, trans, rear gears, shocks, will all be scrutinized during the off season. Guys, how bout a health check up ? Are you visiting the doctor at least once a year for blood work ? Are you getting the minimum of TWO dental cleanings per year. A HEALTHY heart starts with your teeth. When you turn 45 it’s a good idea to get that FIRST COLONOSCOPY ….it’s not the COLONOSCOPY that you fear, it’s the prep work the night before. It’s always a good time of the year to get that PROSTATE checked out ….LOL !!!!!!!!!!! I have quite a few friends who are long time smokers. Did you know that for 150 bucks you can get a cat scan screening for lung cancer ? A little preventative maintenance can go a long way …..And for the WOMEN racers , do you think I forgot about you ??? don’t put it off another year, please get the Mammogram …..We can’t race without you '!!!!!!!!

Last edited by MR DERBY CITY; 12-04-2022 at 02:22 PM.
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:32 PM   #2
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,230 Times in 596 Posts
Default Re: Off season maintenance, don’t forget about your health….

If you look at the number of threads on here about people struggling with health issues or that we have lost in the past couple of years taking care of your health is a no brainer.

If YOU aren't in good health, doesn't matter how good your race car is prepared. Think about that for a minute??

I know that I am no longer an active racer, but I do get to go to races and help my friends. That is just as much fun for me.

I just talked with my personal doctor on Friday. The results of some minor changes in diet made life very fun again. Yes, I am on a pill for Cholesterol. My Total Cholesterol dropped from 255 to 171. My LDL (which is the bad stuff) went from 169 to 103. ALL other numbers are in very good shape, so I can be as active as I want to be next year. I have been given permission to Party like a Rock Star ( in moderation of course).

As a point of reference - I will be 73 on the 9th of this month.

Last edited by Carguy49; 12-04-2022 at 04:39 PM.
Carguy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:05 AM   #3
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,040 Times in 272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
Engine, trans, rear gears, shocks, will all be scrutinized during the off season. Guys, how bout a health check up ? Are you visiting the doctor at least once a year for blood work ? Are you getting the minimum of TWO dental cleanings per year. A HEALTHY heart starts with your teeth. When you turn 45 it’s a good idea to get that FIRST COLONOSCOPY ….it’s not the COLONOSCOPY that you fear, it’s the prep work the night before. It’s always a good time of the year to get that PROSTATE checked out ….LOL !!!!!!!!!!! I have quite a few friends who are long time smokers. Did you know that for 150 bucks you can get a cat scan screening for lung cancer ? A little preventative maintenance can go a long way …..And for the WOMEN racers , do you think I forgot about you ??? don’t put it off another year, please get the Mammogram …..We can’t race without you '!!!!!!!!

MJ,
Well said my brother. There but for the grace of God go I. Or, as one of my oncologists told me a month ago, "A few years ago, as healthy as you are otherwise, and as good as your habits are, I wouldn't have been able to help you."

I'm getting the second chance, a second chance that too many haven't gotten, and too many still won't get. But if I had kept waiting.....and still, I waited way too long, stupidly, foolishly. I just went through thirty-five radiation treatments, on my neck, throat, and mouth. Five days a week, seven straight weeks. I've lost seventy pounds. I can barely taste food, and what I can taste, tastes terrible. I've had several chemo treatments. I will be MONTHS, even YEARS recovering from this.

I spent Thanksgiving home, too sick and tired to travel to see family. I'm sitting here, when I should be packing and loading the truck for the PRI Show, I'm not going, for the first time this century, actually more than 27 years. I'm not even sure that I'll be able to enjoy Christmas gatherings and dinners. And mostly because of my own stupidity, because this could have been easier, and been over a lot sooner.

I still have half a dozen follow up visits, and scans, and we're not even going to be sure that I'm okay for a couple of months. But God has blessed me, my prognosis is great.

We've lost too many already, because we're not taking advantage of early detection, we're not taking care of ourselves, and we're not paying attention. WE convince ourselves. I know. I did it. I knew something was wrong. I convinced myself nothing was wrong. It didn't show up overnight. It never really does.

So far, I'm fortunate, as bad as this treatment and recovery has been. I'm grateful to my God, my family, and my doctors. I didn't post this because I want sympathy. We had decided NOT to post this, and to keep this a private matter. I don't LIKE posting this, it's not something that I wanted to talk about. Honestly, I'd MUCH rather that no one else ever knew. But I'm sitting here watching and counting members of my racing family that I will never see on this Earth again, because they weren't as fortunate, or didn't go get checked. It doesn't have to be that way. Don't LET it be that way.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:51 AM   #4
Kevin Panzino

Liked 550 Times in 106 Posts

Agreed 100%. I’m a survivor of lymphoma. 1998. Didn’t even smoke my pipe back then. Beat it. Forever grateful.
But yes, I too am trying to cut back on my pipe, and I’ve reserved myself to put the embarrassment of a colonoscopy behind me and just go get the rotor rooter done this winter!

Kp
Kevin Panzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:45 AM   #5
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,230 Times in 596 Posts

Alan, thank you for sharing. Thank God you are getting a second chance. I pray that life will get better for you and your family. That is all I will say and I totally respect your reasoning for privacy.

Kevin, a survivor is a very cool place to be.

God Bless both of you.

If any of you are having thoughts about this whole deal, take a read of the thread posted by Jeff Niceswanger.- - Prayers for Brother John. What that family is going through is horrible, especially this time of year.

Last edited by Carguy49; 12-07-2022 at 11:58 AM.
Carguy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:00 PM   #6
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,617 Times in 1,290 Posts
Exclamation Re: Off season maintenance, don’t forget about your health….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
MJ,
Well said my brother. There but for the grace of God go I. Or, as one of my oncologists told me a month ago, "A few years ago, as healthy as you are otherwise, and as good as your habits are, I wouldn't have been able to help you."

I'm getting the second chance, a second chance that too many haven't gotten, and too many still won't get. But if I had kept waiting.....and still, I waited way too long, stupidly, foolishly. I just went through thirty-five radiation treatments, on my neck, throat, and mouth. Five days a week, seven straight weeks. I've lost seventy pounds. I can barely taste food, and what I can taste, tastes terrible. I've had several chemo treatments. I will be MONTHS, even YEARS recovering from this.

I spent Thanksgiving home, too sick and tired to travel to see family. I'm sitting here, when I should be packing and loading the truck for the PRI Show, I'm not going, for the first time this century, actually more than 27 years. I'm not even sure that I'll be able to enjoy Christmas gatherings and dinners. And mostly because of my own stupidity, because this could have been easier, and been over a lot sooner.

I still have half a dozen follow up visits, and scans, and we're not even going to be sure that I'm okay for a couple of months. But God has blessed me, my prognosis is great.

We've lost too many already, because we're not taking advantage of early detection, we're not taking care of ourselves, and we're not paying attention. WE convince ourselves. I know. I did it. I knew something was wrong. I convinced myself nothing was wrong. It didn't show up overnight. It never really does.

So far, I'm fortunate, as bad as this treatment and recovery has been. I'm grateful to my God, my family, and my doctors. I didn't post this because I want sympathy. We had decided NOT to post this, and to keep this a private matter. I don't LIKE posting this, it's not something that I wanted to talk about. Honestly, I'd MUCH rather that no one else ever knew. But I'm sitting here watching and counting members of my racing family that I will never see on this Earth again, because they weren't as fortunate, or didn't go get checked. It doesn't have to be that way. Don't LET it be that way.
Alan , a BIG Thank You for your post. I had no idea of your current BATTLE. I have successfully enrolled you in MJ’s prayer list. It’s a long list that includes many current and former racers. The initial purpose of my post was to spread health awareness among the racers. Your courageous post about your health issues reinforced that. If we can get one racer who is on the fence regarding calling a doctor for an appointment, then WE have succeeded. DON’T PUT IT OFF, GUYS !!!! Thank You Alan….Prayers sent…
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 02:49 PM   #7
Al Wilson

Liked 109 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Panzino View Post
Agreed 100%. I’m a survivor of lymphoma. 1998. Didn’t even smoke my pipe back then. Beat it. Forever grateful.
But yes, I too am trying to cut back on my pipe, and I’ve reserved myself to put the embarrassment of a colonoscopy behind me and just go get the rotor rooter done this winter!

Kp
Currently undergoing treatment for non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Have finished three of six infusions (monthly). Trying to keep things as normal as possible.
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 04:07 PM   #8
Dave Ley

Liked 242 Times in 43 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Dave Ley

Great advice!!! Because of the schedule that I have kept over the last many many years, I didn't take the time to take care of things. Over the last 4 years I have had a huge problem with leg pain and walking. It got so bad that from the end of March of this year until August, I could hardly walk at all. August 25th I had my right hip replaced and then, a few weeks ago on November 17th, I had my left hip replaced and am in recovery now with PT 3 times a week. I am finally doing good. The point I am making is that it was my own fault for living in the pain that I was in. You must pay attention to your body signals, especially since a lot of us are seniors. I didn't and lived through hell the past few years that I didn't have to.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:42 AM   #9
Alicia

Liked 122 Times in 22 Posts

Really important message, Michael, thank you. So refreshing to hear this coming from a man because some of y'all sure as hell don't listen to the women in your lives. LOL.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:46 PM   #10
Fireofficer74

Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts

Every year I get a complete physical, blood urine, ekg, chest xray and sonogram of the arteries.

I had my colonoscopy 12 years ago, half way through they woke me up.

they asked me if i wanted an endoscopy, I said yes, as ling as they used a new camera tube.

Thats all i got folks.
Fireofficer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked